PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought some crf70 forks. I have to tear them apart for some fabricating and some powdercoating or painting. It has BBR HD springs already. I am wondering though what 20wt oil I should use(told should be 20wt). Also I was told use oem seals vs BBR or anything. What about Moose or are OEM honda the way to go? Do I really need to buy those darn expensive BBR rods? or not worth it.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
the dampening rods help but you could put rods out of a XR/CRF80 I have been told and it does the same thing.....I think I had used Maxima 20wt fork oil but any quality fork oil will work.....OEM or Moose seals will be fine

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I've always used Bel-ray for my fork oil, but like doopsx3 said, any of those "Good names" should be just fine.

I think its around 3.5-4 fl. oz of oil per leg.

Powdercoat them for sure, I'm sure some will argue, but on the fork legs I just dont think paint will hold up at all...If you're taking them apart you may as well do it good and right the first time around.

I was just saying before, if you ever have to replace your seals, to NOT get the bbr's and get OEM instead..

what kind of fabricating you planning on doing??

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
having my guy weld on some tabs and then fabricate the spacer brackets so the caliper mounts and aligns properly. Just waiting cause gotta order the rotor($80 or 100) and then about $40 for the fork oil and seals. Im not sure if I should PC or paint. PC is expensive especially since the blue I want is 2X the regular price since its a metallic...I may just paint since the rattle can is $10-20 only and yes a damn rattle can for the color I want is $10 for cheap or $20ish for the good color lol...expensive taste

crf80 rods huh...what exactly is that gonna do by changing them?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
trtr013 said:
having my guy weld on some tabs and then fabricate the spacer brackets so the caliper mounts and aligns properly. Just waiting cause gotta order the rotor($80 or 100) and then about $40 for the fork oil and seals. Im not sure if I should PC or paint. PC is expensive especially since the blue I want is 2X the regular price since its a metallic...I may just paint since the rattle can is $10-20 only and yes a damn rattle can for the color I want is $10 for cheap or $20ish for the good color lol...expensive taste

crf80 rods huh...what exactly is that gonna do by changing them?

I gotcha. I made a brake line holder on the mill. Not sure what you meant on the spacer bracket for the caliper alignment. Youre running disc brakes?

For the the drum setup, you need the 70 spacer/axle, use the 50 stock brake hub, and just have to mill or shave a little off the stock 70 holder so the one off the 50 wheel will fit (the tab is too wide on the forks otherwise for it to fit in)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
disc brakes. and the caliper bracket usually has two so one to mount to the fork leg and 1 to offset so its spaced evenly over the rotor...I think i may add a brake line holder too but i dont know....can I run 1-1/8 bars and clamp adapter?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
trtr013 said:
disc brakes. and the caliper bracket usually has two so one to mount to the fork leg and 1 to offset so its spaced evenly over the rotor...I think i may add a brake line holder too but i dont know....can I run 1-1/8 bars and clamp adapter?

gotcha.

may as well do a brake line holder while youve got them apart and before you paint/pc them.

You should be able to run 1 1/8 bars. I personally would just make some fatbar clamps though or buy some, stock 70 clamps are just 1 bolt per clamp holding them on, so it would look really clean!

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would have to buy them or make them since stock is 7/8 I really wanted a BBR top clamp...same time I dont know if I want to do the 1-1/8 stuff yet since I plan on the other fork stuff still....but thinking if I can use them both now and later maybe I can...but IDK we see...

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
traut how hard would it be for you to mill me a bar clamp riser/adapter to 1-1/8 for my crf70 clamp? By hard I mean what would it take money wise...Im gonna ask my fab guy but he does more welding and that kind stuff not mill and machining.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
trtr013 said:
traut how hard would it be for you to mill me a bar clamp riser/adapter to 1-1/8 for my crf70 clamp? By hard I mean what would it take money wise...Im gonna ask my fab guy but he does more welding and that kind stuff not mill and machining.

I dont think it would be too hard. I've made probably 3 or 4 sets of bar risers before.

I only make it home like every 2-3 weeks though, its when I'd get a chance to do it that would be the problem ;)

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
they make adapters for 7/8ths clamps to 1 1/8th bars...you can pick them up at just about any bike store...I have them on my WR250X...raises the bars up slightly too.....normally I would not use something like that but the top clamp for an X is waaaay expensive....and it works well

1 - 11 of 11 Posts