PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the girl wants a bike so she can come riding with me looked at some CRF150r's and seem the right hieght for her and ill just have to teach her how to ride it

so what to look for? is there any major changes through the years?

problems they have etc

been looking on craigslist and the local honda dealers so i got a good idea of what they are going for

thanks

Mooie

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
The 150f's would be better for her, way easier to ride and the 150r's have usually had the crap ridden out of them, theyre less reliable than a 250f as far as maintenance goes and I think the 2005 and up have electric starts and I know the earlier years are kick, we had a f model and it was a great bike

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crf250 is way too much bike for her, i know she would be better suited to a trail bike but she wants a mx bike theres no arguing with her plus the suspension isnt upto much

·
Registered
223 Posts
The CRF150R are so sweet! They are just as reliable as the bigger four strokes with proper maintanence, but you do want to carefully inspect and test ride any used bike. 2007 was the first year they sold this model, and since then they havent changed anything significant if anything at all so any year is fine as long as its in good shape. I have been wanting to get one for my wife for a while, but I think she will have to push me off of it first.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I agree. the 150r's are great bikes. The 07's had a recall on the camshaft which will break. The 07's and 08's also had a recall on the swingarms. Just make sure those recalls were done. All you have to do is give the VIN to a Honda dealer and they can run it to see if the parts were replaced.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys thats a great help, ive yet to see her ride a bike so untill then ill keep my options open to the 150f as the R might be too much power for her

id rather get the 150R straight away so we dont have to deal with buying and selling bikes after 6months or so.

have any of you guys taught anyone that has never riden a bike and started on a mx bike (like a 80/85 2 stroke or the 150R)

i wanted her to ride my 50 so she can get use to the clutch but she dont want too thinks its too small lol

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
One more thing. The CRF150f is a great bike but even though it is about the same size as a CRF150rb, it is much heavier. Look at the specs on Honda's website, the 150f is about the same weight as a CRF450!

If I were in your position and had a CRF50 with a clutch setup, I'd tell my daughter to prove she can ride it and then you will start shopping for a 150r.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As far as teaching her to ride on an mx bike i would say focus on her clutch skills. Teach her to get really good with the clutch because if you have good clutch control you can ride almost anything. It might be best to have her learn on the 50. Make sure she sits on the bike forward and in the attack position also. I'm sure you already realize this but from experience i was 5'2" and 120lbs when I got my 150r and It will throw you off in a second if your really light. You can even try adding a flywheel weight to the 150r to tame it a bit.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thats interesting i was at the honda dealer just yesterday looking at some more bikes and i had her sit on all the F range of bikes 50 through 230

now this is my Girl friend not daughter (i dont have any kids) she is 5ft 6", not sure if she knows how to ride a bike i will find out this weekend when i take her out on the 50, it does have a manual clutch so untill i see how comfortable she is riding a bike ill not know if the R is a good or bad idea

id like her to get the 150R and be done with it but i want her to have fun riding

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well she rode the 50 and didnt stall it using the clutch (i think having a manual transmision car helped her understand how the clutch works)

Frist go i had her pull away and ride in 1st gear she was nervious but she got it, then she went through the gears fine on her second run

my 50 is a takegawa 106 +R with manual clutch 14-37 gearing fast50s billet frame and weighs next to nothing (stock crf50 110pounds), so with the 150f weighing 236pounds and the 150R weighing 187pounds

i looked into HP figures

-150f about 12hp, 236lbs weight

-150R about 22hp, 187lbs weight

im not sure what to get still its a hard choice

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's a tough call. There are a lot of positives to the F model. Cheaper, can be found used for under $1500 in excellent shape. Easier maintenance, change the oil once a year and it'll keep running longer than you will. Did I mention cheap?

The R is a ripper but comes at a cost of more intense (although still not bad) maint. It costs more up front. It would likely last her a bit longer, particularly if it's a big wheel version.

What you didn't mention in your posts is what kind of riding you all will be doing and what your primary bike is that you'll be on with her?

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its a super tough call cos i want her to enjoy riding the bike and not have to change bikes either way in 6months or maybe stright away!

i raced Motocross in the UK and only ride tracks right now i only have the 50 and ride my mini supercross track in the back yard and we have started to hit up the local mx track on the 50s that has a mini track, the 150R would be too loud for my back yard track and ill be hoping to get another 450 at some point, makes sence to get the 150R so it can handle the tracks but still not sure if she can handle the power

·
Registered
188 Posts
I still think a flywheel weight will tame a 150r enough for her. I found one on crfsonly.com. I'd go with the 9oz one that way it's harder to stall and won't take off from underneath her as easily because the throttle response is less snappy. It makes sense to get the big wheel and you can find them pretty reasonable new and used. The dealerships have so many left overs and they need to get rid of them. If I were you I wouldn't get the 150f. Don't get me wrong it's a great play bike but the only comparison between the two is the displacement. The 150r is a sick bike. Thats just my .02

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fly wheel weight sounds like a very good option if we go with the 150R, we would be getting the big wheel version

at this point i think she is leaning towards the 150F as a starter but id like to get the R so we dont have to sell and rebuy later!

watch this space ill post up what we get but we got to wait for her taxes to come, no rush on getting anything soon so we can get more bike time for her

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nothing happening yet till California pays up with the taxes

but looking like shes leaning towards the 150F and then get the suspension done for her

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok still looking at bikes but money is tight right now as california said the 5k+ she is owed isnt gonna happen cos they dont have any money!!!

been looking for good deals on 150fs but i looked at the KLX140 big wheel its only down fall is its about 2" shorter than the crf150f and BBR dont really make much for it no longer linkage pretty much only stiffer springs and a pipe!

but the KLX140 is really cool it has a proper shock on the back that works really well and rear disk break

anyone messed around on one of these bikes are they good?

do you think if i cut the shock mount off and lowered it it would raise the rear height or would the only way be to make a longer linkage?

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
ok still looking at bikes but money is tight right now as california said the 5k+ she is owed isnt gonna happen cos they dont have any money!!!

been looking for good deals on 150fs but i looked at the KLX140 big wheel its only down fall is its about 2" shorter than the crf150f and BBR dont really make much for it no longer linkage pretty much only stiffer springs and a pipe!

but the KLX140 is really cool it has a proper shock on the back that works really well and rear disk break

anyone messed around on one of these bikes are they good?

do you think if i cut the shock mount off and lowered it it would raise the rear height or would the only way be to make a longer linkage?

klx has big potential and done at a fair price. kx 80/100 forks, kx 80/100 swinger linkage the rear shock if i remember does need a lil tweaking to work or if you can fab and weld its better to do the frame. motor wise boy is there lots of options 3 different sized 2 valved heads one import dohc 4 valve capable of 300+cc's im a die hard honda man myself and hate to say if but if i was going for a bang for a buck build id lean towards the kawie.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Ask Luckystar64 or Art5 about the 140. There are things that can be done tot he rear end but from what I remember reading you will have to do a little fab work to make it fit.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im a welder fabricator so thats not a problem for me, ive seen one been modded with the kx100 forks and rear shock on thumper talk

the stock forks would work fine for now but the thing is just a little too small

im a Honda guy too they have always been good to me

she wanted a ttr230 probably cos she liked the colour but that things a heavy pig and again no aftermarket parts so i said we could buy an YZ85 and put the 230 motor in it but she started freaking out she just dont understand how my mind works lol

a mx bike with a tame 4banger motor would be prefect

1 - 20 of 25 Posts