PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets pretend that I just bought this 1971 CB100.......:rolleyes:

How similar is it to an Ape100? Or a JDM XR100?

Can I build this engine with the same parts? In other words, if I start shopping for engine mods, should I be looking in the XR100 section?

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
sweet bike......I think the head is slightly different....cam journals and the like...FPM would know for sure

·
Banned
1 Posts
Gorgeous example of one of my favorite little uprights:D

But, on to your question;

Apples & Aardvarks. Same displacement, different engine series. Roots of the "modern" 150/230, with stops at the nearly-identical 125, later 185, 200 ranges. CB/CL/SL/XL/TL, maybe even a few ATC/TRX versions to "Google-up" searches for parts. Several changes along the way. Lots of potential, as vintage racers are still wringing plenty of power out of them. Intake valve in the puny 100 head is as big as a Tak XR100 Stage 1-2;) Akunar has some pistons and sleeves, if you want to stray from the pre-fab "kits". CB750 pistons work with a 125 crank swap, and net 150cc. Tak had a 175cc BBK for the NX125, and I'd imagine the BBR 175 kit for a 150F would fit as well.

There are a couple of 100cc references here:

On the Problem of the Honda XR200

Powroll still does their nice though pricey work on the 100/125 early engines.

POWROLL PRODUCTS FOR THE HONDA VINTAGE 100 & 125

Now, Shifty One, it's YOUR turn, to explain the plastic V8 (Olds?) and 30's grille shell inserts. And,,, are we REALLY just pretending that you bought the CB???

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
Now, Shifty One, it's YOUR turn, to explain the plastic V8 (Olds?) and 30's grille shell inserts. And,,, are we REALLY just pretending that you bought the CB???

I was gonna ask the same.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doopsx3 said:

I was gonna ask the same.

Interesting guy is selling it. We are in negotiations and closing is eminent ;)

He decided his garage at home was too small so he rented a shop to display his toys and work on his projects. It is every man's dream really. He considers himself an American Picker for cars from the '30s to '70s which explains the grills leaning on the wall. The "plastic" looking V8 is a bar-b-cue. He got the CB as apart of a deal.

The bike is cherry except for dent in tank. I think (hope) the dent can be pressed out. It is barely broken in with 1400 miles.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I really like those boat anchors....I would buy that in a milli-heartbeat....I am jealous!

I am also a fan of the Candy Gold. I would keep it original...but that is just my taste when it comes to something that clean and low miles....maybe snatch up a donor engine to got big-bore with and keep your original, all original....

Make sure the cam chain adjuster mechanism is in good shape when you go through it.

Lots of the 125cc base engines are running in AHRMA and are pretty fast with 150+cc, cam, carb and pipe.....

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
That is a bee-yootiful CB100. I am envious. I love the look of the early forks like that, with the painted upper shroud things on them. And the skinny rib tire in the front. Excellent.

When I was in 9th or 10th grade, back around the latter Civil War years, my dad's neighbor had a CL100, which looked sort of like that but with a mid-level exhaust. Might not have had a front downtube, either...can't remember. But it was a similar color and was in really good shape. Somewhere there's a photo of me as a young teen, with a mullet-ish hairdo, big-ass pair of white hightops with the tongues all sticking out weird and my jeans cuffs crammed in there, no helmet, jumping the thing off a sand pile. The way the photo was taken you can't tell I'm only a couple feet up. It was not a fast bike in stock form, especially at Golden, Colorado's mile-high elevation, but it was neat and would be a blast to commute on.

As a side note, I saw a group of young persons riding around early one evening in St. Louis recently, and among the group was one later CB100; still a neat bike but with a red-and-white color scheme that was not as attractive as the one in your photo. Cool to see it cruising along with modern Vespa and Aprilia scooters, though.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
AHRMA361 said:
This site is a great resource for make/model/year on Hondas....I want one of each!

Honda Gallery

Yeah, I use that guy's site to I.D. year models by VIN.

mexicanyella said:
That is a bee-yootiful CB100. I am envious. I love the look of the early forks like that, with the painted upper shroud things on them. And the skinny rib tire in the front. Excellent.

The CL was the "scrambler" and had the mid-pipe and rubber boots for the lower fork shrouds. I am currently going through and cleaning up my CL70 scrambler of the same year as that CB100. The CB is Candy Gold. The CL70 is Candy Topaz Orange. Both from 1971. I love nostalgia and will be growing out my mullet this winter.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I have the "Gallery" bookmarked, too:)

The big bike accessory/Army surplus/camping/paintball/kayak/archery store I worked at in 86-89 ( Rocky's Great Outdoors) still has a 72 in White/Aquarius Blue sitting there, taunting me every time I stop in. He's got about a hundred bikes, mostly old and cool stuff, half of them scattered around the store. Jawa speedway bike, CB-X's, Sprints, Ossa, Penton, etc. Even the near-new SR500 I sold him in 86. I'll have to snap a few pics next time I go.

I'm un-Scramble-ing my CL, but can't decide between a low or high pipe. I bought a Dunstall muffler for it, in preparation of a bigger mill (go figure;)).

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"I'm un-Scramble-ing my CL, but can't decide between a low or high pipe. I bought a Dunstall muffler for it, in preparation of a bigger mill (go figure
).

"

Go low with the Dunstall!

-

Ok, so my shifty fickle self has discovered this CB125S.

This is the kind of thing I am looking for; something I can customize that wont destroy the soul of a classic machine. The soul of this one has clearly been destroyed already.

I like that it is an '81 so it has a CDI. I think some time in the Toddegawa shifty-shop could be benificial for this one.....

·
Banned
1 Posts
Now THAT'S some thing to mess with:) Lots of,,,, um,,, potential.

The 100 is too pretty to futz all up. Maybe a BBK and cam, rejet, but otherwise a looker.

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, the MB5 was a mistake. You know, like that 3rd kid that wasnt supposed to happen. You still love it though....

I had to trade some cash and the XR75 I got last month for the CB100. Even though I actually got rid of a bike, somehow that still didnt make the wife happy....

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
firepower354 said:
Apples & Aardvarks. Same displacement, different engine series. Roots of the "modern" 150/230, with stops at the nearly-identical 125, later 185, 200 ranges. CB/CL/SL/XL/TL, maybe even a few ATC/TRX versions to "Google-up" searches for parts. Several changes along the way. Lots of potential, as vintage racers are still wringing plenty of power out of them. Intake valve in the puny 100 head is as big as a Tak XR100 Stage 1-2;) Akunar has some pistons and sleeves, if you want to stray from the pre-fab "kits". CB750 pistons work with a 125 crank swap, and net 150cc.

Re-reading that post, it occurs to me that in the infrequent times in which FireKaPower is not playin', he is writin' in a style very much like auto magazine writers used on photo captions in the early 1970s. It's uncanny; reading that blurb above is just like what you'd see accompanying a vintage engine build photoessay or something.

ShapeShifter, you got the CB100 and the the damn MB5, too? I think Ima talk to doops and FKP and see about forming a posse to hunt you down and rustle some of your stock. You'd probably be better off without it anyway. Smoother domestic situation, and all that, plus you could concentrate on making that camping trailer safer too.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Wella, Yella, that's where I learned to read. I have a collection of hot rod & street rod mags starting at the late 50's. I burned most of the mid-70's van/economy/Charlies Angels Mustang era ones though. The Flint public education system certainly didn't teach me much.

Maybe while me, you and Ricky are at Todd's, we can clean up his garage enough that his wife's car fits in there? I know mine has made several suggestions about the same thing. OK, blatant threats. If the Beech tree I refuse to cut down drops another branch on her parked-outside Jetta, she may call 2 men, a truck, and an attorney... As-is, I make her breakfast every day, so I can slip Zoloft in it.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts