PlanetMinis Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I feel this combo would yield some fantastic results! Reach deep into your pockets tho..

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The rears, yes!! Baller option. I would spend buckets on non-dampened (pogo stick) fronts. 8” wheels need all the help they can get to stay in contact with the pavement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I've shoe horned a 170 into my Cub and I felt that was a bit silly... heck, my 108 stroker is about to go in my Baja and I'm worried about it. You're a mad man. How are you geared and what speeds are you seeing?

Might be time for me to finally move on that disc brake conversion...
I'd really love to try it in a cub Id think that would be a great laugh!

I'm running 19 front 25 rear but have only had 70mph, which is a bit disappointing as I squeezed 75-77 out of a lightly modified yx140 but my carb is running pretty rich atm and haven't done much jetting yet, or a lot of riding all together with the weather and lockdown here

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeah, with a motor that large, and the potential speeds one may hit, stability, handling, braking will be paramount!!

I STRONGLY recommend looking into some decent suspension. Proper dampened rear shocks are easy to find, cheap, and must. The fronts are a little trickier as you already have the disks. I wanted to keep the stock look on my street Z so I sprung (pun intended) for a set of Daytona inner forks. They are dampened and fit inside the stock forks. Really wonderful bit of kit and make riding at speeds above 50mph...wow, I almost said safe...much more manageable.

Haha you are absolutely right the suspension is really bad with no dampening front or rear, and I really would love to get some small stock looking rear shocks just like my current ones which have a have decent damper but they all seem pretty pricey and all the cheaper shocks seem huge in width and size. That said though the rear shocks don't feel like a problem at high speed but the forks start reverberating along the road like crazy on some rougher roads at 60+mph which is pretty hairy

I would really love a set of the Daytona forks but again i can't justify the price for how little I ride the bike, I did have a real good think and look at the Daytona forks at one point and did find some very small damper cartridges which I think could be made to fit inside my current legs just like the Daytona forks with a bit of modification. I may have to give it a try at some point!

Has anyone tried the simple old damper on the outside of the fork legs? I would be tempted to go that route if it works well

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I feel this combo would yield some fantastic results! Reach deep into your pockets tho..

Ahhhhh god that would look so good and ride so much better! those two are nearly the total I spent on the whole bike though hahaha

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
The rears, yes!! Baller option. I wouldnt spend buckets on non-dampened (pogo stick) fronts. 8” wheels need all the help they can get to stay in contact with the pavement.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
There is now a cheaper option for inner fork on we bike but no idea their quality. The Daytona’s are really great though. I went with the race version...wish I could have tried both first as I often wonder how the street versions feel like.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
There is now a cheaper option for inner fork on we bike but no idea their quality. The Daytona’s are really great though. I went with the race version...wish I could have tried both first as I often wonder how the street versions feel like.

Either way I bet they are miles better than stock!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Little update as the bikes back on the road..

gave a little clean up and did a compression test and found it was sitting low at 150psi (felt good on kickstart) and upon inspection the barrel was pretty badly worn so replaced barrel with new piston as well and Instantly bumped up to 195psi, also did some mild porting to the head whilst it was off but didn't delete the valve guides this time but the ports really deserved some work as they are far from optimum with burrs, overhangs and square edge on the floor, also removed the thick base gasket again.

The last time I rode this bike it barely squeezed 67mph with this same 19t front 23t rear gearing but now it pulled all the way to 79mph on my last test ride, I need to test again on a longer road!

Also fixed the insane fork vibration by finding some much better fitting top fork brass bushes on the legs, feels brand new now other than obviously still no dampening but a still world of difference now!

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Hood
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Bicycle Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Motor vehicle Sky
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fender Gas Rim
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

·
Premium Member
1970 CT70, 2019 Super Cub 125, and five or six other basket cases
213 Posts
Ooooooo. I like this! Something to be said about stock length swingarms on modded bikes. It’s just a neat look. Nice work.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Ooooooo. I like this! Something to be said about stock length swingarms on modded bikes. It’s just a neat look. Nice work.
Haha cheers buddy i really love the stock swingarm/forks look myself, I think if you throw a set of Duros and rims on any stock 50 it looks awesome !

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Your gearing is insanely different than mine but I should have noticed something was wrong when your 170 was only hitting 67 and my 108 stroker does 60.

Glad you got it figured out, it's a little sketchy for me at 60, couldn't image high 70s.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Fatcaaat put a damper on the outside of a CT70 front and said it worked VERY well.
I was looking for some small dampers which could be modded inbetween the fork leg springs like the Daytona fork kit but the only damper I could find to fit was a one way damper so would only have compression and no rebound dampening so no good, I'm definitely going to try the damper on the outside of the forks now though

Your gearing is insanely different than mine but I should have noticed something was wrong when your 170 was only hitting 67 and my 108 stroker does 60.

Glad you got it figured out, it's a little sketchy for me at 60, couldn't image high 70s.
Yeah when my older yx140 still managed 73 mph consistently I knew something was up with this one, but even still the 170 doesn't seem to offer much more, the yx140 really was a great all round engine for the price.

It's not often I ride the bike flat out but the bike feels surprisingly stable considering its size, the taller speed and gearing also makes it much nicer when cruising at 55-60 to keep the rpm down

A clip from my insta of the last top speed test
http://instagr.am/p/CTP6X6GHunV/

41 - 55 of 55 Posts