PlanetMinis Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Got the tapered head stem bearing races pressed outta the old frame, and the races pressed into the new (for this bike build) frame. I already had them, they were perfectly good, and they're like... $32, so I figured why buy what I already have? Then we pressed the new Pivot Works roller bearings into the swinger. It was a little tricky, but my bud has some super cool tools just for that job. I gotta say that I'm really impressed so far with the Pivot Works stock swinger roller bearing setup. I was hoping it wasn't gonna be janky, and it seems to fit together really well. Gotta be a huge come up from the stock bushing setup? Came with a swingarm pivot bolt, but no nut? I'm assuming that I'm supposed to use the stock nut? No instructions either.

Here are some pics of where I'm at. (The pic below where I have the swinger mocked up to the frame is the old frame. The new one isn't grimy like that just so you guys know. I wanted to see how tight the swingarm fit to the frame since there were no instructions that came with the bearing set. As you can see it fits perfectly) I always seem to start every reassembly process with either a frame on a stand, or in this case a bare motor. It takes me a bit because I clean and grease every single part. loctite motor mounts, and generally put the time into making sure everything is perfect upon reassembly. --L*64

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I love the pivotworks kit. Huge improvement over stock. That is a nice tool you have there as well. Some of the PW kits come with the knock out tool and some don't. Not sure why that is. And yes use OEM nut.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I love the pivotworks kit. Huge improvement over stock. That is a nice tool you have there as well. Some of the PW kits come with the knock out tool and some don't. Not sure why that is. And yes use OEM nut.
That's what I figured. Instructions would be nice as well. I'm fairly smart, but the bearings don't touch in the center like you'd think they would. so I could see somebody pressing them in too far. --L*64

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
She's about halfway reassembled now. I worked on her all evening. I wanted to post up the parts list to give you guys an idea of what it takes parts and work wise to build what I'd consider a quality stocker. I don't even have a big bore or pipe! The details are as follows. --L*64

Frame
  • 2006 Ebay find with fab work to side panel tabs. Added welds in problem areas. 5/16 hole drilled to accommodate BBR chain roller. Gloss black powdercoat.
  • Stock '03 swingarm with some additional welds in problem areas. Silver powdercoat.
  • Chain guard mounts shaved.
Engine
  • Showroom stock 2003.
  • Thailand OEM 4speed shift drum (complete disassembly for the install).
  • Side covers blasted.
  • Stock headpipe drilled.
  • 20mm KLX140 carb. 40/80 jetting.
  • Phillips bolts replaced with hex heads (sourced from Honda stock).
Suspension
  • Stock forks with TBR damping rods. Stock springs/oil.
  • Elka Stage 2 rear shock. Custom length 10.25 inches eye to eye. Set up for 150lb rider.
Chassis
  • All Balls tapered head stem bearings.
  • Pivot Works roller swingarm bearings.
  • BBR footpeg bracket powder coated in gloss black.
  • IMS footpegs.
  • Long footpeg bracket bolts to avoid damage to cases.
  • TBR skid plate.
  • TBR OTT rear brake pedal.
  • RM85 bend ProTaper aluminum handlebar (could change after testing)
  • Scott Hurricane grips.
  • BBR shifter.
  • BBR black front sprocket cover.
  • BBR rear chain guide.
  • BBR front chain roller.
  • KLX110L front brake cable.
Wheels
  • Buchanan HD spokes.
  • Excel aluminum rims.
  • Bridgestone MX tires.
  • HD IRC tubes.
  • Rear rim lock.
Gearing
- 15/37. (Could change with testing)

Body
  • UFO plastics, new style KX65 rear fender.
  • Red Baron graphics.

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Almost reassembled other than getting graphics ordered. I'm torn between those blue Fast House graphics on white plastic, and the green and black Red Baron graphics I had on my other bike? Or do I just run the old schoolers that I have on there? What would you guys rather have?

Also- I'm making a slight change of direction as far as the expensive skid plate, pegs/peg mount, and the TBR brake pedal. Bear in mind that I want this bike ridden. By me, my GF's, my idiot friends that don't ride, etc. It's alot scarier for me when they take a digger when I have $350 in aftermarket parts, plus another $250 into plastics and graphics on her. I think I'm going to leave those expensive parts boxed for now, and run the stock plastics, pegs/mount, skid plate, and brake pedal. I ran with the stock stuff on her for years and it worked fine with the extended shifter. I'll post up after I take her out and test her. After that? I'll call her done! --L*64

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Well Gang, at least for now- gonna call this a build! I hope you're not disappointed over me running the stock peg mount/pegs, brake pedal, and skid plate? Like I mentioned above, I want this bike to be ridden. I'll eventually get some graphics made up, but I'm kinda digging the old school Suzook livery for the time being. I'll post some pics once I get the new graphics made and mounted for you guys. I'll give y'all a ride report once I get around to lugging her out of my basement shop too. The big difference will be with the Elka shock.

One other suggestion for you builders out there is this. When you run a BBR rear chain guide? It cuts it pretty close to the sidewall of the rear tire. Two things. 1} Once you figure out your gearing, cut your chain so as to run your wheel more towards the front part of the adjustment range rather than the rear. 2} I run Bridgestone tires. They come in two widths for the rear. I went with the slimmer width for one, to help clear the chain guide, and two- I feel like with the auto clutch setup? The rear slides into the turns nicely and predictably under engine braking with the slimmer rear tire.

I can't lie- I worked my ass off on this little bike all summer. Not daily, but between the fab work, pressing bearings in and out, carting the parts to powdercoat and back, and reassembly? It was a job! It was fun though, and I hope you guys enjoy reading about it as much as I did re-building her. Cheers!! --L*64

21 - 27 of 27 Posts