PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my TB big bore kit on my 50 yesterday and started it. started first kick. but i was letting it rev for about 10 mins and it got really really hot. hotter than it used to. is this normal for the big bore? i didn't ride it yet. is because i didn't put the oil pump on yet maybe? any help would be great

· Registered
402 Posts
four storkes will get very hot when idling. You are runnign an air cooled motor while it is standing still which means it is not getting any colling from moving air.

Their is no reason to let your bike idle for ten minutes. If you are sitting shut it off.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought the same thing about the bike not moving and getting no air flow. the reason it was idling was for top end break in. i was conserned because i didn't think it would get that hot. it got so hot i couldn't touch the pipe gaurd or anything

· Registered
37 Posts
He was probably just breaking it in. It doesn't matter if you ride it or let it sit for a few minutes, it will still get very very hot. Mine gets up to 290 degrees at the cylinder. 10 minutes is a little long to sit still. I wouldn't go over 4-5 minutes.

· Registered
10,051 Posts
Did you drill the hole in the case before installing your cylinder?

To properly install the oil pump, you need to drill the relief hole, and have to completely remove your cylinder and one of the engine studs to drill it.

I wouldn't run a BBK without running the oil pump, and is a factor why your motor is running hot. If you don't run the oil pump, you run the risk of burning out your exhaust valve.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ALL i am doin is BREAKING IT IN i'm not riding it. that is bullshit if i gotta take the cylinder off AGAIN so will have to get new gastkets and all that. i had enough trouble with thoses gaskets they gave me jezz 4 strokes are a pain!

· Registered
10,051 Posts
TwoFiddySix said:
ALL i am doin is BREAKING IT IN i'm not riding it. that is bullshit if i gotta take the cylinder off AGAIN so will have to get new gastkets and all that. i had enough trouble with thoses gaskets they gave me jezz 4 strokes are a pain!

Don't shoot the messenger. You have to install the uprated oil pump before you put the BBK on. If you want to run it know, order a new gasket set, tear it down, and start over. Might as well install a manual clutch while you are at it...

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
some people on here said you can run it without. i'm not going to mine is coming in tomorrow but damn it takes so long to get parts in where i live. you know any dealer that can have then shipped the next day or somthing? thanks a lot of all the info its really helping. don't know much about 4-strokes lol

· Registered
736 Posts
I have had my Kitaco 88cc kit for over 2 years now, and never run a oilpump, nor valve springs.

Sik50s built a bike with a 88cc kit, xhead, and 20mm carb without a oil pump and absoultely PINNED it in second gear for over half mile between 2 stoplights by our shop. When I mean pinned, I mean pinned, just to see if it would grenade or seize, and nothing.

i think if you run a bigger head, then yes its a good idea, but with just the normal 88, a oil pump is totally unnessicary.

· Registered
10,051 Posts
camMCLEAN said:
I have had my Kitaco 88cc kit for over 2 years now, and never run a oilpump, nor valve springs.

Sik50s built a bike with a 88cc kit, xhead, and 20mm carb without a oil pump and absoultely PINNED it in second gear for over half mile between 2 stoplights by our shop. When I mean pinned, I mean pinned, just to see if it would grenade or seize, and nothing.

i think if you run a bigger head, then yes its a good idea, but with just the normal 88, a oil pump is totally unnessicary.

Note to self. Don't have King Racing do any motor work for me...

· Registered
3,869 Posts
A oil pump on a stock head bike really isnt nessary but as always a good idea, because you cant really have to much oil. But I ran my stock head TB kit without a pump for quite awhile and ran it hard, never had anyproblems, yeah it runs hot but itll be fine. But yeah I would definetly so you need one if you step up to a race head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.