PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Ct70h 1970
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a ct70h nice bike, but the lights didn’t work , replaced the battery and ignition switch and traced the wiring , it’s a 6 volt , the part I just can figure is the wiring diagram , it seems the red to the front is always hot and that selecting position two on the ignition activates the black ground, the solo green wire from the ignition switch does not exist on my wiring diagram , I am confused 🤷‍♂️ Lastly the wiring shows a black ground to the coil I don’t get that and on the diagrams they show “green tube” what is that ? Any help appreciated 54F9A293-BAF5-46B4-A33A-F5B90A977E89.jpeg
54F9A293-BAF5-46B4-A33A-F5B90A977E89.jpeg
54F9A293-BAF5-46B4-A33A-F5B90A977E89.jpeg image.jpg

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
That extra green wire is the ground for the switch, even though it is not in the diagram, it is implied by the ground symbol. Never been sure what they mean by the "green tube," but it is just their way of saying it is changing from the blue wire to green color (once again green is ground.) The headlight will work only when the engine is running with the key in third position. There is a safety feature on the bike that runs the ignition black coil wire through the harness to the battery plug. On the battery side plug, there should be a little loop of wire that connects the two black wires coming from the harness. This is to make sure there is a battery in place, which helps the horn to work, keep the tail light and brake light working when the engine is off, and act as a buffer against voltage spikes. One of the odd things is the horn and brake lights work with the key off, a real pisser if you should happen to lean your bike in a way the brake lever gets pressed, and come back to a dead battery. Not sure if this is what you are talking about as far as the black wire coming off the coil, but there should be only one black wire from the coil to the harness.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
You should be using a Honda diagram.

The headlight is powered by the yellow coming out of the stator. It is AC power direct from the stator, not DC from the battery. So, if you're checking with a tester, check AC, with the engine running, and the switch turned to 3rd position..."lights on". The HL circuit is only hot when the engine is running.
There are no black ground wires. The grounds are all green. Black wires are the ignition circuit.

Your CT70H has a semi-auto engine..? It might not actually be a H. Is there a H in the vin #? or in the engine #?

·
Registered
Ct70h 1970
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great reply!! The vin is ct70h 162656 , someone put the three speed auto in it, I plan to find a manual four speed or go for an after market at some point , of course that means going to twelve volt...This wiring set up defies what I am used to I put LEDs in all the lights but didn't know the headlight requires the motor to be running, new to me ... Thanks again I am sure there will be more help needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts