PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in The process of replacing my rusted out chain and rear sprocket I noticed that the counter sprocket, on the side of the motor that the chain drives from, has play in it. I can wobble it a fair bit. Is this normal for there to be play in these?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much Kirby. Though I found another issue in this onion! lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, be careful what you ask for. I am sure I will have a lot more coming!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Yeah, I bought an early XR50 motor for my 84 around 2002. It uses a splined drive for the counter sprocket that is MUCH more “secure” but when I converted to a 4spd, it was back to the standard type. It is what it is I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2 Posts
Of course old school methodology says you should always change both sprockets when putting on a new chain.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AK
i wasnt aware of that. Thanks. I think I may do that. It’s not a lot for a new front sprocket, special washer and bolts.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AK I went ahead and ordered a new sprocket, lock plate and bolts. Will be interesting to see if some of the wiggle comes out of it. I also noticed that the rear hub had the studs replaced and they were not centered causing a up and down wobble in the system. So a new rear hub had to be order. The things I keep finding on this poor little bike.

My other bike is much easier due to being more modern and I have owned it since day one.
P1104367_zpsfce48446 by Victor M, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
These little bikes seem to get ridden hard and put away wet. I’m dealing with the same thing. Crazy how beat they can be... and still get ridden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 11 of 11 Posts