PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking into what a spec package for racing\competition gokarts might look like and would love to see what peoples thoughts on parts that would provide an ideal base
Something like this, but with a focus on parity and reliability using stuff available now vs what was on the market in 2013 which was this... 150 bored and stroked to 204.

Here's the goals:

Aimed at racers that are not into tinkering, they just want to ride.
CR80-level performance
Parity and reliability are more important than outright power.
50Hours between top ends (Humor me here)
Torque\wide powerband vs top end RPM
Rev limiter

My thoughts on what the build might look like from reading way too much on these so far:

212cc 2 valve Zongshen. More displacement than we need gives us room to hold the engines back with the carb size and maybe extend service intervals.
Not fond of the four valve Daytona, more shit to break and replace and a premium to pay for it. I have to think of the target market here.
Complete kickstart delete, we've no need for it, again more stuff that seems to break. Gears, shaft etc go in the trash. Plug the hole.
Selector pawl (or washer) upgrade.
I'm going to test the 5 speed and monitor wear on it. With the CR80 we needed a stronger 3rd gear.
Is the 4 speed something that can be dropped into the Zongshen 190 case if needed?

One thing we learned from the CR80 and CR125 in karting is that shit breaks a lot more vs motox so I'd like to cover my bases with the first engines we start to test.

I'm curious on what kind of upgrades the package might need to meet it's goals for reliability
Most of all, performance needs to be repeatable and reliable, I think the 212 has enough umph to match the CR80?

OORacing seem to have a good solid list of things to start with to upgrade or replace////

·
Registered
670 Posts
My gut wants to say a well modded/specced CR80 kart engine is going to blow away a 2vZS212 that's stock config other than bore kit. Depends on what the spec of the CR80 is.

Is the goal to run with cr80 karts or have a separate class similar speed?

Price limit?

Reactions: MiniMotoMe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah a CR80 modded set to kill mode is probably going to smoke the 212. So let's say stock CR80 with anything above it being a bonus.
The clone package will run by itself, ballpark speed. Trying to build something that's a gateway class for folks that are looking to move from 8HP OHV stuff, to a shifter\tag but don't want to deal with two strokes and don't want to throw money at a chassis with front brakes either.... Which seems like almost everyone these days.... but I digress.

Let's say up to $500 on top of the stock engine to make a "better spec". Better can be a bit more performance too, say a cam that gives a broad power curve and keeps RPM low. If there's a way I can get the base engines without all the crap I don't need (All the kick starter gear internals for example) that would be good too.

I'm not opposed to giving the base engine more HP and keeping it in check with the EFI controller and throttle body. Main thing is that it's just fast "enough" but can go for long service intervals and make consistent power across the engine packages.
I'm hoping to bring a custom "spec" EFI ECU to the market with this as well... Along with a tunable version that would work with the Grom and clones, possibly with the stock generator.

While think of it, any concerns with longevity or heat with these big bore 212s. I think they are 66mm?

·
Registered
670 Posts
If low entry cost is the top goal I would go with stock ZS190 bore and stroke. Increase the compression. Add adjustable cam timing. Fix the shifting issues. Strip parts not wanted. Run a big oil cooler(if your testing shows it actually runs the oil cooler). Done. I'd run keihin PE28 but you are going EFI 💯 it sounds like.

People can tinker with fueling adjustments, ignition timing, cam timing, and compression ratio.

Somewhere in the 16-20hp range probably on that setup I'm guessing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts