PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
10,051 Posts
Kelly,

ALL the cams currently on the market, from JAPAN were designed for road use. In fact, my guess is if you want a cam for more lower end, you'll have to get one custom ground from someone who knows their stuff.

In fact, until the Kitaco SE series parts came out, all the Japanese motor parts were designed years back for 50cc Japanese Street bikes, and were a carryover to the XR/CRF50's. The SE still has a street cam, but do the the design, pulls like a train in the dirt also. However, Kitaco doesn't use roller bearing cams in their top ends, but do sell a roller cam(s) that can be purchased seperately.

If you want some more roll on power, change around your sprokets (Front - smaller, Rear - larger, or a combo of both) but you'll sacrifice top end.

· Registered
1,727 Posts
Is he talking about a more responsive throttle or just more low end?

· Registered
3,869 Posts
Throttle responce would be more related to carb size and flywheel weight. Cam is what affects alot of where you motor makes its power and how much torque ya got.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys.

Right now I'm running a +1 tooth countershaft sprocket, and a un-lightened flywheel with the mods that I previously listed.

I understand that changing my gearing will affect the roll on power and its delivery, but I also do not want to go back to the stock gearing. With the bbk first gear is pretty much useless.

I also know that lightening my flywheel will allow my bike to rev through its powerband quicker, which will definately aid the roll-on response, but I am also looking for something that will give the bike more of a hit down low.

If a cam is not the answer, is there anything else I should do other than resorting to run a stroker kit?

On a side note, I need to rejet my tb 20mm carb, as it's back-firing like a mother 8O I've gone through the different clip positions and didn't get any positive results...I'm sure that after I lean out the main some my bike will run better across the board, but even then I will be in search of more low-mid power.

Kelly

· Registered
3,869 Posts
You could always upgrade to the TB race head. Its what Im running and this sucker makes alot of torque. I have the manual clutch as well which raises the gearing some more even and im also running 15/37 gearing. I can lift the front into a wheelie riding at 1/4 throttle and just rolling on it. In fact when I was running the stock swingarm it was a problem to try to keep the front wheel on the ground.

· Registered
8,911 Posts
HEY KELLY,

A TOURING TYPE CAM WILL BE YOUR BEST BET FOR DIRT APPLICATION KITACO MAKES THEM FOR BOTH TYPES OF HEADS THERE AROUND $ 75.00 BUCKS. YOU MIGHT HAVE THE RACING GRIND CAM IN YOUR HEAD THAT IS DESIGNED FOR MID TO TOP END R.P.M.S......?

AND THAT CROWLER COMPANY MAKES QUAILITY CAMS.

HOPE THIS HELPS MAN............LATER OLDSCHOOL

· Registered
191 Posts
I can make you a cam that will definately pick up more low / mid power. We have a low mid cam for all the heads (tb, se, superhead,) The aftermarket heads available for the xr50 all have large combustion chambers, so it drops the compression ratio. I usually use the stock head with a large port because it has a small combustion chamber. go to www.crowerpower.com to check out our heads and cams.

Mike

CrowerPower.com

· Registered
1,472 Posts
what would really help the low end would be going to a smaller size carb like an 18, i cant think of y it helps but all i know is that a bigger carb is for top end and going smaller would help the low end snap, my buddy has a 88 cylinder with a stock carb and cam and has more torque then anyother 88 with cam and carb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.