PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok lets try and get to the point on this and see if anyone else has doubts about the uflow. I keep hearing the uflow is holding back power and want to know if anyone has sheets or info to prove this. It makes sense to me because its taking longer for the air to get into the carb and its not a direct shot considering it has to weave thru the uflow to get in the carb. I was also informed by a very reputable guy that it could hurt the power very easy , and will post his comments after i see what other people say.

Reactions: BMP Racing

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination but I've heard a little bit about the debate with the U-Flow and I tend to believe BBR. It reminds me a little bit about the air intake on my e30 bimmer project car. There are a lot of people who think putting a straight K&N air filter off the AFM or an aftermarket straighter intake system vs the stock airbox is better because in theory it sounds like it would be. But all of the true experts and strong data prove otherwise and that the stock airbox is actually the best intake system for the car.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had the pancake filter before the uflow and I thought I did loose sum power but after I got the bbr Rev box I had more thorrotle response. Than ever and the power was back and then some....

·
Registered
658 Posts
I would love to hear more also as their was a recent post about a fair amount of people saying they are getting dirt sucked into the carb with the uflow.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im not having any dirt problems ... im just real curious to know about hp numbers with and without. especially when im building 190cc+ engines

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not an engineer by any stretch of the imagination but I've heard a little bit about the debate with the U-Flow and I tend to believe BBR. It reminds me a little bit about the air intake on my e30 bimmer project car. There are a lot of people who think putting a straight K&N air filter off the AFM or an aftermarket straighter intake system vs the stock airbox is better because in theory it sounds like it would be. Put all of the true experts and strong data prove otherwise and that the stock airbox is actually the best intake system for the car.
i dont run anything

·
Registered
322 Posts
My original plan for a mod motor build for the 2013 season was going to have a reversed intake witch from everything Ive been told adds +1 hp. I found a good deal on a U-flow off a user on here and decided to look more into that. Theres a video on youtube from when they released the U-flow. they dyno tested their factory 195 with a regular pod filter and then with the U-flow. The Charts said the U-flow gave you a +.5 hp.

·
Registered
317 Posts
When I first installed my BBR U-flow filter, I noticed right off that midrange pull and top end over-rev was greatly improved over stock. But, off the bottom it was about the same maybe a tad snappier. I could see where the U-flow would decrease power on a stock head/intake for a couple reasons. I like to think of it this way, say you have a large diameter hose going into a smaller diameter hose. Yes, the larger diameter is going to hold more water/consume more, but once it goes into the smaller diameter hose (stock intake) you are still only getting as much as the small diameter will allow. Now say you hook up the large diameter hose to another large hose (big valve head/large carb), now you are getting the full potential of flow thus increasing your consumption. The small hose is the stock head/intake and the large hose is the U-flow. These systems really are meant for race heads/modified ported heads that are able to consume the air that is being fed in by the U-flow. There are so many opinions on the U-flow and Pod Filters. Many of the top teams have ran both and won with both. I guess it boils down to preference, jetting: if its not jetting for optimal performance it will lose some ponies, and what your budget allows. From a snocross point of view, the factory race sleds do not have filters running right off the back of the carbs, they go through the hoods. Many people have said that the computer on the sled does not like the filter being right off the back of the carb. My $.02

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
70 Posts
Another perspective would be like on some automobile engines that have split runner intakes, air is routed to the long runners for more torque, then switch over to the short runners for more hp once the engine hits a certain rpm. I would imagine that the uflow has been tuned and had airflow testing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Iv gotten my uflow mud coverd and have ridden it in snow to where it is wet and have yet sucked dirt or water.... I put waterproof grease along the inside the best i can of the uflow chamber and it works good and it washes out really easy!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Can't wait for the results. I'm building a 194 and haven't decided what route to take as well. Nice thread KlxRacer#2!

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no problem man , i was sitting there pondering in my mind about the whole idea. Bean that would be awesome if you could do that , it was solve all my doubts. I really thought bbr would comment in here ..... Obviously i have nothing against bbr im just trying to find answers and make the most hp i can out of my motor.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Would there be any gains for someone with a 130cc kit and stock carb? Or would an aftermarket 26 mm carb and 130cc kit have a better effect for performance? Or would a pancake suffice?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts