PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Crf50 based gpx125 head and i have the oil cooler kit. ive noticed that oil doesnt even get to the cooler in the tubes like on radiators do these so called cooling units for small 4 stroke motors actually do anything?

Im thinking get rid of the whole oil cooler and get a valve cover with the Breather tube option and also do it with my dipstick?

any opinions are asked for
[/IMG]

· Registered
2,161 Posts
according to mike castro no they dont do nothing...plus on your ur lines are huge and so long...1 question that may seem dumb...did you add the extra oil to accommodate for the lines and cooler itself? why do you want all these breathers for your stock motor? you dont need them...I have the valve tappet breather and i only have it for looks. But my hose is clean and is great. But serves no actual use...

· Registered
5,648 Posts
ok first as someone said the lines are too long , second to large of an inner dia , look at the takegawa one they use real small lines to keep pressure up , you will need to add additional oil for the volume the cooler and lines hold you may be starving it for oil , and as someone said maybe your oil pump can't keep up with the additional volume and distance the oil would have to travel,get smaller and shorter lines first make sure you have enought oil as well.

as to the breather most do nothing but look cool , mine looks cool but i've never had a drop of oil in the tubing , mine has a small k&n style filter on the end to really look cool (really it keeps dirt water etc out of the hose).

ok man good luck let everyone know what you did and what the results were.

· Registered
2,161 Posts
ya...dont forget like I said about what castro said...they dont do squat...when i asked him about me getting one he said dont bother its another spot to leak or crack and even when he built BBR's race bikes they didnt have them cause they didnt do squat

· Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
trtr013 said:
ya...dont forget like I said about what castro said...they dont do squat...when i asked him about me getting one he said dont bother its another spot to leak or crack and even when he built BBR's race bikes they didnt have them cause they didnt do squat

true so im gonna take mine off. should i run a valve breather or just get like a dress up kit

· Registered
6,011 Posts
How do you know that there is no oil flowing thru the cooler ?

I run oil coolers .. :) Honda put em on their XR 400's .., so it must be good for something .., no ? :dunno:

Idk .....

Maybe these oil cooler units on mini's may have a more noticable effect , if they were mounted on road race bikes like they were orginally intented for by other companies ??

As for that 125 GPX motor .. I use ta run a Dr.Atv cooler on my bike and had no problem with oil flow issues ..

· Registered
2,161 Posts
your talking about an xr400 or a race bike not a 125/minibike...as for price and whatnot ya adding a valve tappet breather from ahp or sik50s(cause those two include a lower tappet whereas my takegawa doesnt and its more expensive too). What dress up valve cover? You know the dress up kits are all for looks right...You could run a 125 with all stock style covers and be fine...

· Registered
2,424 Posts
I agree,tappet cover breathers dont do anything,The crankcase should have a decent size vent if youre running a bbk. If oil comes out, youre overfill on oil or have blowby. Having big oil lines on a oil cooler WONT make you loose flow or pressure.

· Registered
4,902 Posts
tblumer said:
I can feel the air pumping in and out on my head breather

its a vent thats all, take off the dip stick and crank the bike over your feel pressure there too, as the piston goes up pressure is built up in the head and as it goes back down pressure builds up in the cases, you have a case breather as stock. the head breathers are only really needed for the bigger cc motors that have high compression

· Registered
3,019 Posts
trtr013 said:
I meant ml wise. trying to help him. I won't run a cooler so i don't know.

I've ran a Takegawa oil cooler on my last 3 engines. I wouldn't say it has a HUGE cooling efficiency, but I wouldn't say it could hurt anything, and if it helps cool at all, anything helps.

Fill the cooler before you put it on. Otherwise, when you start up the engine, its going to be trying to pump oil through the cooler instead of other critical areas, like rockers...

Fill the cooler up, to the lowest line, mount it up, fill up the crankcase like normal, start it up and let the oil circulate, then add if needed.

I'm wanting to say its around 800mL with an oil cooler.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.