PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in details of a speedometer/odometer for your 50? Top speed isn't a big deal to me, but it can keep track of your average speed which is sort of cool while riding on the track. It can also be completely removed in less than a minute.

This is the speedometer $15 from nashbar.

http://tinyurl.com/zj7k

The only other thing you need is a couple of small rare earth magnets, which are around $1 each.

I have some pictures of it on my bike. if anyone is interested i can post them.

· Registered
709 Posts
I am intrested how hard was it to setup ? is it accurate ? thats a real cool idea i would like some more details on how to get it together and what i need thanks

· Registered
709 Posts
five0addict said:
thats weak its just a bike speedo!! that would break with any dirt jumping

if we crashed as much as you do probably :p, im just playin, for 15 bux ill take my chances, i think its a cool idea to know your average speed while practicing. and i don't think theres too much of a difference btwn a mini falling and a mountain bike. i think in the right spot it might last longer

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, it is just a bike computer. you program the wheel size into it, and it will count the number or rotations and calculate the speed.

the original reason why i got one is that i wanted something on my vintage roadrace bike to keep track of time on the top end (the computer keeps track of time spent rolling) and this was the cheapest thing i could find. The way it records top speed and average speed was a cool thing to have when comparing lap times in practice and the actual race.

i have crashed numerous time with it on the my 50, and as as long as you mount the computer next to the triple clamp it holds up rather well. i'm sure it will break at some point, but for $15 who cares. is it stupid and unnecesary? it sure it is, but it is somewhat entertaining for checking lap speeds.

the setup was easy on the BBR forks i have, but would be a bit trickier with the stock setup. the key is getting the small rare earth magnets instead of the magnet you get with the kit. that way the magnet doesn't have to be very close for the the magnetic signal to be picked up and registered by the computer.

setup pictures can be seen here:

http://www.planetminis.com/modules....ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

the only thing that you can't easily remove is the magnet, which is attached with epoxy to the drum. the rest comes off within a minute's worth of work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.