PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the look of black forks and really dislike the stock CRF gold forks. What is the best/easiest/cheapest way to get my forks black? I've read that vinyl works and I can probably get my hands on some. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
rightpantleg said:
I love the look of black forks and really dislike the stock CRF gold forks. What is the best/easiest/cheapest way to get my forks black? I've read that vinyl works and I can probably get my hands on some. Any thoughts?

best : powder coating.

2nd best : painted with auto paint.

3rd best : rattle can , several coats followed with clear.

vinyl will peel and look bad , and your right gold forks look like krap on a trick bike.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
not a big fan of powder coat myself, its thick and chips off easy

these are dirt bikes just sand/prime and paint its cheaper looks better (if you know how to paint) and lasts pretty well

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LongMooie said:
not a big fan of powder coat myself, its thick and chips off easy

these are dirt bikes just sand/prime and paint its cheaper looks better (if you know how to paint) and lasts pretty well

How well?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
not well...I had my plastics painted in a spray booth using auto paint, clear coat, and this special primer used to adhere paint to plastic. and My paints chipping off and I dont even ride it. Its sat for 1.5yrs now and it looks worse now then when I parked it. Powder coating if done right and by a good shop will last because it will be thick and even and wont just chip off. its what you do to auto frames when restoring vehicles to show condition so obviously it wont chip. if you do it in your garage with a regular oven it may or may not.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
trtr013 said:
not well...I had my plastics painted in a spray booth using auto paint, clear coat, and this special primer used to adhere paint to plastic. and My paints chipping off and I dont even ride it. Its sat for 1.5yrs now and it looks worse now then when I parked it. Powder coating if done right and by a good shop will last because it will be thick and even and wont just chip off. its what you do to auto frames when restoring vehicles to show condition so obviously it wont chip. if you do it in your garage with a regular oven it may or may not.

Why would you even paint plastics? especialy plastic thats made to flex?

Of course that wont hold up.

If you prep the forks right and prime them right the paint will hold great the forks in the picture i posted above were painted like 8 mounths ago and theres no chipping or anything

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fiddy4ever said:
Why would you even paint plastics? especialy plastic thats made to flex?

Of course that wont hold up.

If you prep the forks right and prime them right the paint will hold great the forks in the picture i posted above were painted like 8 mounths ago and theres no chipping or anything

Whats your technique?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Black powder is not thick..it's like 35 micron

Now if you do white..you need a minimum of 65-70 micron or you'll get spots...and any kind of oranges or those shades..you need 80-85..sometimes 90 micron.

I know I used to work at a metal shop..and talked to the powder guys all the time..and I still do...it's good to have a shop key:D

Just do em in powder, it will cost like $40 maybe max..

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
rightpantleg said:
How well?

i done my swingarm with a semi gloss black, i ride dirt so it gets some action and it looks nice and has lasted very well so far.

im a fabricator welder and have used many powder coat places and im my opinion it looks ugly, thick and orange peely

if it wasnt so expensive id probably do more car parts with it but not a dirt bike

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
orange peely? where u going? Thats why I said if you wanna do it right and look good you gotta pay. it should cost around $50-75 for the forks depending on color and top clamp included or not...

ALWAYS though take all parts you want done because thats when its cheaper

·
Registered
191 Posts
LongMooie said:
i done my swingarm with a semi gloss black, i ride dirt so it gets some action and it looks nice and has lasted very well so far.

im a fabricator welder and have used many powder coat places and im my opinion it looks ugly, thick and orange peely

if it wasnt so expensive id probably do more car parts with it but not a dirt bike
Whoever is laying down your powder doesn't know what there doing..

I've never had problems with powder, unless you take a foreign metal object to them..

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
yup...maybe its nor cal we get good powder coaters here that know what do...the reason you powder coat is so that it doesnt chip away(like paint) and doesnt fade away(like anodizing)

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
ive never had a problem with anodizing fading, well not unless chemicals have been incontact with it! anyways like i said "in my opinion" powder coating does not look that nice, any i know its not gonna chip off just by looking at it, i use to get alot of powder coating done on gates and balustrade it would always have to be touched up after fitting from loading and unloading out of the work van, we would even put cardboard between, anything to prevent it,

ive even seen a mx bike frame powder coated and after one ride the bottom was chipped from the roost etc

from my experiance with powder coat it does not belong on bikes

if my rattle can painted swingarm chips or gets a scratch all i have to do it sand it down prime and paint and its good as new, cant do that with powder coat!

$5 can of paint vs $50-75 powder coat job

1 - 20 of 34 Posts