PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 Honda Z50R

My carb was all gunked up so I took it apart today to clean it up. When I took the bowl of where the float is there was a small piece that came out (I didn't see where it fell out from). It looks like a screw but doesn't have threads. Does anyone know where that piece goes or what I'm talking about? I think I missing something b/c when I put the carb back together it's not getting gas to the engine very well.

Does anyone have a diagram or know of one to help me get this thing back together correctly?

I feel like an idiot but I didn't see where this thing came from ..

Thanks

BTW.. I can take pics tomorrow if I'm not being very clear

·
Registered
695 Posts
G'Day,

reckon your talking about the FLOAT-VALVE (#2 in pic).

the float valve control the gas flow into the bowl (up/down movement), float valve is a very small brass looking pointy thing and hold into position by the floats.

quite sure your not the first one to loose the Float-Valve while cleaning a carb.....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.. I appreciate the help. I've gotten the carb back together and now I have another problem.

When I go to crank the bike it starts but will not stay running. It's like it's using the gas that is in the bowl of the carburetor but no more is getting in there. I've recently purchased a repair manual about Z50's but it is not very clear on some issues.

When my bike cranks it runs at a very high rpm for about 5 seconds or so and then quits. Any use of the throttle will kill it, adjustment of the air screw on the carb will kill it.

What have I done wrong? Could the float be bad? Would I be better off just buying a new carb and throttle cable?

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
worse comes to worse...bbr sells xr50 takeoff carbs for 20 bucks. Not too shabby. I know this question gets annoying, but is all of the rest of the stuff tuned right? Timing, new plug, is there crap in the tank? In the fuel like? I just went through all the same stuff basically. I have the air screw at 1-1/2 turns out (stock) The idle screw should be sticking out from the alumium of the carb by roughly 1/8th inch and adjust from there...i really dont know how many turns out it is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The timing is right. It's always ran good, it sat for a while and I took the carb apart just to clean it. Tank is brand new and fuel is new. I did an oil change on it.

The throttle stop screw and the idle screw are the same thing correct?

I believe I still don't have these setup correctly but I also think I'm having issues with my throttle. When I give it gas the spring is not pull the throttle back as good as it should

Also.. what if I bought one of these?

I don't have a big bore kit or anything of the such. is that just too much carb. Doesn't seem like a bad deal b/c air filter and throttle cable are included.

edit: BTW.. no problemo asking the question. I'm new at tuning these things and am just probably not doing it correct. I'm just frustrated b/c I want to ride the dang thing.. :lol:

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
It sounds like you might have the throttle slide in backwards and it cant return itself. Make sure sure the curved cutaway on the slide is facing the air filter and the groove in the slide locates with the pin in the carb body.

·
Administrator
10,758 Posts
Also make sure that the throttle tube doesn't have any dirt or grit in it, binding up on the handlebars. That would prevent the throttle spring from closing the slide all the way. It wouldn't hurt to lube the cable, while you have the throttle assembly apart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still can't get this throttle right or I've got something FUBAR'ed on the carb...

The bike will crank. idle's superfast until it burns all the gas out of the carb and then chokes. I can't use the throttle at all to give it more gas..

I'm just sick of looking at it right now.. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.