PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting together a 76 CT70 (with the manual adjustable tensioner) and was wondering a few things about the timing chain tension. Mainly, how much tension should there be with 0 tension added to the actually tensioner? It was pretty tricky getting the sprocket on the cam. I tore the bike back down to check and with no tension being applied, there isn’t much play at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Video that might help

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
While that stator plate is off is a good time to set the tensioner. You'll be able to pay attention to the feel of your screwdriver, as the tensioner starts to tighten up...compared to how much pressure you're putting on the chain. So then when the stator plate is on, and you readjust the tensioner, you'll have a better idea of what's goin on in there.
I would just put light pressure on your new chain right now. It will stretch after a pretty short time. They're always pretty tight when they're new. All you really need from the tensioner is to keep the chain from flapping around in there, and keep the Xtra slack where you want it.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Talk about other end of the spectrum. I guess because it was on my brain...was riding my beater z50R for a hot sec today and at the top of the revs, it has this terrible rattle. It had a tough life before me and I have given it a good once over. Anyway, I pulled it in and got into it. Pulled the stator cover and MAN!! Chain is crazy loose. Like, I can almost pick off the crank gear. I took the tension spring out and made sure it was all free. Stretched the spring a bit to see if it needed a bit more (new one on order) and put it all back together. Seemed to help but nothing more then a bandaid till a new chain comes in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts