PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just wanting some advice

i have a friend building a high hp motor for his hard tail just wondering whats the biggest hp motor while still using a auto clutch

he is trying to build a takegawa 124 and trying to run a auto clutch

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He got the crank balanced and is ment to make power from 5000 rpm to 12500 rpm he is also putting a s35d cam

What's the biggest honda 50 motor that runs a auto clutch without and slipping problems

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
firepower354 said:
We run a 106 +R motor with a Horstman, and it flies.

I was under the impression that you can't get the horstman clutch anymore

Would the heavy duty takegawa clutch hold upto a big hp 124cc takegawa with a s35d cam

I've seen the tb billet clutch start to slip in a 117 kit at high rpm's

·
Banned
1 Posts
The billet basket is just for explosion resistance, but really won't add clamping force. The up-side is, his bike's light and a hard tail is tough to apply much of the power to the ground any way:) That big cam won't be as much fun in a roll-on, as a more moderate one would.

·
Registered
7,611 Posts
firepower354 said:
The billet basket is just for explosion resistance, but really won't add clamping force. The up-side is, his bike's light and a hard tail is tough to apply much of the power to the ground any way:) That big cam won't be as much fun in a roll-on, as a more moderate one would.

depends on whose phat arse is sitting on the hard tail..lol

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
doopsx3 said:
depends on whose phat arse is sitting on the hard tail..lol

Doops is right; my hardtail hooks up just fine on nearly any surface. Weight distribution is pretty rearward-biased with me on it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
You'd definitely want to go with a billet clutch basket. But even with that, a Takky 124 will probably make short work of it. My 108 slipped at high rpms (I weigh 170lbs), hence my reason for switching to a super clutch. No more slipping, but then again, also no more convenience of an auto clutch.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah this guy rides his bikes hard and he isnt very heavy

so noone has done a 124 with a auto clutch without slipping problems

·
Registered
569 Posts
use a Trx90 Gearbox mounted semi automatic assembly :slomo:

it is similar to a takegawa superclutch basket / cd90

bar it uses semi auto, instead of hand operation ,has 4 plates instead of 5

IMO is one of the Strongest semi auto clutch setup around,

the main issue is having custom parts made,,,, crank adapter/drive gear ,,,oil way etc.

A trx90 uses 2 clutch's the same as a klx110

Regular secondary and a Primary crank mounted centifugal (Very heavy!!)

i had locally re-engineered a takegawa superclutch crank drive gear (18t) with the amount of teeth of the regular honda 50 ,trx90 ,nice110 (17t)

to match the trx90 basket gear (69t)

then used tak's crank nut with seal,

and had a cylindrical steel piece (oil way) made which fits tight in the clutch cover with an o-ring and meets the crank seal

this eliminated the crank mounted clutch and left just the secondary,

the method of pulling off is to slip the clutch using the gearpeg :D

as most know the trx90 is pull start, though the clutch casing has provision to be drilled out and a regular kick start seal put in place

this method is both time consuming and expensive but the end result is well worth it :cool:

·
Registered
92 Posts
gav said:
yeah this guy rides his bikes hard and he isnt very heavy

so noone has done a 124 with a auto clutch without slipping problems

I have heard of some running 124's with auto Takky clutches with clutch slip in a race situation.

The Takky auto clutch is much more smoother than the TB one but like the TB one, it is recommended you put billet housing on it for extra strength so it doesn't shatter. I saw this happen in a 124.

Personally, the issue I have with both clutches is the springs.

Neither clutches have held up in my TB 117 dax from day one, no matter what oil I use or how I ride it or how I gear it. It is very frustrating.

Maybe in a Zed 50 being lighter, you might have better luck with this but from my experience so far, any motor putting out more than 12 HP at the rear wheel, will eat the auto clutch....especially in my Dax.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts