PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 72 Z50 Might actually be done this year,,,lol. I'm wanting to take it camping with me. But I have a shell on the back of my truck that I'm supposed to be turning into a full blown camper/sleeper space. So I won't be able to put the mini in there.

I did just score a nice aluminum cargo carrier for cheap. Just trying to figure where to use it.

I would really like to put it on the front of my truck. But I'm worried about restricting air flow, and tearing up the mini's new paint. I have a brush guard on the truck that I would like to keep there. I think I could mod the guard just by adding a receiver tube across it. Either replacing the lower cross tube, or putting it just above it. Or if I had to I could add a front receiver, but that's more money.

If I can't make that work that leaves the back receiver. But then It will block access to the bed. Unless I get one of the high dollar swing away things and mount my carrier to that. But I'm not wanting to spend that kind of cash.

I found a pic on the forum here with a guy doing what I want to do. Same style carrier. But his is on the back.

So you guys got any ideas. Pics wold be great. Especially if it's on the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Bugs and chipped paint would keep me from doing the front carrier. The hitch carriers made specifically for motorcycles (the kind with a channel for the wheels) work great except for a little wobbling. You can use straps on the ends of the rack going to the back of the truck to stop the wobble. I took a Honda cb175 from Denver to Dallas on one, we drove as much as 90MPH, and there was even a 12" extension on the carrier so the pick-up bed could be left down. No problems.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
We strapped ours to the roof of the gambler. Front tire on the roof strapped to the rack, rear tire sitting on highlift jack, also strapped to jack, jack bolted thru trunk.
That is awesome! Do you have more about the Gambler online?

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is awesome! Do you have more about the Gambler online?
It originally started in Oregon and kinda took off from there. It started as a cheap car rally, 500 miles in a +/- $500 car while cleaning up along the way. The more impractical the better, Fun over rules, Don't be a dick. That's about it ?
There's a lot of Facebook groups hosting local GB500 rallies all over the world

1 - 7 of 7 Posts