PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

just bought a rough z50a 1969 that i plan to restore.
the battery is obviously missing and i was wondering the purpose of the battery on this bike

thanks !

·
Super Moderator
10,729 Posts
You really only need the battery to keep your lights bright at low speeds.
tmas

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Not sure what the laws were back then but I do know that currently, in NJ, you need a battery on any street legal bike. The reason is as above but also so that the lights can remain on if motor conked out. Maybe Honda was thinking ahead initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
A safety feature that keeps the tail light only lit, for parking or engine failure situations. The 1969 Z50 is unique in that it was equipped more like a full sized bike, with brake switches and a battery. The other function of the battery in some of these small Hondas is to act as a buffer for overcharging. In this model, there was not a big problem with it, but models like the CT70 and SL70 will blow lightbulbs if there is no battery in the system.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Not sure what the laws were back then but I do know that currently, in NJ, you need a battery on any street legal bike. The reason is as above but also so that the lights can remain on if motor conked out. Maybe Honda was thinking ahead initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
So honda baja, monkey-r and ape are not legal there. (ape pre injection has no battery, baja has a battery(2V!) but only for neutral and sidestand )

As a matter of fact, monkeys do not run lights of their battery either.

·
Registered
106 Posts
A number of years ago I had found a new battery and didn't want to ruin it by putting acid in it so put it in and took out the fuse. Have no need to use the lights anymore but if you do as long as you don't over rev it the bulbs will last. I ride my 70 if I have a need for speed and lights :D

Dcp_0590.jpg

·
Registered
522 Posts
If you only need lights for a short period when motor not running you could get innovative and strap a few super capacitors in a series to get a lifelong battery !

·
Registered
29 Posts
great, that is what i thought - thanks !
HI all,

just bought a rough z50a 1969 that i plan to restore.
the battery is obviously missing and i was wondering the purpose of the battery on this bike

thanks !
Great restoration project, have fun fixing it. Don't worry about the battery for now, she can run perfect without it. Focus first on the motor/carb/points first, make it run great then keep going with the rest. All the best.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Did not get much time so far. I cleaned the carb, there s a spark, but still not running. Received Today the impact driver to remove the left cover and will check the points nets this week end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts