PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The big reason I got a 50 was so I could tinker around with it and upgrade it as I could learning about how bike are put together and all. However, today I started to replace my handlebars and I've run into the first problem already too! I can't unscrew the damn screws and bolts! Oh I got a couple off of the throttle, but the ones under the throttles and the fork bolts won't budge! And I have stripped them a tad and don't want to strip them further. I'm already going to have to replace them cuz I chewed 'em up a bit.

Mind you, I have unscrewed bolts and things before without this problem. Is there a good tool I should be using instead of just plain old socket wrenches and screwdrivers?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I apologize if this is too simplistic but first make sure your using the correct size wrench and screwdrivers.

don't use adjustable wrenches. 12pt sockets=best.

make sure your using metric

if you need to use something to add to the length of the wrench (like a pipe), remember leaverage is good!.

if you strip the heas of the screws, get another person and have them hold while you use a screwdriver and pliers on the head at the same time

you can also tap on the end of the screwdriver with a hammer while you try and turn it.

hope this stuff helps, i'm online for i bit on aim if you need immediate help

·
Registered
491 Posts
ya and if you don;t hav a pipe, its hard to explain but if u got a open and closed end wrench, use the closed end on the bolt and get another wrench and try to find a way to get the open and and closed end to link together (put one prong of the open end part into the closed end and play around with it a bit) and tat will extend the wrench and also give u more leverage

·
Registered
34 Posts
humm

Well the way i did it, is i have a little kit that has almost every size and i use the one the works Best. match the size.

The hard part is you cant really put much force on the bike becuase its so light u can tip it, So stand and put the 50 Between ur legs like that it leans on ur legs and you can use Both hands. ( get ur mind out the gutter).

And after you have tried it all and it still dont come off Use EZ off kit to drill it out, I had to do that to one of my bolts that go on the tank.

Good luck, and remember to have patience. It helps.

Let me if you have any other questions or need some tools.

·
Registered
684 Posts
turn the handle bars until they hit the steering stop whichever direction so that you can use it to your advantage. then begin unloosening the nut and the steering stop will help you and the bars wont twist.

fyi, its a Foreign bike. all the hardwear is Metric.

with a 8mm,10mm,12mm,14mm,17mm,19mm,30mm, visegrips, flat and phillips head screw driver you can build the entire bike ground up.

another good investment are t-handles. i wont even work on my bike if i dont have access to t-handles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Screw it!

OK, well I double checked my toolkit and I am using metric sockets and the closest I can find that will fit. I think my problem is don't have the arm strength to puch the socket down and around at the same time, so the socket tends to slip of the bolt.

I decided to ask my friends hubby to come over and help me with the fork bolts. So I went on to try and take the seat off to get to the shock to put a stiffer spring in. Everything went fine untl the last screw by the gas tank. Can't get it loose. So now I can't do that either. I think my problem with that isn't the wrong size screw driver, it's just the screwdriver is a piece of junk. OK, then the strength thing again, arghhhhh.

What a crappy time to be without a boyfriend! :oops:

Anyone know if these screws and bolts have to be special ordered. I could leave the mangled ones, but it's just not right!

Appreciate all your help guys. I'll get this sorted out.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
the screws on the tank are #2 phillips head.

if you have an big ajustable wrench try wrenching the handle.

most of the bolts are a pain to find(example; the bolts on the springs are a 10mm bolt with a 1.25 pitch, its IMPOSSIBLE to find, oem honda only :( ) but lots you can get at a hardware store tho.

youll get it

·
Registered
684 Posts
Re: Screw it!

50ccchick said:
I decided to ask my friends hubby to come over and help me with the fork bolts. So I went on to try and take the seat off to get to the shock to put a stiffer spring in. Everything went fine untl the last screw by the gas tank. Can't get it loose. So now I can't do that either. I think my problem with that isn't the wrong size screw driver, it's just the screwdriver is a piece of junk. OK, then the strength thing again, arghhhhh.

for the phillips head screw that holds the shroud to the tank, use a phillips head "#3" screwdriver.

it will come out with ease.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had the same problem with my shroud screw on my tank. I used a power drill and leaned into it and it came right out. There must be something up with the tank inserts cause if I tighten that screw even a little bit I can't get it out without using my drill.

Other than that I've had no issues with anything else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have tried 6 point, 12 point, adjustable, wd40, leverage, prayer, bad words, etc.

I am beaten! The only thing besides having more muscle that can help me now is an impact wrench and maybe an impact drill. Although the screw might be to the point where I need a screw remover too.

I'm about ready to chuck this thing under a bus!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have tried 6 point, 12 point, adjustable, wd40, leverage, prayer, bad words, etc.

did you try bloody knuckles????

if you are having touble with striping the screws you should try using a drill with a screw tip... and lean on the drill applying as much pressure to the screw as you can while making the drill do the turning work

[/code]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
mxboy57 said:

did you try bloody knuckles????

if you are having touble with striping the screws you should try using a drill with a screw tip... and lean on the drill applying as much pressure to the screw as you can while making the drill do the turning work

[/code]

I have close to bloody knuckles. Tried the drill thing too. Didn't work. But I do appreciate all the ideas.

I haven't tried a blow torch yet...hmmmm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Those phillips head's on the shrouds are a huge pain when the bike is brand new!!

The easiest way to get them loose is to use an impact screwdriver if you have one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

Well, I finally got most of the bolts and screws off the bike. But it took 3 friends, 2 different socket sets, and now one screwed up screw driller to do it! I'd like to find the guy at Honda who tightened this puppy down and slap him silly! I'm finding actually doing the mods after the screws are undone aren't too bad actually.

Hey Hondaho56, where did you find the impact screwdriver? I looked at Lowes and Home Depot and Lowes and niether on had it. Ebay had 'em but that would be a bit of a wait to get it.

Thanks 50nutsrider, maybe next time I can fly you out to help!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.