PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my first day out at the kart track I decided that I needed to raise the bike up a bit after dragging my pegs in every corner. My bike is on the budget and I do not want to buy a new shock, forks, etc (but I have upgraded to heavy springs front and rear). My buddy made a nice 1" shock extender that fits the stock swing arm and shock. It raised the bike significantly, but now I am concerned about how much slack I should be running in the chain. When the bike compresses there will become less slack as the swing arm passes through horizontal. How much slack should I run. Previously I was running 1 to 1.5".

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any ideas? I'm teaching my girl friend how to ride on the 110 and would like to get her out this evening as the weather is going to be great. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
well, the best way to determine what you need is to take the shock out and raise your swingarm up to put axle level with the plane of the bike, this should be your tightest spot, so as long as its not overly tight there you are good. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
If its too tight i just tighten it up more and jump up and down on it in hope of stretching the chain...

1. Remove shock

2. Lower back of bike

3. Check chain tension

4. In all positions (chain is tighter some places then others, when rolling bike)

5. Replace shock

6. Go show that biznatch how to ride.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good. I didn't know if any one had nuggets of wisdom that didn't involve me taking the shock off again, but that sounds like my project for the evening. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
611 Posts
2wheeltyson said:
depending on how much you weigh, i always check mine while sitting on it. it helps to have 2 people.

so longs as you get the swingarm parallel - it doesnt matter how you do it

-- have somebody sit on the bike while you check it -- 8)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
wlgkjwklgjw

push on the bottom part of the chain with your finger, if your finger hits that tab that your chain guard thingy bolts to, you're good. i've been roadracing these things for 3 years now... and it took awhile to find a find a good safe way to tell.... thats it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.