PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new motor and a wire harness off a friend of mine that I work with. He took the parts off of a 3/4 scale motorcycle that was using a horizontal 125cc motor in it. I'm getting ready to bolt the motor in after I have the wire harness set up for what I need it for. Just the basics + now I'll be running a headlight and taillight on my pit bike. :eek:

Anyways, the motor is electric/kick start and has no starter motor and I'm not interested in getting a starter for it. So I have no need for a solenoid or battery.

The wire harness was in pretty bad shape. The previous owner of the bike, before my friend, had cut and spliced into it so I had to rewire the harness for my needs of the bike.

I used a schematic I found online and cut out what I don't need. I'll post the pics that I used for the wiring. I'm just wondering if anyone has run this set up and if it's correct before I go and wrap up the wires and put it on my bike.

Verticle_engine_wiring_diagram_HI.jpg

^ Normal set up ^

without battery.png
^ Set up without battery, starter and solenoid. ^

It looks correct to me but I'm just double checking my work with someone who has already run something similar on their bike. If I had room to mount a battery tray onto my bike I wouldn't even bother asking this. :p Maybe later on down the road I'll put a starter motor on it and run the normal set up. For now though, I don't see a need for a starter motor to begin with.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I don't think you need a rectifier just a voltage regulator if your not going to use a battery.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't think you need a rectifier just a voltage regulator if your not going to use a battery.
It's both the same thing. I was kinda hoping that you would reply because I've seen what you did with yours and the headlight you put on it but I don't know how you had it wired and if you used a battery for yours or not. I have to clean up my stator, cover and flywheel, possibly replace the flywheel since it has some rust on it. Nothing a little steel wool and wd40 won't fix though. I have it mocked up on my floor right now. I just want to be sure that it is correct before I heat shrink all the splices and cover up the wires. I'll take a pic and post it for you if you like or PM it to you.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine is setup like this. Innor rotor kit - to 12V regulator - to battery. - then to a main switch that can turn all the lights on and off then the wires brake out to the head and tail lights.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is setup like this. Innor rotor kit - to 12V regulator - to battery. - then to a main switch that can turn all the lights on and off then the wires brake out to the head and tail lights.
I can't run mine like that.
999918_613873781993849_1721038085_n.jpg 999914_613873745327186_392529560_n.jpg

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I have a simple wiring diagram I saved somewhere.
With no battery it was simple it seemed.
I thought all you need is the rotor to a voltage regulator to a switch to the lights. That simple

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a simple wiring diagram I saved somewhere.
With no battery it was simple it seemed.
I thought all you need is the rotor to a voltage regulator to a switch to the lights. That simple
That is correct. All BikeStripper needs to do is run the wires (right after the 4 he has spliced together) to a voltage regulator (12v) then to the lights.

XR50wiringdiagram-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Is this motor a top mounted E start engine?
That cover looks like it or maybe its a bottom e start.
When I get back home ill look on the iPad, but I may have not saved it as I want to run a battery & dc current on my street bike.
I don't recall where I found that simple setup.
Ill look a little later.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Is this motor a top mounted E start engine?
I'll look a little later.
Yes. I'm also going to need to get a multi angle intake manifold adapter so that I can swing over the carb and air filter to the right side since the starter motor mount is in the way. :mad:

I'm in no rush so take your time. I still need to go over the motor, take the flywheel off and check the cams, rockers, valves and piston rings anyways.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Here's one of them idk how true this diagram is.
Dam what sux, when I download some they are too blurry to read. Dam iPad...
It says 6v but the same for 12 v

Attachments

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The easiest way there is ^^^^^

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for the help. :)

EDIT: Idk why I didn't think of this sooner..... I'm just going to wire in the rectifier to my pre existing wire harness. :pat:

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
What lights are ya gonna use?
I may do this simple setup for my beater z50r.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What lights are ya gonna use?
I may do this simple setup for my beater z50r.
I have some red LED lights for my tail, going to drill out some holes in the tail fairings and slide the LED's through them and just a regular single street fighter halogen headlight for the front.

These are the lights I'm going to be using.

125cc.jpg Lights.jpg

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I may be wrong but idk if leds wikk work with that wiring setup.
I may be wrong. You may have to make it dc setup with a battery.
I hope someone chimes in that knows for sure.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts