PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some info on what else to do when you install the kit.

I know clutch springs is going to be one of those things.

And i also know h/v pump

What about a breather off of the valve cover. I have seen these. But not to sure on what is exact application is. I know it would be to release some pressure out of the case, but is it needed with the 88? Would you put a filter on the end of it just in case something was fly in there (not likely but you never know)?

Any other upgrades or add ons would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys for all your help.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
A breather is optional, but I can tell you from experience, if you run a breather with the TB uprated oil pump, it will pump the oil right out the breather tube.

I run a catch tank on my TB88, so if you are going to go that route, get a catch tank. Classic sells these, and it will run the oil to the crank case via the oil filler tube.

Run the oil pump, and if you like manual clutches, the TB manual clutch is very nice. If you want to keep the auto, run clutch springs, or the Kitaco heavy duty clutch. I prefer the manual...

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My friend has a Takegawa 88cc super head with the breather and the oil pump and the only time it leaks is when the bike is tipped 12 o clock

·
Registered
667 Posts
I put a TB Kit without head along with clutch springs and Oil Pump. If its in your budget get the breather and get the oil pump no matter what. It Definatly slings alot more oil now and like z88r said, it blows more out my breather now. I"m goin to look on classics site for the spill cans right now.....

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
gomerpile2525 said:
My friend has a Takegawa 88cc super head with the breather and the oil pump and the only time it leaks is when the bike is tipped 12 o clock

This is because the Takegawa oil pump doesn't push as much volume as the TB oil pump.

My kitaco oil pump doesn't pump oil out the breather either.

Bottom line is: More oil volume, the better.

It just goes to show you that inexpensive parts can be better then their expensive counterparts!

·
Registered
105 Posts
z88R said:
[quote name='gomerpile2525']My friend has a Takegawa 88cc super head with the breather and the oil pump and the only time it leaks is when the bike is tipped 12 o clock

This is because the Takegawa oil pump doesn't push as much volume as the TB oil pump.

My kitaco oil pump doesn't pump oil out the breather either.

Bottom line is: More oil volume, the better.

It just goes to show you that inexpensive parts can be better then their expensive counterparts![/quote]

Well do you think that the reason for this may be that Takegawa would like to tune for more power so they have found the sweet spot as to where oil flow is optimal as more energy is needed to pump more oil. Also, if you are getting that much oil into your head don't you think that that is a little too much? As in, the head should be able to drain as much as it gets, if its pumping into other orifice's then perhaps the TB oil pump puts out too much volume? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
id assume the more oil squirting and spraying all the parts would be a good thing. sweet spot? on a 5+hp motor i dont think it makes much drag.

but who knows.

id think the faster pump would be used for/with an oil cooler, slower..

but does it really MATTER?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Wats the link to classics?

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
www.sik50s.com probably has the Kitaco Oil Catch Tanks. You'll most likely have to fabricate a mount for it, because it was designed for a different Honda application.

Yellowtoes - I doubt Takegawa thought that far ahead when designing an oil pump. If you want to make max power with a Honda 50cc motor, takegawa aren't the most optimal parts anyway.

If you want a DOHC motor, the Daytona setup is far superior, and if you want to stick with a SOHC setup, Kitaco appears to be the current leader.

Where does that leave Takegawa? In the middle with everyone else, making parts in Taiwan badging them as Japanese products, just as all the other Japanese companies do...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.