PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cheap chinese inner rotor from Amazon and was unable to get spark from it. I sent it back and got a replacement...same issue...well, sort of. I have it wired on a test stand so there's no aux wiring. Anyway, it produces electricity...enough when i kick it over, i can feel it in the plug. However, it does not seem to produce enough to actually arc the plug.

I had an inner rotor on something in the past and remember it producing a pretty decent arc. Anyone else have issues with these latest versions of these? I will say that they seem to be very poorly manufactured...the oring groove is not deep enough, and the pickup needed to be ovaled out to get it within the right distance to the rotor.

Does anyone have a link to a known good version of it? This is the amazon version...terrible. Amazon.com: Racing Stator Magneto Inner Rotor Kit for Honda XR50 CRF50 XR70 Z50 110cc 125cc 140cc Dirt Pit Bike Mini ATV Taotao Baja Coolster SDG SSR : Automotive

·
Super Moderator
4,317 Posts
Those kits seem to be the exact same one everyone carries, and the quality is piss poor. I have had personal grief trying to get two or three units to work properly. The original it was based on is a Kitaco unit, but they are tough to find. There are always the Takegawa inner rotors, but once again, a bit pricey.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Does it have to be an inner rotor? I used a chinese outer rotor recently, and it ran great. Starts easy, and doesn't stall in turns like the IRK does; yet still revs to the moon similar to the IRK. Plus you get light wiring outputs. Not sure what application you are using it for, but that is a good option IMO.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does it have to be an inner rotor? I used a chinese outer rotor recently, and it ran great. Starts easy, and doesn't stall in turns like the IRK does; yet still revs to the moon similar to the IRK. Plus you get light wiring outputs. Not sure what application you are using it for, but that is a good option IMO.
i have a variety of outer rotors...this engine is actually setup for street/track and I want 0 flywheel effect. So much so that I've been experimenting with with a battery fired points system with no rotor at all. Figured the inner rotor might deliver what I need, but they seem like such garbage. I had a kitaco one about 10 years ago and it was great.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what coil are you using? does that coil work on other bikes? have you tried flipping the stator as per t-bolt usa tech database.
I've used two different coils and did the flip. Both coils run other engines on my stand. Absolutely not a grounding issue as I have things grounded to the test stand and directly to the engine. I have had the engine running with the inner rotor and it seems that once you get it started it runs pretty well, but dies when the RPMs get lower than say 2500...i feel it's simply not producing enough or strong enough spark.

It runs perfect using an outer rotor setup. I may just forget about it for a while and use the outer rotor.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried a mini outter rotor ignition like what some of the big displacement china motors use.

Heres one on Ebay:

Yes, I have this exact one and it provides way too much flywheel effect for what I'm going for. It runs the motor perfectly fine, but not what I'm looking for. Honestly, I think that if I want to completely elminate flywheel effect i'll either need to buy the $$$ Japanese aftermarket or build my own electronic trigger and total loss system.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You do know that these motors are notorious for running poorly on inner rotors as at lower rpm speeds just the weight of the crank isnt enough hence the high idle needed to run(not enough inertia) You could experiment with timing in the low rpm range(2500rpm-1000rpm) with only 10 degree advance to help make more grunt in low rpm. Not trying to say the inner rotor isnt good but everytime i did a hillclimb with one on a buddies bike the motor would gradually drop in rpm and eventually stall. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You do know that these motors are notorious for running poorly on inner rotors as at lower rpm speeds just the weight of the crank isnt enough hence the high idle needed to run(not enough inertia) You could experiment with timing in the low rpm range(2500rpm-1000rpm) with only 10 degree advance to help make more grunt in low rpm. Not trying to say the inner rotor isnt good but everytime i did a hillclimb with one on a buddies bike the motor would gradually drop in rpm and eventually stall. Just my 2 cents
I think a lot of it has to do with the motor's application. All my honda Nice engines in various configurations share something in common...full weight oil slings and full weight flywheels. I 100% prefer, for normal riding, the large flywheel effects. However, the purpose of this motor is very simple...it will be ridden very hard, on a relatively flat surface, and I'll need to keep the RPMs somewhere between 6-10k at all times.

It's all experimental on this motor anyway, and I might find that the zero flywheel effect makes it impossible to ride. Who knows.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I wsh you luck on this, if it is for flat riding then i can see this working with the rpm in the range specified by you. I have seen track riders with inner rotor kit so i know it is possible like in England they have pit bike racing on road courses. Might be able to find more info on the pitbike uk based website forum to help make it work

·
Registered
31 Posts
Took me 4 trys to get one that worked.... never again. worst part was I had modified it to fit an xr100 so I could not send the 1st one back until I bought a second one... then made a jig for the drill press to test second one worked for 2min in the drill then died....

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've given up with these inner rotors. The third one I got was as bad as the other two. I've returned them all. This one the groove for the oring wasn't deep enough so the ring kept squishing out. And the pickup couldn't be positioned close enough to the flywheel to pickup the signal. Absolute garbage. I pulled out the mini outer rotor and put it back on. It works perfectly so that's where this is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you wanted to road race and want less flywheel weight there are mini outer rotor kits, i believe there on thumpstar bikes. It is another option if you look around. Since i trail ride the heavy rotor which is really heavy(bike is from 2013 so old). But there are several different lighter weight stator and rotor. Look up ooracing on youtube and there is a video from them talking about different rotor weights and sizes that could help you find a better road racing setup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts