PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a problem. I have the 4.8 Shredder/Snowhog tires on my 72 Z50....It also has the stock front & rear gearing. Problem is I can't get a chain to fit. What length chain and sprocket combo are people running to get their's to fit? With the stock 76L chain and the wheel pulled back so far you can barely turn it by hand the tire is right on the swingarm pivot....so I ordered another chain, a 78, and it's WAY too long.....so how do I get these too work??? (it worked ok on the stock chain that was on the bike, it was original and stretched pretty bad and worn out, but I can't seem to find a proper replacement)

·
Administrator
10,667 Posts
I hardly think that 2 links is going to make the chain way too long for you to use it. The Sno-Hawgs will hit the swingarm when the wheel is pushed all the way forward. The secret is to situate the wheel so it is just barely away from the swingarm, make sure it's straight and true in place, tighten the rear axle up, and then take a new chain (120 links), apply it and overlap, make the cut, and hook up the master link. Because of the larger diameter of the tires, you lose some adjustment for the chain.

You should always buy a longer chain than what the stock setting calls for, if someone has changed the sprockets to different sizes, it may leave you short-chained...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I stated, the sprockets are oem, they haven't been changed. (I looked it up to be certain) With the 76 link chain (stock size) I have it so tight the wheel won't even free wheel and it's still right up against the swingarm, I cannot adjust it back any further. So I picked up a 78, figuring it would be just enough, and it takes it all the way to the end of the adjusters and the chain has prob. 2" of free play, it's the weirdest thing I've seen, that's what I can't figure out. I even counted the links to be sure I got the correct one in the box....The first time I played with one of these bikes was around 1983-1984, so it's not like i'm new to this....

·
Registered
37 Posts
If your new chain is too long, just take out the right number of links (always error on the long side) and you're done. If you lay the two chains out end to end, I'm guessing the new one is a lot more than 2 links longer than the old one.

·
Administrator
10,667 Posts
And, as I stated, 2 more links will NOT make your chain more than 6 inches longer than the stock size. As zMan said, the newer chain has to be way longer than the original 76 link chain, even if it is stretched out.

The only other thing I can think of is the original chain may be much shorter than the 76 links you think it is...

·
Registered
309 Posts
If the chains are the exact link # you say and you cant figure it out then just cut 2 links out of the new 78 link chain and buy a half link. This will make your chain 77 links long and shpuld be just the right length. and as soon as it stretches out a little you can take the half link and another link out.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I had the same problem. The front of the rear wheel hits the swingarm crossbrace so you have to run your tensioners all the way back to get the clearance you need. Then when your chain stretches you have no adjustments left.

It is weird. The stock length chain is to short but if you get one that's 2 links longer (it has to be 2 links so the master link can connect the chain) then it's to long! You can see my chain hanging off the rear sprocket in this pick. I was trying to figure out WTF to do. :)

Here's what I did. Super easy fix and works great. Someone here did it before me. I stole their idea. :)

Use your 78 link chain. Adjust the tensioners as far back as they'll go. Bolt a hard skateboard wheel to the frame to take up the slack. You don't even need a slotted hole, just a single hole. Replace the wheel as it wears (or make a slotted hole and adjust the wheel up as the chain stretches). Mine's lasted very well so far. It would be great to devise a spring loaded system using a skateboard wheel.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
these came off ebay. They're 4.80 x 8 and are made by craftsman for snowblowers.

I wouldn't recommend them. They are dangerous when cornering because they're basically flat across the tread. Riding on tar is scary!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.