PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys. i was planning on trading my bike, but the guy backed out, so now im going to start modding it. this week i am hopefully going to pick up a set of ktm 65 forks, but it depends what they look like in person. after that, i need to step up my rear end, what should i get?

has anyone here had any exsperience with the brand x rear end, is it decent?

what about a kx65 rear end, do you guys just use a kx65 rear shock, or will that be just as bad as my 110's shock? what do i need to go about fabbing to get the 65 rear to work, cutting the frame, or making spacer? and how will i know where to relocate the shock mount? could i just buy big swinger style adapter for it, like brand x and the style that staggs uses for fiddies, that mounts into the old mount, but has a new mount for a mono shock?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
find out what u gotta do for kx 65 rear... if i could get a hold of all of the materials i would be doing that.. its so original and not many have it cuz they dont wanna deal with the work.. they just wanna bolt on and go.. ( like me ) but go with 65 rear

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Stay away from it. As far away as you can.... We got one to test and sent it back because it wouldn't even mount up to the bike. Alot of corners cut to be able to sell it that cheap.

Eric

SPM-Racing

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks alot, im trying to find a local 65 rear end. im gueesing instead of going to mess with the linkage, ill just cut some tabs and mount them on the swinger and drop the shock mount?do you guys think this will work, is a 60 swingarm even possible, or should i stick to the 65 swingarm?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I did the KX65 rear swingarm on mine but it is alot of work. It turned out great but I have some fabricating experience. I don't believe that this is a modification that should be attempted my just anyone with a grinder and a welder. Remember that talking about it is one thing but actually building one to a standard high enough that you feel confident it won't fail is another. If a shock mount were to break under the seat, guess where it will end up. Just something to think about. I would suggest having a certified welder involved in the project from the start.

Just my .02 . Good luck with your decision,

Dan

·
Registered
111 Posts
I installed the brand x minis kit on 2kawiracers bike & had no problems @ all.It took about 2 hours,the only problem was i had to file down the top shock mt bracket that is provided in the kit.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, thanks alot guys. w650, what did you have to do to the frame to get it to fit? just wondering. im not worried about the welding, my buddy has tons of exsperience and should be fine, i can weld aswell. and i see that you just dumped the linkage, would you reccommend just forgetting about it?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well, there is not enough room for linkage. My swinger is extended 3-1/2" from stock, but I still had to remove 2+ inches from the stock length to get to that point. No frame mods were done, everything was done to the swinger in order to fit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
we had no trouble mounting the rear swinger and it works great don't knock it till you rode it i am about 260lbs and i have a blast with it and also bought the triple clamps for the 65 front end those are really trick also

·
Registered
562 Posts
I mean I really dont have that many photos of the bike in action because I am the one that is normally spending most of the time on it. We have rode this setup and tested it over a year now to be sure that its worth every penny. I have a few photos of it in action that I had a rider on the bike and I snapped a few photos of him.

Its as much of a bolt on as it can be and have no idea how its not a bolt on application. We didnt have the shock bracket milled correctly at the time that 5nine8 had the setup but that was one of the first kits and didnt know it had to go about 1 more MM.

Gotta love the internet and people you always try to help out end up bashing on you

With the 65 front end setup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.