PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for this, but couldn't find my answer. If I am looking at the right product on CHP's site...

How does this shaft fix the problem from kick starting high compression motors? Since it's a billet output shaft, I can't see what this had to do with being able to kickstart your bike all day long. I guess I am either looking at the wrong item, or don't understand what part actually breaks. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
If Im not mistaken the stock shaft is hollow and made of weaker materaial. This is billet one peice and much stronger, therfor you cant break it inhalf like the stock one.

·
Registered
941 Posts
There is an oiling hole on the small end. It works fine on a 5HP engine, but when you add compression and displacement.... it breaks at the hole. The CHP shaft does not have the hole, so it will not break there.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, that all makes sense, but what I was asking is, how can the factory version of this shaft break, as a result of kick starting the bike? This shaft doesn't even spin when you kick start the bike, but it spins when you pull out. I just don't understand how this shaft, which the countershaft sprocket goes on, is related to the problem of kick starting a high comp motor.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Because there is a gear on the shaft that is used when you kick start the bike. It puts stress on the shaft, when kicked...

·
Registered
768 Posts
Eddy installed one of these in my 180 +R and it's been super reliable and no problems - get one if you have a high compression bike - saves you $$$$ and frustration in the long run...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.