PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got an xr70 but doesnt do so hot in motard due to the sluggish second gear ..i like to stunt around my place and in parking lots which is what i do most of the time since im so busy with work and school but i still like to go run some mini motard tracks on occasion..guess i want the best of both worlds but think a 50 is too small?

·
Registered
706 Posts
IT just depends what you want to do

for only $99 you can bolt on a 88cc big bore to that 70cc and really open it up, or you could even spend a lot more on a bigger kit for more power

The 70 and the 50 motor are basically the same, so if you think your 70 is sluggish, a 50 is the same thing just slower!

a 70 will take the same mods as a 50 motorwise

BUUUUUT of course, a 50 has more stunt parts available for it, but a 70 has a good amount of parts available for it..

There shouldn't be nothing wrong with stunting your 70, it just takes a lot of balance to stunt a bike that is bone stock

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
right..i mean to me if i can stunt a bone stock 70 decently i think i could stunt other bikes but i dont know other bikes that would be good for BOTH stunting AND motard...i only run track days like 2 or 3 times a month since the closest tracks are about an hour away

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hahah well i was looking at spending a little less or atleast spending it in portions ..i have the street tires,hd front springs..new rear shock ..all i have is an air filter on the stock carb...give me a list of what i should do ..with some decent prices ...trust me i take all this in lol..mini's are addicting...almost wanna sell it and get a klx but hell idk what to do hahaha

·
Registered
207 Posts
nodoze705 said:
hahah well i was looking at spending a little less or atleast spending it in portions ..i have the street tires,hd front springs..new rear shock ..all i have is an air filter on the stock carb...give me a list of what i should do ..with some decent prices ...trust me i take all this in lol..mini's are addicting...almost wanna sell it and get a klx but hell idk what to do hahaha

maybe try some 10" wheels? might make stunting a little moe fun...

throw a $300 china 125 motor in it and put your stock motor on the shelf and save it. Only takes about 15 mins to change the motors over once you custom make a wiring harness with quick disconnects.... Just an idear, it would kill a klx110 and prolly out handle it too

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah im not looking for 125..maybe an 88cc but i mean why make a 70 an 88cc when i could get a 50 and do it? is that what i should do? ..300 on a motor is more than im looking to spend on a 97 xr70 ..like anything here in the 50 classified ads i should jump on for simple motor mods? like cheap kits that wont bomb on me in a week?

·
Registered
706 Posts
firepower354 said:
Cheap 88 kit and an expensive Tak 3 speed will take care of most of your troubles.

ehhh being the cheap man I am

if your going to go to all the hassle of splitting cases to install a tranny, UPGRADE! 4 speed all the way!

I love my 4 speed from dratv, been beating on it almost 3 years now

·
Banned
1 Posts
The 4 speed still hasn't got real close gear spacing. A big difference on track days, and stunt shifting with the front up.

If it's a budget thing, just get the 88 kit, filter, jets. A 50 with an 88 kit is a LOT less powerful due to the 70 head having better ports and bigger valves. The 50 bike is enough lighter to make it a close match.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
got ya so 88cc kit,filter and some jets..stock exhaust is ok with that right?...its kinda budget ...kinda not...def not going to spend 300 bucks on a motor..300 bucks is as much as the damn bike is worth lol ... and i hear the tranny is pointless for stunting and all...so anybody got a good parts list for a good price for an 88cc kit and all? ...should i go the used route? ebay? what?

·
Banned
1 Posts
Buy the 88 kit new. TB is hard to beat. PM T-Bolt for free shipping.

Jetting specs on Powroll's site.

Stock pipe gets the job done and is quiet enough to keep riding spots open;)

The $140 you'll be under budget will help with tires, gas, rear fenders...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the help firepower...yeah i already have tires ..gas is no problem and rear fenders..haha im chewin through the stocker like hell..i wish i had the $$$ for a new frame cuz slamming down from high stoppies feels harsh on occasion? ...i want to mount an 03 tank and seat bad..and yeah def. a must to keep the stocker..most people dont even know im outside riding which is a huge plus when u get the urge to ride a 930-10 pm :)

·
Registered
706 Posts
firepower354 said:
The 4 speed still hasn't got real close gear spacing. A big difference on track days, and stunt shifting with the front up.

If it's a budget thing, just get the 88 kit, filter, jets. A 50 with an 88 kit is a LOT less powerful due to the 70 head having better ports and bigger valves. The 50 bike is enough lighter to make it a close match.

Mine has as close of gearing as I'd ever want... Right through every gear quick..

The 1st gear is stock length, 2nd is shortened a lot, 3rd is shortened a good deal, and 4th goes above the stock 3rd

makes for good smooth power throughout IMO, I wouldn't want any gears any shorter that's for sure

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.