PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mini riding has come a long way in a short amount of time. What started out as adults riding small, cheap Honda motorcycles with fabbed on FMF exhausts and BMX bars, has now become a sport full of high dollar, fire breathing bikes that look like mini 450F's. $1300 bikes became $14,000 bikes. 2HP engines became 17HP engines, and it seemed only the rich could compete.

Then came the Chinese bikes. No longer did you have to spend $10,000+ to compete or have a good performing bike. For a small fraction of that price, you'd have a decent bike. But there has been endless heated debate on whether or not these bikes are actually race worthy, or if they simply a cheap look alike. Do you really get what you pay for? Could you really ride a race bike worth $1500-$2000?

We decided to take that question, and push it just a little further. Many people are familiar with some of the looked down upon, cheaper, budget models out there. Available from some dealers for a mere $500-$600. We decided to take one of these bikes and see if it was actually ride-able, or if it was simply a bike with looks of steel and performance of tin. Our bike of choice? The SSR110 from SSR Motorsports. While normally carrying a price tag a little above $600, at certain times of the year you can find this bike available for merely $599 shipped, and we snagged one up and decided to put it to the test.

We ordered it up from our local dealer and when it showed up it was crated well, and within an hour was assembled and ready for break in. The bike started right up and we ran it through a few heat cycles, and the only bolts we checked and tightened were the handlebars, we left everything else AS IS. A quick oil change and we were off to the track.

ROUND 1

Bike started and ran great from the factory, which was a plus. We immediately noticed the shock came very stiff, giving you the impression the shock wasn't actually there. One lap on the track pretty well convinced of that the shock actually wasn't made to move, as it felt SOLID. About 4 laps in and it was time to bring the bike in and we found the first batch of issues.

To start with, the grips do not come with any glue and will slip right off the bars if you don't glue them yourself. Secondly, the tires really do not work well at all unless in hard pack, and wear out quickly. We replaced the rear with a starcross MS2 and left the front on. The line coming out of the gas cap does not like to stay in, so either replace the cap or forget about using a fuel line. And unless you are a heavy rider (1 of our testers was 195lb, two others at 160lb), the shock will have too stiff. Nothing we could really do about it other than hope for the best.

We made the appropriate fixes and we were ready to try it again.

Round 2

We ripped off again and started to try to get a feel for the bike. The footpegs were nice, perhaps not the strongest looking but they provided a nice platform to stand on. The bars were a little swept back for most preferences, but came at a decent height, and overall the riding position wasn't too bad. Brakes worked great, not too much grab like some models we've tried, but the disc brakes front and rear stopped you quickly. Power was not great by any means, 5.5HP at the rear wheel is what is claimed, so think a 88 class with a long swingarm.

We started to warm up to a few jumps, but in the meantime we started to really hit some corners, and noticed this bike cornered amazingly well! It tucked in hard and just railed around. We could actually go in and blast corners almost like on our race bikes. Possible reason for this could best be described by one of the pictures below. The front suspension is soft, very soft. Setup for perhaps a 110lb rider. And the shock... well, you probably have a good idea on how we feel about the shock. So with a soft front end and a hard rear end, the bike just burrows down in the corners, so keeping your body weight to the rear of the bike is essential.

Once we started hitting a few gaps, then things began to get sketchy. Lean forward and you'll bottom out the smallest jump. Lean back and you'll end up landing on your butt as the bike was very prone to flipping over backwards. How we got through the the weekend with only 1 rear fender will never be known...

So after a couple hours we simply couldn't take the shock any more. There seemed to be zero dampening in it, it was rock solid (albeit softening up slightly during the day) and just wanted to buck you off. So we tried it with a SGR Infinity shock, just for kicks. The difference was staggering.

Now the bike felt more stable, it could handle the jumps, it wouldn't buck you through the whoops, it felt more like a bike should. We put a few more laps in on it and decided to call it a day.

Round 3

Another oil change and once again the bike started right up. We ended up kicking off the metal air filter that came on the bike, so replaced it with a foam filter from another bike and went out again. We logged in half a days ride, hit some pretty good gaps and nothing really went wrong. We pulled it in, found some loose spokes, tightened them up and tightened the engine mount bolts up about 1 turn and made sure we didn't miss anything that might've fallen off. We figured we checked everything that could be checked, put some graphics on it, loaded it up and headed off to the Spokane Minibike race.

Now, that was our first weekend on the bike. I'll cut most of the details, but will say we had a lot of fun, a lot of laughs and few good crashes on this bike, and from 2 intermediate level riders and 1 beginner level riders perspective, here's what we have to say about this bike.

The simple and sweet answer to the question.... can you ride a bike worth the price of a helmet. Yes. Now, can you RACE a bike worth the price of a helmet. Yes. Can you compete weekly on this bike and expect it to hold up? Depends on your ability, but for the most part, no.

We jumped gaps with this bike some guys wouldn't attempt on a 250. We rode it hard, pushed it to the limit, and found that it took a whole lot more than we would've expected. However, you simply cannot expect a race bike for $600.

Bad points

We bent 2 frames, and while they were on some good sized jumps. These WERE jumps that were 40+ feet in length, so normal useage should be fine, but it's worth noting.

Rear swingarm bushings go out after about 5 rides and need to be replaced.

The engine works good out of the crate, but the transmission gets loose and it's easy to pop between 2nd and 3rd gear while riding.

The suspension comes rather unbalanced, making for an interesting ride.

Steel rims bend easier than we are used to with aluminum ones

The brake pedal works but is rather ugly looking.

The stock handlebars bend easily

The stock grips are pretty poor quality

The stock tires are very poor quality

The exhaust is slightly restrictive

The gas cap is poor quality and won't keep a hose on

Good points

You get a rideable bike right out of the crate for the price of a helmet, how can you beat that?

Forks with some new springs would work pretty good

Engine stayed strong through over 20 hours of riding

Engine comes with a E22 head

Bikes has a comfortable sitting position

Wave rotors and good quality brake system. Incredible considering the price of the bike.

Decent quality seat, we expected worse

Good sized footpegs

Big bike style swingarm

Good quality plastics

Many color choices when ordering

Stronger pegmount than we would've expected. We never broke one.

Good quality wheel bushings. Never went out on us.

Now I'm sure I missed a few, but you can get the picture. We took a bike that costs almost about as much money as a Arai helmet, and we rode it and raced it, and enjoyed ourselves. To think you can actually get, an entire motorcycle with halfway decent components on it and ride it for this amount of money, is nothing short of amazing.

So if you're on a budget and looking for a playbike, if you want to just get started into the pitbike market, or if you just want a playbike for backyard races with your friends... then this could very well be the bike for you. With a couple hundred in upgrades, I see no reason why this bike couldn't be raced in a few amateur races too. We had Brandon Hess ride a bone stock SSR110 in the 10" Amateur class in Spokane and he finished second, nothing to sneeze at.

Bike can be seen here

SSRMotorsports

Specs

Frame Steel Back Bone

Swing Arm Steel, "Straight" Type

Engine 107 cc.

Engine Type 4 Stroke, Single Cylinder, Air Cooled

Transmission Manual Clutch, 4 Speeds

Start Mode Kick Start

Rated Power 4.85 hp/7500 rpm

Max Power 6.71 hp

Fuel Tank 0.8 gal

Carburetor 22 mm. Keihin

Front Hydraulic, Conventional

Rear 265mm, Preload Adjustable

Wheel Front/Rear 12/10" Steel

Tire Front 2.75-12; Rear 3.0-10

Front Brake Wavy Rotor Disc

Rear Brake Wavy Rotor Disc

Min. Ground 7.0 in.

Seat Height 28.0 in.

Wheel Base 41.5 in.

Size n/a

Weight 145lb

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SLAyER said:
Nice writeup. Glad to read non-biased reviews. :)

Not exactly my best article, I didn't proof read it or anything... but I've been wanting to write it for a while now.

I've written many articles for many magazines, for about 8 years now. I have learned that no matter what my feelings for the company may or may not be, I need to write a honest review. Any article/ review you see from me will always be my honest and sometimes brutal view on the subject.

I honestly was impressed by this bike. :cool:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
yes, very well written and i enjoyed reading it. it felt like i was reading transworld or something almost lol. it woulds been cool if you kinda did the breakdown like they use to do in minimoto with the different sections like suspension, engine, frame, brakes and whatever else they did. you included all the information it was just in a different format.

overall its awesome that you took the time to infrom everyone, i think you should def be doing some bike reviews for pm magazine :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
That was absolutely great. As a new guy I really appreciate someone taking the time to write out a no B/S review. This is what I want to hear instead of "Get a (brand-X) bike because all those other bikes suck" or "Anything other than (brand-x) bikes fall apart after 30 minutes".

It would be awesome if more bikes were reviewed in this manner. Sometimes it seems like most of the information out there is spun one way or another or it is mainly geared towards the racer. What about the little guys who want great bikes to tool around the yard/trail/track on. I think this was the perfect bike review. If a cheap bike can run like this, then maybe I don't need to spend that 4K on a play bike. Or maybe so :rolleyes: . Just a thought.

Logan

·
Registered
566 Posts
logan01 said:
that was absolutely great. As a new guy i really appreciate someone taking the time to write out a no b/s review. This is what i want to hear instead of "get a (brand-x) bike because all those other bikes suck" or "anything other than (brand-x) bikes fall apart after 30 minutes".

It would be awesome if more bikes were reviewed in this manner. Sometimes it seems like most of the information out there is spun one way or another or it is mainly geared towards the racer. What about the little guys who want great bikes to tool around the yard/trail/track on. I think this was the perfect bike review. If a cheap bike can run like this, then maybe i don't need to spend that 4k on a play bike. Or maybe so :rolleyes: . Just a thought.

Logan

bingo!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
good job dude i enjoy reading stuff like that .... "PM magazine" do it!!!....

iv always wanted to buy one of those bikes on the side of the road and run the crap out of it just to see how much it could take ha ha

i dont know if i missed it or not but how did it do in the race ????

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Catlin G said:
good job dude i enjoy reading stuff like that .... "PM magazine" do it!!!....

iv always wanted to buy one of those bikes on the side of the road and run the crap out of it just to see how much it could take ha ha

i dont know if i missed it or not but how did it do in the race ????

Brandon was leading the first moto, lost the lead, attempted a couple jumps he shouldn't have been and bent the frame. He still went out and finished his second moto and got 2nd overall.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Im deffinately happy and surprised ypu wrote this review on the bike i just order, well i got the DX3 but pretty much the same thing.

and im glad that i can see what ill be looking forward to.

also someone else that i talked to on youtube that had this bike said the swingarm bushings are a little crappy.

Thanks for the informative review.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts