PlanetMinis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need two bikes for my kids to race in the local harescramble series. The rules for their age class is "50cc with automatic clutch". They have ridden the PW, TTR and KTM. Everything about the KTM is great except the engine. It's too peaky for them and too much maintenance for me. They are more comfortable with the TTR engine, but the chassis of the KTM is really nice (good suspension, disc brakes).

What I want is something like a KTM chassis with a TTR engine. Does anyone make such a bike? Being around 50 pounds, they don't need any more power than a TTR, so stock motor is fine. But more power is okay as long as the delivery is smooth. The biggest problem I've having in my search is that I can't tell junk from quality. I'm new to the mini world and don't know who builds a good product. They will race these bikes for 3 seasons before being old enough to enter the 65 class. I want to buy 2 complete bikes, so maybe some company is willing to build these to my specs? Or is something available that will last many years?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
You could build up a CRF50 with some really good suspension/brakes. Power would be around the same as a TTR50 (I believe). Plus you can do a lot to a stock 50 motor to make it better at 50cc. (As I found out, trying to build a stock motor for vegas)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Located in central Florida. These bikes will be used a lot for many years, so I don't mind doing some driving or shipping to get what I want.

I've looked at building an XR/TTR for what I want, but it gets expensive quick. Another problem is that most of the upgrades are designed for 180 pound adults. I don't need that much of an upgrade. I would be happy with a TTR that has 5-6" of good suspension. Drum brakes work well enough. Is there a cheap way to get that kind of suspension upgrade? I keep saying TTR because I want the e-start for the kids, but I could be talked into an XR if there are good reasons.

Another idea I have is to just buy a KTM and try to get the motor the way I want it. I could get a Tomar clutch for better maintenance. But how do I make it quiet and get better bottom end power?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Both of my kids race ktm. We run tomar and dominator clutch. It makes a huge improvement overstock you can dial the clutch and make it a lot more rideable. I have a full blown pw 50 race ready. with every imaginable mod you can do it if your intrested shoot me a pm and I'll give you some info

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
ticklechicken said:
Located in central Florida. These bikes will be used a lot for many years, so I don't mind doing some driving or shipping to get what I want.

I've looked at building an XR/TTR for what I want, but it gets expensive quick. Another problem is that most of the upgrades are designed for 180 pound adults. I don't need that much of an upgrade. I would be happy with a TTR that has 5-6" of good suspension. Drum brakes work well enough. Is there a cheap way to get that kind of suspension upgrade? I keep saying TTR because I want the e-start for the kids, but I could be talked into an XR if there are good reasons.

Another idea I have is to just buy a KTM and try to get the motor the way I want it. I could get a Tomar clutch for better maintenance. But how do I make it quiet and get better bottom end power?

I think you could do the suspension for pretty cheap if you went with a CRF50 build. Maybe look into BBR SP5 Forks or E6's for the front. And then a +2 swingarm in the rear with a good shock and it should be a pretty decent setup if you didn't want to go the KTM route.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I called BBR and explained what I was trying to do. They were very helpful, and I didn't feel like they were trying to oversell their products. Here's what they recommended (trying to get a quiet woods bike for 50cc class):

- get an XR not TTR, the e-start is nice when it works, but its not reliable

- E6 forks $650

- 2" swingarm $360

- shock spring $50

- camshaft $100

- rev box $60

- air filter $15

- clutch springs, jet kit ~$50

It came to around $1100 per bike after discount. They offered a nice discount when buying all that for two bikes.

I also talked with some local peewee parents and a local mx class instructor. Everyone says get the KTM, but more importantly, explained how to get it where I want (lower maintenance, quieter, less hit).

So I picked up an XR50 last night off CL. Bone stock for $350. I'm going to do the power upgrades which are only $225. I'll see how the kids like it. If it appears powerful enough, I may do more.

Tomorrow, I'm picking up a pair of KTM's. One is a 2008 with a Tomar clutch, and the other is a 2009. Got them as a package deal with tons of spare parts (forks, shocks, clutchs, tools, 10+ air filters, etc...).

I know I will eventually get the kids on the KTM's, so I'll keep those until they are ready. If they hate them, I'll get another XR for the time being. If they love them, I have an XR to play with. But the real reason for the XR is for a backyard practice bike for the kids. My neighbors won't like the KTM noise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.