PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

After long periods of searching/thinking (china motor moves) I decided to buy a reconditioned 108cc standard Honda nice motor for my ZB! That's what I always wanted and I'm now going to do it. (I really can't afford a new one)

The high prices made me doubt, but there goes nothing beyond the pure Honda quality.

I've read several story's telling me not to buy a reconditioned one, but I found a shop in the UK promising me that they deliver high quality reconditioned motors.

I don't think I can mention their name here, but I'm curious of what you guys think of it

All comments are welcome!

Hope you can help me out what to decide.

·
Registered
569 Posts
hi,

can you please mention which shop you want to buy the motor off in the uk??

i'm from the u.k myself,

i own a tuned honda nice motor , i got mine from germany which is known as

the home of high-end nice tuning

considering your from the netherlands wouldn't it be better to purchase a nice reconditioned from

www.hot-shot-monkeys.de or

www.tjr-motorsport.de

they may not have them listed but dont hesitate to contact , great service

and you will save on postage

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
How much are you paying for this reconditioned one. PM me if you dont want to post. I paid $1,150US for a brand new one. Brad bought a recondition one and ended up spending alot of time and money to get it right. I would just buy new but thats my 2cents

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I can mention their name, nothing wrong or negative about it.

It's Monkey Biker.net

They're selling reconditioned 108cc standard motors for $1000,- (€670,-) and that's the max. for me.

I know hotshot monkeys and TJR too, HSM asks €980,- for a motor, and at the website of TJR I can't find prices of reconditioned ones..

It's the question what's the best deal in the end... buying a good one at once or make a poor reconditioned one good....

·
Registered
13 Posts
It all depends who does the job and what it parts it entails. I've seen good reconditioned engines and bad ones. Considering your budget there is not a lot of choice.

Hopefully these guys you want to buy from can tell you which parts are exchanged in the process. The nice engines are quite solid, but are used to the bone in Thailand. Also, a stock nice engine is not a very high performance engine. It is good for touring.

If you save up some more you could buy a brand new Daytona 150 which would give you much more power, looks better (imho) and is also good quality wise. Myself, I don't like the chunky looks of the nice engine but I have worked on a few.

You can pm me or maybe check one of the Dutch forums for more info.

·
Registered
569 Posts
adrie said:
It's Monkey Biker.net

They're selling reconditioned 108cc standard motors for $1000,- (€670,-) and that's the max. for me.

I know hotshot monkeys and TJR too, HSM asks €980,- for a motor, and at the website of TJR I can't find prices of reconditioned ones..

i've never heard of monkeybiker.net and i'm from the u.k !

been on the scene for a few years now,

when you include the 100- 150 euro insured postage from u.k to netherlands

the price is getting closer to HSM

when i first purchased my high-end nice motor of dirk ,i didn't realise he priced me for a tuning set not including the base motor ,he thought i already had a stock110 nice

so i recalculated the deal ,leaving out a race ignition and carb and this swayed him to build me a complete block from brand new blank cases and components

i then bought the ignition and carb couple of weeks later

if you were to save on postage, not include an ignition (flywheel and stator) and not request the standard schwag carb

you will be very close to HSM price, which i can honestly say will be built profesionally by 1 of the top nice tuningshops worldwide

then add a 20-24mm carb and a honda z50j 12v lightened flywheel and stator assembly ,which is much better than the standard nice ignition and much less price

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have my doubts on the reconditioned motors, I think it's not wise to buy one.

You're right, in the end I have a much better motor for the same money (or less) if I buy one from HSM according to my own specs.

I already have a 20mm Keihin carb and a complete 12V ignition assembly (Honda C70) spare in my garage.

I think I'm going to mail HSM to make me a good offer!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
*****They're selling reconditioned 108cc standard motors for $1000***** did you read my post I paid 1150US which is probley only $50US more to the euro. Buy new no point in buying a reconditioned one at that price

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh, I noticed the small difference in price. Knowing that there is no time left for doubts.

Just buy a new one without ignition and carb.

Where did you buy yours?

·
Registered
569 Posts
heres a review of a poorly reconditioned nice motor from another forum ;)

"£350 in bits to put right what was surposed to be a re conditioned engine , no back up service when i complained i was always told the owners away on business or not there , was also told they would ring back to which never happened.

my complaints where

1/ to much play in the front spocket

2/ kick start went sraight to the floor

3/ jumped out of 3 gear

4/ clutch cover broken

5/ vent cover missing from head

when the engine was stripped down i had to replace ; 2nd and third gear broken ,kick start shaft and front sprocket shaft due to wear , the crank also had to be replaced due to excessive wear , oil seals were leaking . all in all i think for a £650 reconditioned engine i was ripped off . for all the money ive spent i could off bought a new engine. SO BE WARNED "

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx Adam! that's shocking!

Somehow I don't trust them reconditioned Nice motor sellers...Their website is also doubty, my PC shows me warnings of "untrusted certificates" when I trie to enter the webshop. I mailed them what this was about and now I don't hear anything anymore, very strange....

I'll go for new, have send a mail to HSM, but still no reply... I think he's busy building "nice" things....

BTW, The old C70 12V CDI ignition will fitt to the Nice motor or am I wrong?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got a message back from HSM, reconditioned motor (standard) will cost €700,- without ignition, std. carb, ignition cover and front sprocket cover... (wiring, CDI, new clutchcover, shift pedal, rectifier and clutch operating parts included)

I still prefer a new one without all the extra's I don't need for $1150,- but where do I find one......

·
Registered
569 Posts
before i bought my high-end nice off Dirk @ HSM

i owned a reconditioned 110cc stock nice i bought off DRP u.k in 2006 for around £600 / 700 euro ,

Gary the owner told me he'd replaced the crankshaft, 2nd gear and some other parts aswell as rebuilt it with new green gaskets and allen bolts alround

the motor still runs good to this day

its all down to who builds/ reconditions them ;)

·
Registered
443 Posts
adrie said:
Got a message back from HSM, reconditioned motor (standard) will cost €700,- without ignition, std. carb, ignition cover and front sprocket cover... (wiring, CDI, new clutchcover, shift pedal, rectifier and clutch operating parts included)

I still prefer a new one without all the extra's I don't need for $1150,- but where do I find one......

hi have you tried anthony (primedup) on ebay.com he's an american living in thailand he'll sort you out a good price had some good feedback about him

·
Registered
169 Posts
A couple of years ago there was a great (?) video of a Nice engine rebuilt done somewhere in the streets of Asia. Very fast work, maybe not so clean.

I think it was part of this series:

It would be nice to see that video again, but I can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys,

I was quite busy last days spending alot of time on email contact with Anthony (primedup) in Thailand. I decided to buy a brand new Nice motor from him completely in parts for a good price.

If anybody is interested in a good deal I can really advise you to contact Anthony, excelent guy to communicate with. Clear and fast!

And today I received the box full of brand new honda parts!!! only 3 days shipping time with Fedex, superb! I felt really happy! Couldn't wish me a better Christmas gift....

And now....it's assembly time! (I'll post some pictures during the assemly.)

Thank you all for the NICE comments!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh forgot to ask, has anybody a PDF copy of a Nice workshop manual?

I've got the Thai partslist, but with a shopmanual beside it's a littlebit more easy to assemble...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm building it for now completely standard....bought it without ignition, I was thinking to an C70 CDI ignition and an old school C90 cover, but that won't fit...

Going to look for an other solution....

Think of fitting something like this...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts