PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys. so i just got a 50 and i know some of the basics but not all that id like to know, so I'm here to ask for help. my bike came with all sorts of goodies already on it but i want to make a few changes to it, one of which being the clutch. its got a kamikaze 88 kit on it and it seem to run real smooth on the street but that first gear goes quick and i wish it had a 4th. I'm pretty sure it has the stock clutch in it still. id like to do a 4 speed with the manual clutch but I've read on a few posts on here that those aren't good for the dirt, which is where ill be doing my riding. i saw that some people were recommending the takegawa 3 speed. changes the gears good and good for the dirt. my problem i have is there seems be different types of clutches? and i don't know how to tell what i have. i put a picture up to help. so basically what I'm asking is what kind do i have so i know and what would you guys recommend?.

also one other thing; i was looking to get the piranha ignition coil and bbr rev box. curious if anyone used the piranha before or if its worth buying? and as for the rev box it looks like the guy that owned this before took the whole harness off so all i have wire wise on the bike is what runs from the clutch and the ignition. he gave me all the old parts which include the old harness. the old rev box looks to be on the old harness still, is this something that should be on the bike? if not i guess i don't need to worry about the rev box. surprised me when i saw it did have the harness on it and i didn't know if that was okay or not. thanks for all the help guys.

-derin

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
That's an inner rotor ignition, not the clutch.
Post up pics of the whole bike. I see Five-0 on the frame and shifter. I think you have a real nice bike here.
Clutch and tranny options are Kitaco and Takegawa for high end (mini mob racing) or china made AHP from T-bolt and Wholesale cycle. I've had great service from all.
A tak or kitaco 3 speed does nothing for top end, just makes first gear higher so it's more usable. 4 and 5 speeds would add top end. The more gears the thinner the gear set so they can't take the pounding the dirt can give them, but it depends on how you ride.
You can also just gear it up from the front sprocket, go to a 14 or 15.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i highly recommend you learn more about your bike before doing any changes. Research everything because it can become costly if done wrong or changing parts for the wrong reasons. Can u post some pics of your ride

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah most of it is five0. The frame, sub frame, swing arm, and big bar kit is all five0. Its a pretty clean bike besides the plastics and graphics. The guy I got it from.only rode it at his house. As far as the type of riding I do I wouldn't ride it hard like I'm racing jut go out and have fun in the desert. I really want to do a 4 speed manual clutch and see in how I don't ride a whole lot as is I don't think I'll have to worry about blowing out a gear too fast. But maybe till that point I'll do what you said with the sprocket, I didn't even think about that. As far as the pictures go these are all I have for now. After I get new plastics and graphics and clean her up a bit I'll put up more
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle
I Vehicle Automotive exterior Motocross Motorcycle fairing Motorcycle accessories
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i highly recommend you learn more about your bike before doing any changes. Research everything because it can become costly if done wrong or changing parts for the wrong reasons. Can u post some pics of your ride
Yeah that's what I'm trying to do. I havent really messed with a 50 all that much so most of this is new to.me and I'm trying to learn. I've gone on here a lot and everyone is really helpful so I joined so I can ask my own questions. But yeah I know it can get costly thats what I'm trying to avoid haha

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can get a YX140 crate motor that will drop right in for a like $400 shipped. 4 speed, clutch, get the 26mm mikuni carb. I did that and love it.
T-bolt has them.
i checked that out, thats a killer deal. and it has pretty much everything i want. way cheaper than trying to do it with the motor i have now. thanks for the heads up on that. but just so i can get an understanding whats the difference between the special clutch and a regular clutch? I've seen this in a few kits and i don't know how to tell the difference. I'm trying to get an understanding of all points of the bike. no time like the present to learn, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 152798 View attachment 152801
here's mine with the YX. Special clutch looks like a big bike clutch. Not sure what you mean by regular clutch.
That's a nice bike right there! I would just see kit that's would say special clutch and others that wouldnt. But I get it now. Special clutch would be 1 down 3 up and the other is just 3 or 4 up? Thanks man

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
That's a nice bike right there! I would just see kit that's would say special clutch and others that wouldnt. But I get it now. Special clutch would be 1 down 3 up and the other is just 3 or 4 up? Thanks man
The shift pattern is determined by the shift drum, but thats another lesson. When people in the 50 world say "special clutch" they're usually referring to the Takegawa special clutch. This clutch kit changes the location of the heavy clutch assembly being bolted to the end of the crankshaft (stock crf50 style) to bolted on the mainshaft of the tranmission (big bike) style. A main shaft mounted clutch is more reliable for high power builds and IMO just makes the engine feel way snappier but as you can see, costs big bucks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.