PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
decided to try my hand at one of these cr conversion builds. this is where i am at on it to date.

after talking to terry a number of times about the xr motors and how they are gutless he gave me a great idea. klx cylinder and top end on the xr bottom. i have not had much time to work on it but i did a half a$$ mock up and it looks like it should be relatively easy to convert

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sweet start!

I use to have a frankestein project going on..

Powroll stroker 200x into a alloy perimeter 05 Yz frame...but decided welding aluminium wasn't my thing since I can't tig..and my buddy at his work couldn't get any of the lead welders to find time to tig new brackets up..

and he didn't have the correct wire to mig alloy..or a spool gun:(

Sold the roller yz frame..got the motor still haha..don't know what to do!

need a steel frame:?

I'll be following this..really curious about that motor idea

Goodluck!

·
Banned
1 Posts
Nice work so far, Chad! Some guys hack the lower rear mount to move the C/S closer to the swingarm pivot, but with a well-placed roller or guide, you should be fine. The KLX top end does drop the carb to a lot better location, even if the fins go the "wrong" way:) Z155 jug has the stator side right, at least.

Looking forward to seeing the power you can make with the mutant:D

200 Honda motors have been stuffed in CR80/85 frames, and should be a hoot, if a little heavy in the midsection. Me too...

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is Dougs motor he was doing for his conversion he already had the mount knocked out for me. I agree the klx carb location is alot nicer I think I might be.able.to make the cr air box work

·
Registered
412 Posts
Awesome!! Always great to see another conversion build!

I've been wondering about the horizontal top end swap- since Terry mention it (lifan) in a thread back in 08'(?) Look'n forward to seeing more! So-Hurry up man!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
micro75 said:
Nice work Chad I would think about a head stay to keep the vibration down.

thanks john. i thought about doing a head stay but i dont think i am going to now. my buddy has dougs old conversion frame and i took it for a ride it didnt vibrate and i took some extra steps to make everything even more secure motor wise. like the front motor mount brakes doug used aluminum i used thicker steel plates, underneath the motor there is 4 holes for foot pegs on the older 80s doug welded a plate just from the where the linkage is welded to the frame and did 2 bolt holes i made a plate the fits snug from inside frame rail to inside frame rail and made it where all for bolts are hold it on and welded the entire plate to the frame to box it in, and the rear motor mount braket i used a thicker steel plate the spacer that goes inbetween the swingarm i made thicker and where it actually bolts to the motor doug used a thin half moon with two washers welded on both sides i bent a piece of thick steel in a U and put some holes in it and welded it up. so my thinking is if the one doug did worked out great w/o vibration this should be just as good. but just in case i am going to put it together and try it before i powder coat incase i am wrong cause i have been tossing the idea of a headstay around since i started it.

by the way you wouldn't happen to have any yx studs and both slides for the timing chain would you?

the piece that hold the rear of motor after bending it.

here i started welding all the pieces together and rounded the edges of the top bracket

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gman said:
Awesome!! Always great to see another conversion build!

I've been wondering about the horizontal top end swap- since Terry mention it (lifan) in a thread back in 08'(?) Look'n forward to seeing more! So-Hurry up man!

yea i remember seeing that post i thought he did it. i was looking at my lifan head and cylinder and was like wow thats going to be a a$$ load of work and welding. after a number of talks about these motors cause i have rode the stage one takey head for the xrs was not even close to impressed with the power, i have a stage 3 for this one havent tried it yet. but i am thinking it wont be much faster. although i do admit it is a hell of alot nice head than the stage one i am just use to mid 18 plus hp motors. then he mentioned the klx top end i thought about it and was like that might work cause all the things i would have to change w/ the lifan head i wouldn't have to do to the klx head. so i took a old set of cases knocked a hole big enough to let the klx cylinder sit down in the case and kinda half a$$ looked it over and decided it looks very doable but been to busy with work, school and in my free time doing this frame. but now that frame only has a few tabs left to fab for lil things like oil cooler and brake rezzy i should have all the wrapped up tomorrow so all that is left to do is fab a pipe but i am waiting on a couple bends so i should have some free time to pi$$ with those cases. i actually started welding them up tonight.

·
Registered
628 Posts
storminnorman07 said:
thanks john. i thought about doing a head stay but i dont think i am going to now. my buddy has dougs old conversion frame and i took it for a ride it didnt vibrate and i took some extra steps to make everything even more secure motor wise. like the front motor mount brakes doug used aluminum i used thicker steel plates, underneath the motor there is 4 holes for foot pegs on the older 80s doug welded a plate just from the where the linkage is welded to the frame and did 2 bolt holes i made a plate the fits snug from inside frame rail to inside frame rail and made it where all for bolts are hold it on and welded the entire plate to the frame to box it in, and the rear motor mount braket i used a thicker steel plate the spacer that goes inbetween the swingarm i made thicker and where it actually bolts to the motor doug used a thin half moon with two washers welded on both sides i bent a piece of thick steel in a U and put some holes in it and welded it up. so my thinking is if the one doug did worked out great w/o vibration this should be just as good. but just in case i am going to put it together and try it before i powder coat incase i am wrong cause i have been tossing the idea of a headstay around since i started it.

by the way you wouldn't happen to have any yx studs and both slides for the timing chain would you?

the piece that hold the rear of motor after bending it.

here i started welding all the pieces together and rounded the edges of the top bracket

Chad I should have that stuff get a hold of me, We are going to the Rock ride at Tv land Friday -Sunday

·
Registered
412 Posts
storminnorman07 said:
yea i remember seeing that post i thought he did it. i was looking at my lifan head and cylinder and was like wow thats going to be a a$$ load of work and welding. after a number of talks about these motors cause i have rode the stage one takey head for the xrs was not even close to impressed with the power, i have a stage 3 for this one havent tried it yet. but i am thinking it wont be much faster. although i do admit it is a hell of alot nice head than the stage one i am just use to mid 18 plus hp motors. then he mentioned the klx top end i thought about it and was like that might work cause all the things i would have to change w/ the lifan head i wouldn't have to do to the klx head. so i took a old set of cases knocked a hole big enough to let the klx cylinder sit down in the case and kinda half a$$ looked it over and decided it looks very doable but been to busy with work, school and in my free time doing this frame. but now that frame only has a few tabs left to fab for lil things like oil cooler and brake rezzy i should have all the wrapped up tomorrow so all that is left to do is fab a pipe but i am waiting on a couple bends so i should have some free time to pi$$ with those cases. i actually started welding them up tonight.

I've been playing with the 100's for a lil bit. Finally gave in and pick'd up a Kitaco 145SE kit- (running a custom 115SE piston =15.5 CR) retro fit'd a Lifan ORK- and PWK28 carb. She runs pretty GOOD too! lol

As you know- there isn't much room to go larger (58-59mm full sleeve) with the stock cylinder stud spacing. So- I'm all for the KLX top end swap- has huge potential to go big, real big! I did mock up a TB 132 SCUT cylinder and the Kitaco 11.5mm stroker crank, (XR100) for a 165cc combo- had a few small issues with deck height and cam chain length- that could be over come. However, don't believe there is enough piston in the SCUT cylinder at BDC.

Enlarging the 100's stud spacing looks challenging- for sure... Can't wait to see the fab/mock up pics.

BTW did you pick up Doug's 80's crank too ?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tblumer said:
Are the pistons comparable in weight? Are you going to have to balance a crank?

Piston weight not sure yet cause I am deciding if I should use my big ti valved 4 valve or a plus r either way I am going to say no due to the fact it will be 60 mills plus vs the stock I want to say 49 50 mm range. Balancing the crank not going to do that either a few years ago I stroked my 54mm take crank to 57mm and called around to get balances I was told by a number of crank companies it is not worth it on these small singles just get your run out dead nuts so I did that and with my take dohc 146 vibrated less than it did when it was a 124 straight out the box. So that leads me to believe I should not have a problem

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gman said:
I've been playing with the 100's for a lil bit. Finally gave in and pick'd up a Kitaco 145SE kit- (running a custom 115SE piston =15.5 CR) retro fit'd a Lifan ORK- and PWK28 carb. She runs pretty GOOD too! lol

As you know- there isn't much room to go larger (58-59mm full sleeve) with the stock cylinder stud spacing. So- I'm all for the KLX top end swap- has huge potential to go big, real big! I did mock up a TB 132 SCUT cylinder and the Kitaco 11.5mm stroker crank, (XR100) for a 165cc combo- had a few small issues with deck height and cam chain length- that could be over come. However, don't believe there is enough piston in the SCUT cylinder at BDC.

Enlarging the 100's stud spacing looks challenging- for su

re... Can't wait to see the fab/mock up pics.

BTW did you pick up Doug's 80's crank too ?

I was thinking the same thing with the exit and stroke but decided I would prolly run into problems at bdc then terry said about the klx and I totally scraped that idea. I think with the lightened long rod crank that he did for Dougs motor with a 66-70mm piston would be a awesome upper mid to high rpm motor. Yes I did pick up Dougs motor

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well finished up the frame. all thats left is to do the pipe. heres a couples more pics

relocated the rear pedal so its underneath instead on top

my home made oil cooler

front view of it

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
dougs frame

close up front of the yosi pipe i fabbed for dougs old frame

rear of yosi on dougs frame

for those that like converting the stock frame here is a xr 100 i did for my buddy a lil while back kx100 forks with my own lil twist for rear suspension cause i didn't care for the the linkage setup nor the shocks that are offered for it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
What's easier for a intermediate level fabricator?(myself)

A xr100 frame turned into a 85(85 forks, wheels, swingarm, linkage, shock)

or a 85 frame with a xr100 motor mounted in it(like your doing? similar.)

but on topic: nice progress..and pictures..

i love this build so much..I just got out of riding big bore 4 strokes and I want something to have fun with and I can throw around easy..but 4 stroke ease of riding

and considering how I'm 6ft 1" 200lbs..I could call a cr80 xr100 bike my "big bike" now

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the last pics of the xr 100 is prolly the easiest way to hook your xr/crf 80/100 with decent suspension. all you need to do get yourself a set of 97 or newer kx85 or 100 forks then go to tkracing pick up the steering stem and bearing kit press out the kx steering stem press the one that tk has made and now you have a nice set of front forks. the rear end that i did is a lil more envolved i would consider myself intermediate level due to the fact i never had any training or schooling to do any of this all this is just a hobby or obsession depending on who you ask. if you want to go the easy route tk racing also makes a set of maybe long arms for the linkage or maybe its a different bell i'm not sure which but either way they have the part for the linkage to raise the bike up in the back to match the longer kx forks then call up works and pick up one of there shocks. now if you want to dow what i did its going to require you to do some mill and lathe work to make your shock brackets then you will have to cut off your top factor shock mount so that you can relocate it higher and weld.

UndefinedT said:
What's easier for a intermediate level fabricator?(myself)

A xr100 frame turned into a 85(85 forks, wheels, swingarm, linkage, shock)

or a 85 frame with a xr100 motor mounted in it(like your doing? similar.)

but on topic: nice progress..and pictures..

i love this build so much..I just got out of riding big bore 4 strokes and I want something to have fun with and I can throw around easy..but 4 stroke ease of riding

and considering how I'm 6ft 1" 200lbs..I could call a cr80 xr100 bike my "big bike" now

1 - 20 of 91 Posts