PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where to get one...like a yellow one that comes with the tokyo mods ignition or a neon blue one...will a car coil wire work? thanks

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Automotive coils can work as long as they are a solid core wire hence metal. Most Auto coils are carbon based to reduce radio noise but offer too much resistance when it comes to Motorcycle based ignitions.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Yes, metal. I should've explained better.

Metal wired coil wires produce a frequency in stereo's in cars. Sounds like a turbo as the engine rpm's rise.

So Automotive stuff is made with carbon based wire to eliminate this frequency.

Problem with carbon based wires for Bike's is that most ignitions systems aren't power full enough to push the required voltage to the plug. Hence a weak spark, loss of power and fouled plugs.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
gotcha. would it still be too weak even through a short distance of wire like 6 inches?

on the subject of bad spark.... my IRK is producing a weak spark. it may be my coil is going bad or the IRK CDI is going bad.

to keep this on topic with the OP- I've seen NGK or "ngk type" plug wires for pitbikes on sale on ebay alot.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Twister773 said:
Does anyone know where to get one...like a yellow one that comes with the tokyo mods ignition or a neon blue one...will a car coil wire work? thanks

Redbarons got these NGK ones the yellow ones you see on the DOHCs. cant seem to find it on there site but i know they got a bunch

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
6 inches won't cause to much resistance. Measure with an Ohm Meter and find out.

Make sure your spark plug cap doesn't have more than 10 Ohm's either. If it does, get a new one.

IRK's do not have a very strong magnet nor are the windings very good, they have to be revved up to produce the required spark. That's why engines with an IRK can be a PIA to start.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I know from hanging at my buddy's bike shop that alot of guys who ghetto repair their bikes/atvs with the car wires...silicone, I think. They will not produce enough spark and are a general no no for bikes. Bike will not run near as good. Stay away from the car wires....yellow accel included..... unless you want your bike to run sh*tty.

Good luck in search! Just remember.... no silicone wires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts