PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of shock is used on the big bike style swingarms, like the BBR, Lahaye, etc. The reason I ask is it looks like they are getting more travel, thus needing a longer shock.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Im no fabricator, or anything like that, but Its not really the longer the shock, the more travel. You can use a Ishock on a billetware swingarm and frame, and ull end up with 6 inches of travel, but lahaye uses a ishock, same one, with different dampeneing and spring, and they're getting 10.5 ..

I think you have to bring the shock mounts in more, pushing the swingarm down and the subframe up?

BBR - Elka for there new swingarm setup, and the old one they used was the paoli. They're both 6 inches of travel.

Lahaye - Ishock

Reeg Engeneering used the same paoli shock as bbr did, but they were getting 8 inches of travel with it. Now it looks like they're using some type of works performance shock with a resivoir, and they're getting 8 inches of travel out of that as well.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
my friend anthony did his own custom suspension that started out as an ishok with a fiveo swingarm and turned out being a pro set up with 9 inches of travel, check out his piks in the bike gallery under thormx's bike pics

·
Registered
938 Posts
the shock isnt the only thing that determines the travel. with a pro setup, the shock is much closer to the pivot point of the swingarm, so the swingarm has to travel more of a distance to bottom the shock out, giving you more travel. but it also puts more leverage on the shock, so a stiffer spring is needed, maybe even valving (didnt need to valve mine).

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies, I was curious because i want to fabricate my own swingarm. I know that shock length doesnt always equal more travel, but to me it would seem like the longer the shock, the further you could move it back on the swing arm. Offroad trucks is my other hobby, and when we set up suspensions it is ideal to get as close to a 1:1 ratio on shock travel to suspension travel.

·
Registered
461 Posts
thats a old kx60 ohlins shock, not made for a 50, but it should be, it feels awesome when u sit on it.

G

·
i had some on my old 400ex and they didn't work to bad. i love my custom axis shocks on my crf450 quad though.

ohlins mx=basic.

axis mx=on the front long travel triple rate, compession, rebound, and preload adjustment. on rear dual rate, compression, rebound, and preload adjustment with no link swingarm.

axis TT/ flat track= front shorter shocks, compression, rebound, and preload adjustment. rear shorter shock compression, rebound, and preload adjustment with no link swingarm. (being made as i type)

axis only makes shocks for atvs though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.