PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son wants to get a new bmx, anyone got any good tips or websites he can look at? He'll just use it in the street and maybe progress to ramps.

Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
the fit completes have always been really nice, im running a sunday custom build and i love it.

couple things you want too look for,

3pc crank with sealed bearings

integrated headset

sealed hub bearings

cassette rear hub

your going to spend 350 to 450 on a really good quality bike

·
Registered
428 Posts
pretty much all the bikes on danscomp are good, the more you spend for the bike the better the bike is, but even the ones in the 200 to 350 range are good too. He doesn't need a 500 dollar bike when you could get one between 200-400 and upgrade the parts of his choosing. IMO I think the 25/9 gearing is the best, the other ones don't feel as smooth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
MOdrz110 said:

couple things you want too look for,

3pc crank with sealed bearings

integrated headset

sealed hub bearings

cassette rear hub

All bikes in dans comp have these features. Theyre pretty much standard on bmx bikes these days.

You didnt make clear your sons age or size though, thats important. If hes a real little guy, or younger than 10, you may want an 18inch wheel. Either way, if you order it from a bmx mailorder like danscomp, youre going to get a great starter bike.

The higher end bikes, say $400 and up, are basically just built with stronger, better parts. If hes still little and just learning, he wont break parts. Also keep in mind the top tube length. This is very important depending on size. you dont want him to be stretching out for the bars, very uncomfortable and dangerous. Im 5'5 and ride a 20inch tt, maybe a little too short for me but I like.

If you tell us your sons age, height, weight I could basically point you to the perfect bike/ size for him.

You could possibly find something decent at a local bike shop, or even a Target, or sporting goods store. However, the mailorder companies seem to have the best prices

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the pointers, my son is 11 and a strong little kid, l think his current GT bmx is an adult size.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about the bike size, as long as it's 20" tire he'll be ok. Like the other guy said each bike has a different feel. But you get used to whatever bike you have like I did. Just find a bike around $300 and make sure it isn't a race bike or a flatland. Whichever bike he gets, he will be happy with it. Those bikes on danscomp are really good and I wouldn't worry about the frame size just get one that's under 30 lbs and 25/9 gearing, 3 pc cranks, casette rear hub and he's good to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
erikcrvjl said:
I don't think you need to worry about the bike size, as long as it's 20" tire he'll be ok.

I wouldn't worry about the frame size just get one that's under 30 lbs and 25/9 gearing, 3 pc cranks, casette rear hub and he's good to go.

You sir, know nothing about bmx bikes. Frame size doesnt matter, LMAO. Get an 11 yr old a 21 inch top tube and see if it fits, it wont. The kid will be struggling to do a simple bunnyhop, thats just dangerous.

19-20 in. top tube is what he needs, if youre gonna get him a nice bike, at least get the right size.

Stolen Riot Bike 2010 by STOLEN# Perfect size for a kid that age, 19.5 top tube, and a lower standover height

Subrosa Tiro Bike 2010 by SUBROSA# another good one, little higher quality maybe

edit: 25/9 gearing is not important whatsoever, especially for a little kid. Kids these days think "little sprockets" are cool for some reason, thats why they get them. Some people who do real riding prefer them for different reasons, mostly for grinds. 36/13 will pedal just as smooth.

·
Registered
428 Posts
O ok smartass. He isn't going to be 11 forever and is going to grow. Remember it's a bike here not a damn motorcycle so how is riding a bike dangerous? If you want to act like you know everything go ahead. I am just stating my oppinion.

·
Registered
428 Posts
25/9 gearing is what I prefer and I find it very smooth. Again you are showing that you have no respect for other peoples opinions. Please stop being a Jack ass and try to respect my opinion.

·
Registered
8 Posts
erikcrvjl said:
O ok smartass. He isn't going to be 11 forever and is going to grow. Remember it's a bike here not a damn motorcycle so how is riding a bike dangerous? If you want to act like you know everything go ahead. I am just stating my oppinion.

LOL. If the kid is stretching his arms all the way out just to reach the bars, thats dangerous. You cant get someone into bmx and tell them the size of their frame doesnt matter, thats just silly. The kid will barely be able to hop like that.

EDIT: and if the frame is way too big for a kid they can barely reach the brake lever. Ive seen one kid almost crash into a tree because he couldnt reach the lever on my bike going fast down a hill. A 20 inch frame would probly be slightly big for an 11yr old. 19-19.75 would be good and he'll get used to it as he grows into it

And you like your 25t sprocket cause its cool and trendy, and you know it. And tiny, like your ding-a-ling lol. Any gearing can be smooth, as long as it has the right ratio.

·
Registered
129 Posts
*And you like your 25t sprocket cause its cool and trendy, and you know it. And tiny, like your ding-a-ling lol.*

haha :eek:wned:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I never said I liked that sprocket because it's small like your dick but I just said because I think it rides smoother than other gears I've ridden. I don't think is a bike under 400 that has a 21" top tube. I really don't care too much about this little topic and if you want to inform the world on how much you know go for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh I didnt know the world views this forum. But yeah.. youre wrong, im right. Did you not see the links I posted up thar??

·
Registered
428 Posts
yes i have seen the ones you posted up "thar" The subrosa bike you listed is pretty much the same as all the bikes on the site. "Your wrong, I'm right" LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
erikcrvjl said:
The subrosa bike you listed is pretty much the same as all the bikes on the site.

lol wut? What is your argument then? You said there are no bikes under 400 with a smaller top tube. Clearly, there are

1 - 20 of 28 Posts