PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up some 450ex hubs (4/110), 2" spacers and new 8x8 rims. Wondering if anyone has tried 8x8 rims on there atc70 and what tires they used? Also if anyone has any pictures? Or should i go with 8x6?

· Registered
274 Posts
Well, I have tried a lot of tires and wheels and overall I find the 8 x 8 wheel just a little too wide for any tire that fits on an ATC 70, and I have tried it with multiple 18 x 9.5 - 8 sized tires.

The 8 x 8 always stretches the tires out to where your outer rim lip is vulnerable to damage and it makes the ride much worse as the tire sidewall is pulled out so much it can't flex properly absorbing bumps. This is critical on a high powered rigid frame 70 when going over 50 mph like mine do.

I had the exact same 2 ply tires on a set of 8 x 8 and 8 x 7 Douglas Wheels then rode them side by side the same day with a friend switching between my two ATC 70s. Both of us immediately commented on how much more harsh the ride was on the trike with the 8 x 8 wheels when we rode that 70.

I have tons of photos of tire and wheel combinations but in the end I recommend a 4/110, 8 x 7, 3+4 off-set from Spangler's with an 18 " tire for best flotation, grip and ride comfort.

Click on the photos twice for full sized images......

8 x 7 left and 8 x 8 right

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Alloy wheel

Land vehicle Tire Alloy wheel Motor vehicle Rim

8 x 8

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Rim

Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Tire Synthetic rubber Automotive tire Wheel Rim

Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Car

Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle All-terrain vehicle Automotive tire

8 x 7 left 8 x 8 right

Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

· Registered
274 Posts
Here are the setups I run today both with Douglas 8 x 7 race cut wheels which is plenty wide for a 70.

Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Off-roading All-terrain vehicle

Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Automotive tire Tire

Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Car Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Car Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Braaaap!

· Registered
274 Posts
Worst tires and wheels ever! Crappy Holshot tires and cheap ebay 8" Boss wheels. Came on a trike I purchased and sold them after only one test ride. Don't buy either!

Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Automotive tire

· Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info! Thank you for the reply and photos. I ordered a set of the Duro tires last night after seeing your thread on 3wheeler.

For now my plan is to keep it 70cc as my boy is turning 4 and anymore power will just get him hurt..sooner.. What size tire are you running on the front and how are you mounting a 4/110 rim on the front?

· Registered
98 Posts
I have a soft spot for that 350X. My buddy had one in junior high. Neither of us were big enough to start it consistently and I still have a knot on my shin from the kickstarter kicking back. That thing was a wheely beast. We'd carry a rope while riding and I'd pull start it with his ATC90. As unsafe as it was sending little kids out on three wheelers, I believe the 90 was way more dangerous than the 350. The 90 would try to flip you over in every turn. The 350 just required a stab of the throttle and you were power sliding like a pro.

· Registered
274 Posts
Typically I run a 18 x 7 - 8 Maxxas for the front. The red 70 above with the 350x had a Duro 18 x 7 -7 and a 7" Xowner front wheel. Have run an 18 x 7 -7 Duro Thrasher front tire that rode fantastic as it is a 2 ply radial tire. I have one brand new one if you are interested.

For front hubs I am running the Spangler's billed 4 bolt hubs and aluminum axle spacers to save weight.

Product Tool accessory Auto part Steel Rim

Tire Alloy wheel Automotive tire Wheel Auto part

Maxxis 18" front and rear tires.... personal favorites

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Rim Synthetic rubber

Duro 18" tires on orange trike.

Vehicle Motorsport Racing Motorcycle helmet Automotive wheel system

Maxxis vs Duro

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Rim

Tire Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Auto part Wheel

Land vehicle All-terrain vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

Attachments

Reactions: Quinc

· Registered
274 Posts
Thank you for all the info! Next question is what is the trick to un mounting and mounting tires?! :)
Take them to your local atv dealer and let them do their magic with the tire machine ....... seriously.

I have some of the best tire levers that make manual tire installation possible with some soap and water. But it can take 2 people and a few hours to complete. However removing tires and getting the bead to unseat can be extremely to impossible even using special Motion Pro set of bead breaker bars. Much rather watch the shop guy pop everything on and off in 10 mins using their machine and I'm back on my way. Less tire and wheel damage too.

· Registered
274 Posts
SS LS1, have you had any issues with the axles bending running the wider/larger wheels? I want to ride up on two wheels but worried the extra leverage is going to cause issues.
Sorry for the late reply..... no I have not had a single problem with bending anything from axles to hubs or wheels hitting bumps or riding on two wheels. I ride the snot out of my 70's from sand paddle shock loads to hard core ditch riding and still not a single problem. Plus I'm a big guy at 6' 4" 250 lbs so no featherweight rider either.

· Registered
1 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Typically I run a 18 x 7 - 8 Maxxas for the front. The red 70 above with the 350x had a Duro 18 x 7 -7 and a 7" Xowner front wheel. Have run an 18 x 7 -7 Duro Thrasher front tire that rode fantastic as it is a 2 ply radial tire. I have one brand new one if you are interested.

For front hubs I am running the Spangler's billed 4 bolt hubs and aluminum axle spacers to save weight.

View attachment 228882

View attachment 228890

Maxxis 18" front and rear tires.... personal favorites

View attachment 228898

View attachment 228906

Duro 18" tires on orange trike.

View attachment 228946

Maxxis vs Duro

View attachment 228922

View attachment 228930

View attachment 228938
Do you like the zippers or the paddles better for Silver Lake? Im trying to get mine ready for Memorial Day Weekend.
Here are the setups I run today both with Douglas 8 x 7 race cut wheels which is plenty wide for a 70.

View attachment 228801

View attachment 228809

View attachment 228817

View attachment 228825

View attachment 228833

View attachment 228841

Braaaap!

View attachment 228849

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.