PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a picture of a guy who has pegs on the front wheels of a Z50R and I want to do the same.

I am trying to identify heavy duty longer pegs and then I expect to have to drill them out to 12mm ID the same
as the Axle used on the Z50R. Next I need to get an axle that is about two inches longer and possibly threaded
on both ends or maybe not. I understand the BMX pegs are hollow and deep long sockets are needed to reach
way up in there to tighten the nuts onto the axle. I would like to know what the ID is of the inside holes of the
Stunt Pegs so I will know what max size socket I can use.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have completed my research. There are two kinds of Stunt Pegs for BMX bikes. The first are pegs that are threaded themselves
and screw onto the axle instead of axle nuts. These of course require threading on both sides of the axle. The problem is
that they come in axle diameters of14mm OR 3/8 of an inch. My 1981 Z50R has 12mm axles. SO, that means one possibility
would be for me to take threaded 3/8" pegs and drill out the end to 12mm and then reach into the peg with deep sockets to
screw the nut onto the axle.. OR I might be able to get a tap matching the 12mm threads needed and rethread the inside of the BMX peg. I hope the pegs are made of hardened material and if so it might not be possible to rethread them. I believe the axle length may have to be at least one inch longer ( half inch on each side ) if I drill them out smooth.
to accommodate the thickness of the peg.

The other type of peg is non threaded and is designed for the original axle nuts to be tightened inside the peg tube using
long sockets. My 12mm axle will not fit through the 3/8" hole which is created by using supplied reducers to reduce the hole
inner diameter from 14mm to 3/8. It would be great if they had a reducer from 14mm to 12mm. It may be difficult to impossible
to drill out the 3/8" adapter to a 12mm size. However I am thinking it may not matter if I have some stout 12mm washers that
will fit into the BMX peg under the 12mm nut. Once again I am going to need a longer axle for all the washer and peg thickness.
It was mentioned elsewhere that the rear axle on the Z50R is longer than the front axle but I do not know how much. If it was too
long it seems the solution would be to use as many washers as necessary to take up the space.

I have identified several models of BMX pegs ... just google and you will find dozens....

My next action is to research axle lengths and sources . I guess it will not be too much trouble
to quickly pull the front axle out and measure the length with a ruler. One minor sticking point.
The threads on the axles ... specifically the 12mm axles are FINE thread metric and not the kind of nuts
and screws found at Lowes and HomeDepot which have only the COARSE thread nuts and bolts.
In any case the nuts we would want to use should be hardened 8.8 grade or aviation quality nuts
and not the soft stuff sold in Home Depot..

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
sounds like you are driving yourself bananas and turning into stephen hawking over it when all the r&d has already been done and laid out for you by 50mafia.com

·
Registered
676 Posts
50mafia and 50 stunt have taken care of all this years ago. I like to tinker as well, but sometimes it's best to just go with what you know will work, instead of damaging the parts you already have trying to make something else work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Misfitbob and DangerDave, you guys are a few weeks late. Where were you when I needed you ?
OH yea. LAID OUT WHERE ? ? ? I spent dozens of hours perusing the threads on this site and I never saw the detail
specs or steps or instructions.... I did see one of their photos and shared that earlier.
Maybe their approach is better than my approach. I hate to reinvent the wheel but no one responded
and I did not see any messages dealing with the subject..

·
Super Moderator
10,597 Posts
Misfitbob and DangerDave, you guys are a few weeks late. Where were you when I needed you ?
OH yea. LAID OUT WHERE ? ? ? I spent dozens of hours perusing the threads on this site and I never saw the detail
specs or steps or instructions.... I did see one of their photos and shared that earlier.
Maybe their approach is better than my approach. I hate to reinvent the wheel but no one responded
and I did not see any messages dealing with the subject..
Check link...
tmas

50mafia

·
Registered
676 Posts
lol Sorry man this forum has been basically dead for the last few years. I don't have a pc at my house, and on my phone for whatever reason it's always gave me issues trying to post. I get on from time to time hoping to see someone getting into mini stunting, or a resurge of the old guys from back when I was on here a lot.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have completed my research. There are two kinds of Stunt Pegs for BMX bikes. The first are pegs that are threaded themselves
and screw onto the axle instead of axle nuts. These of course require threading on both sides of the axle. The problem is
that they come in axle diameters of14mm OR 3/8 of an inch. My 1981 Z50R has 12mm axles. SO, that means one possibility
would be for me to take threaded 3/8" pegs and drill out the end to 12mm and then reach into the peg with deep sockets to
screw the nut onto the axle.. OR I might be able to get a tap matching the 12mm threads needed and rethread the inside of the BMX peg. I hope the pegs are made of hardened material and if so it might not be possible to rethread them. I believe the axle length may have to be at least one inch longer ( half inch on each side ) if I drill them out smooth.
to accommodate the thickness of the peg.

The other type of peg is non threaded and is designed for the original axle nuts to be tightened inside the peg tube using
long sockets. My 12mm axle will not fit through the 3/8" hole which is created by using supplied reducers to reduce the hole
inner diameter from 14mm to 3/8. It would be great if they had a reducer from 14mm to 12mm. It may be difficult to impossible
to drill out the 3/8" adapter to a 12mm size. However I am thinking it may not matter if I have some stout 12mm washers that
will fit into the BMX peg under the 12mm nut. Once again I am going to need a longer axle for all the washer and peg thickness.
It was mentioned elsewhere that the rear axle on the Z50R is longer than the front axle but I do not know how much. If it was too
long it seems the solution would be to use as many washers as necessary to take up the space.

I have identified several models of BMX pegs ... just google and you will find dozens....

My next action is to research axle lengths and sources . I guess it will not be too much trouble
to quickly pull the front axle out and measure the length with a ruler. One minor sticking point.
The threads on the axles ... specifically the 12mm axles are FINE thread metric and not the kind of nuts
and screws found at Lowes and HomeDepot which have only the COARSE thread nuts and bolts.
In any case the nuts we would want to use should be hardened 8.8 grade or aviation quality nuts
and not the soft stuff sold in Home Depot..
Hey that's my z!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts