PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CRF50 with a stock motor. Right now I'm running Pirelli SL26s because I got them dirt cheap. But they are getting near the end of their life and I'm looking to get new tires. I want the best tires for circle wheelies. Opinions, please!

Oh and any tips for circles will do! I can do a little more than 360, but then I either drop the front end, lose too much speed and fall into the circle, or I gain too much speed and fall out.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I do mine with oem tires lol.

I can do proubly like 5 or 6 straight.

My bike is setup for dirt too.

Im running a 88rh with manual clutch so maybe that might be helping me?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
i as well like to do them on stock tires..and the stock z tires on my z

i do them with a bone stock motor.

and on my nobbys on my ttr110. but not as tight as i can on the 50's

just lean and gas..im 6"5 so i use my leg somtimes to toss out there like a rudder

i usally just do them till i get dizzy or get sick of turning.

never tried it with pegs or handbrake. I bet with a handbrake its easy as cake!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a handbrake. I just don't know how to correct falling in versu falling out. Is the front tire too low or too high? Am I going too fast or too slow?

I don't want knobbies to ride on asphalt. I have an extra set of wheels with knobbies on them for dirt and snow.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i have pirellis and most of the people i stunt with rock the pirellis as well. They are way better for circles than a stock dirt tire. You get alot more grip and for whatever reason they are alot easier to circle than dirt tires. Seems like when i try circles with my michelin dirt tires, i keep falling flat. It's much harder to circle for me.

the pirelli street tire is really a good tire. Makes my circles alot easier. Keep practicing and one day your circles will just click. You'll learn the feeling of that sweet spot and how to keep it where you want it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
on my ttr50 stunter i have the cheapo cheng-shing tires. on my new crf50 stunter, i have dunlop's. honestly once you learn circles, doesnt matter what tire you have on it unless its a dirt tire. i can hop on any of my friends 50's regardless of engine or tire and circle it. lower the front wheel, wider the circle. higher the front wheel, tighter the circle. just need to figure out how to lean, throttle, and handbrake control. no one can teach you that. just need practice, practice, practice!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I've been practicing a little, but tips always help!

I was just wondering if a flatter or more rounded tire profile would make circles easier?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Any street tire 3" or less will be fine. Dont run your pressure low, it makes it harder to turn. Look into the circle. Where you're looking is where you want to go. Practice doing wheelies and making 180 turns without dropping the front. Once you get that it's CAKE.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can do 180s like it's nothing. I can even get 270s almost every time. But once I get past that it seems like I lose control and fall in or out of the circle.

·
Registered
230 Posts
50-50 said:
I can do 180s like it's nothing. I can even get 270s almost every time. But once I get past that it seems like I lose control and fall in or out of the circle.

That's where i was at about 2 months ago. Try slightly differnt body positions and see how they feel and work for you. Make sure you look where you want to turn. That doesn't mean you need to look as far as you can to the side. Just need to look in the direction you want to turn. I know it may look sloppy but i kick out my leg alot to keep in the circle and keep myself balanced. Also, try keeping the front end high. It does make it easier to keep the bike turning. If you start to straighten out of the circle, learn hard and gas it to try and get it back in the circle.

Practice practice and one day it will just click. After that you can start circling in the opposite direction. Haha, for some that's like learning it all over again.:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
kdog22 said:
That's where i was at about 2 months ago. Try slightly differnt body positions and see how they feel and work for you. Make sure you look where you want to turn. That doesn't mean you need to look as far as you can to the side. Just need to look in the direction you want to turn. I know it may look sloppy but i kick out my leg alot to keep in the circle and keep myself balanced. Also, try keeping the front end high. It does make it easier to keep the bike turning. If you start to straighten out of the circle, learn hard and gas it to try and get it back in the circle.

Practice practice and one day it will just click. After that you can start circling in the opposite direction. Haha, for some that's like learning it all over again.:D

Dont listen to this guy, hes from Texas

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I practiced for like 10 minutes today. After the 3rd or 4th attempt I did like 1-1/4 circles like it was nothing, but then dropped the front end too low and I was screwed. I really couldn't get even close again so I gave up and resorted to normal wheelies.

But normal wheelies are so routine for me that they're getting boring.

·
Registered
676 Posts
ircmb38 ftw

ride wheelies in a parking lot from one end to the other, then turn and go back without dropping the wheel. That's how I learned.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
i been using S1 it doesnt matter your tires. Its all balance and throttle. and depends on how tight you are trying to do them. If you get it too tight and too high then be careful cause sometimes my stocker the carb would cause my bike to bog out after about 5 or 6 circles. Just practice until you figure it out. Just buy cheap tires they wont matter in the end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Keep in mind this: when going into a circle- throttle will pull you out. Brake will help fall in. You have to combine these two things accordingly.

Are you trying to to sitdown circles? Or staggered (right foot- front peg, left foot- axle peg)? Or both feet back on the axle pegs?

I can do sitdown circles but its a lot easier to do staggered IMO

1 - 20 of 28 Posts