PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone tried the bbr SP-5 Fork Kit? i am thinking of getting a set as i dont really want to spend 1000 on forks and i have just got a five-o swingarm, so these seem a reasonable compromise any comments? and how do they differ from the old bbr forks

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I heard they were pretty flimsy.

This is only second hand info so dont take this into affect, I doubt anyone on here has tried them yet. If anything, someone probably ordered them and they'll be in soon.

Id personally save up for bombshells, they're such a great fork.

·
Registered
538 Posts
They are different from the old forks in the fact that they now have 5" of travel instead of 4", and increased dampening making it stiffer. Id get them.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
matt295 said hes getting them but just the dampening kit to put in his old bbr forks... i think that cool how there selling the dampening kit for the old owns just shows that they don;t wanna rip you off and make you buy all new ones. but they could have put them in in the first place :roll:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Kewl.. I have the old forks and will be getting the dampening kit myself. Logi is right about the bombshells.. they are a good product no doubt. but I have yet to bottom my bbr's ( i only weigh in at about 150).. I don't get much air either.. mostly stay low and try to keep up the momentum. I have the five0 swingarm and frame ... with an i-shock.. you should like the bbr forks.. it all depends on what you are going to be doing to them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just installed the SP-5 dampening rod kit last week and they absolutely make the fork better. The kit extends the travel to 5" and helps to slow the rebound and compression.

Also, I installed 20wt fork oil - 3.5 ounces in each leg per BBR's recommendation and it works perfectly for me. I'm 6 ft / 160 lbs.

I got to race it once last week and it made a huge difference in the handling . Especially in the whoops and those occasions (which I have quite a few of) when you land a little short on the front wheel 8O

Very easy to install too. To anyone who's running the stock BBR's currently, I would say this is a must upgrade. For $90 bucks, it's money well spent.

Ride On,

Rick

·
Registered
217 Posts
sydeshowbob said:
Kewl.. I have the old forks and will be getting the dampening kit myself. Logi is right about the bombshells.. they are a good product no doubt. but I have yet to bottom my bbr's ( i only weigh in at about 150).. I don't get much air either.. mostly stay low and try to keep up the momentum. I have the five0 swingarm and frame ... with an i-shock.. you should like the bbr forks.. it all depends on what you are going to be doing to them.

TYOu must ride on the streets and not brake hard AT ALL. and even the smallest of jumps bottom my BBR forks and I weigh 124 pounds :roll:

Attachments

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't brake at all... and most of my jump landing downhill smooth landings. I hardly ever land on flat surfaces. Just like bmx. Then again.. maybe I ain't going fast enough... hehehe

·
Registered
438 Posts
the orginal bbr xr70 forks were very soft even with HD springs and 20 weight oil. We did this and over filled slightly just to make thenm a little bit more useable. But if you got on the breaks, or hit a big jump you wer ein for a suprise. The SP-5 set up really takes the softness and the wallow effect. Like a pogo but in a slow soft motion... away.....

They make the forks very usable now. It was great they made the forks usable. I stocked up on these add-on kits they have been a big hit.

I even switched over to a set of thes eon one of my bikes i ride as they work better for certain kind sof riding then my sanos.

I reccomend these to everyone with XR70 forks.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
My 50 is all stock right now but I am planning many mods after christmas. I saw these and decided it would be much better than just stiffer springs for my stock forks. I already know that stock 70 forks will fit but I just need to find a set. Anybody know where I can get them or have a set for sale, Ive already been watching ebay but figured I would ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.