PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week was one of challenges, highs and lows for sure. Kevin brought home all A+ grades and was allowed to participate at the season opener. I worked on the bikes fooling a bit more with Zach and Kevins bikes, new low Vortex bars and Galindo F-1 grips. they are now in stock in WPS again which is a relief, these are the best grips for roadracing due to their wear, grip and thinness. I fit Moose barkbusters for some lever protection and onto the trailer they went. We loaded up for a 4:30 departure and got on the road. The team "LocoMotion" is the #2 overall endurance team in the CMRA big bike series which is quite an accomplishment. I am there to help tend the bikes and the pit. It was a rough weekend for the team with the A bike dropping a valve (I think) in the first hour, after a bit of a scramble the B bike got going and they completed the 4 hour race without incident (or quick change wheels or big quick fill tank). Ryan Johnson took his by week to ride and rode with Jeff Hughes on Jeffs new cbr 500. It apparently need a bit of work in the suspension dept. Ryan took a 1st in E Super Stock and 2nd in SuperBike. Not bad for a stock engined lightly prepped 250 that was being assembled that morning. Back to Kevin and Zach. Their 65s are really different in characteristics and will require further investigation. Kevins has been modified to lower compression and counter to that it runs like a scalded dog at all rpms, just what I had hoped for. We shall see how long I can keep it going. He used it to run a 1:23.65 which is a fast time on a mini (last year in warmer September Kevin was 1.5 seconds slower and his current time puts him a tick under Ryan Andrew 2014 Grom time!) It was no joy due to a draconian punishment of a rule infraction (in the AMA the same infraction would be 5 secs per incident and not disqualification). I get the safety aspect of requiring riders on one side of a rubber barrier (the safety aspect of bolting a piece of rubber into the track is another discussion in itself) and the need for addressing it but there are a few problems with his reasons, the big discussion he had about the rubber piece must have been in the Friday riders meeting which Kevin did not attend, he was not riding Friday and was not required to make the meeting. On Saturday it was mentioned in passing saying that there would be consequences. Not what they were etc. Also Kevin is 10 years old and was not seeking an advantage, he also said he didn't understand the instruction and though he was talking about the nest turn. Bummer but Kevin says he will be back to take the rest of the first place trophies. Zach figured out how to rev his 65 up and ran a string of 1:27 laps which is fine considering his lack of time on the new bike. He will get it and we thank the riders for being out there to have a race with. I am not sure what the next event is, there is a WERA race at Little Talladega next week where we are paying a contingency on Sava tires. It is a certificate program with class championship bonuses for the top three. We are running this program in a number of leagues this year. I will post a list soon.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts