PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,
I know there will be many to tell me how to run an advanced search... Done that... All of the threads are seriously archaic. I've had this old 83 xr80 project bike for a long, long time now and I'm looking to build it into something cool to buzz around the airport on. First off, its not turning over (frozen or seized) I'm interested in learning about which way to go for more than stock power, I'm currently reading through a pile of old threads on the subject, what I'm hoping to learn from this thread is, what is the most up to date simplest way to mod this for power as I've never worked on one of these little thumpers? I'm 6'1" and 240, what else should I think about to make this a less cramping experience? Would you guys mind listing out your preferred mods in order with links and prices?
Regards,
Guy Zindel
Liberty Ut

·
Registered
484 Posts
Depends if you want to keep the 80 engine or drop a 100 engine in and what your budget is?
You could bore out the 80 jug and find a cb400 piston and go up to 95cc and drop a performance cam in.

100 engine bolts right in and gives more performance options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Friends,
I know there will be many to tell me how to run an advanced search... Done that... All of the threads are seriously archaic. I've had this old 83 xr80 project bike for a long, long time now and I'm looking to build it into something cool to buzz around the airport on. First off, its not turning over (frozen or seized) I'm interested in learning about which way to go for more than stock power, I'm currently reading through a pile of old threads on the subject, what I'm hoping to learn from this thread is, what is the most up to date simplest way to mod this for power as I've never worked on one of these little thumpers? I'm 6'1" and 240, what else should I think about to make this a less cramping experience? Would you guys mind listing out your preferred mods in order with links and prices?
Regards,
Guy Zindel
Liberty Ut

·
Registered
484 Posts
Absolutely

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm now that really queers the deal. I'm thinking it might be a bundle of laughs on the trails around here ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m building one with a cb400f piston right now. Just and piston are going to the machine shop next week.

Fast50s also makes a 92cc kit, but they aren’t available right now. Currently waiting on rings.

Most seem to go the 100 route for more performance options as stated above. With some searching I think you could put a 100 engine in it for about the same price as building a aftermarket big bore 80, but that’s assuming the 100 engine is in good shape.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s starting to look that way.. Looks like I can get it to 130 cc bolt on. How nuts can I go with the 100?

·
Registered
36 Posts
130cc bolt on for the 80? Who makes that? The re are several companies who make kits for the 100. Engines only, t bolt, bbr

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What is the year range of xr 80's and 100's that are compatible with the 83? Is there a list?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts