PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up another road legal clone locally for 400, and then shortly after found a complete yx170/superhead engine with exhaust/wiring/kick/shifter/carb etc for only 250 secondhand and thought I'd build something silly!

How she looked when I got her! Ugly!

Picked up a rear fender, and chucked on an old black pair of forks I had (will be converting to disc brake front soon)

Second hand yx170 with superhead.

Dropped in nicely, I was worried about front wheel clearance but no problem at all! Also threw on the 120/70 Duros, still waiting on some aluminium wider rims, went with 3.00 front and 3.5 rear.

Smaller bars and seat wrapped in some scrap faux suede.

Tank painted white, only a quick 2k rattle can job, good enough for me.

How she sits atm.

Still need some other bits, smaller rear sprocket for sure, currently 19/28t.

Also can't decide wether to go with z50r decals or the baja monkey decals!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Weird, I just picked up a 170 with a super head too for my build. Didn't get as good as a deal as you did tho.

I'm with Niels, on that one. Any chance you can add me as a beneficiary on your life insurance? You're going to be way more comfortable and happy with a longer swinger. Just pick up an XR80/XR75 one!

Also, Duro's are great, I really liked mine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Weird, I just picked up a 170 with a super head too for my build. Didn't get as good as a deal as you did tho.

I'm with Niels, on that one. Any chance you can add me as a beneficiary on your life insurance? You're going to be way more comfortable and happy with a longer swinger. Just pick up an XR80/XR75 one!

Also, Duro's are great, I really liked mine.
That is weird! What bikes it going in?

Believe me I did think about a longer swingarm but after riding it's really not as bad as I thought! The taller gearing helps keep the front end down, if I did extend it would only be a +1

I think my electric pit bike conversion also makes this bike feel not as wild as I'd imagined 😂😂 that thing lifts the front like no tomorrow

The Duros are great! A little more expensive but I like them a lot!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Fitted the alloy rims, nothing crazy only 3.0 front 3.5 rear, slapped on some old honda stickers and took for a quick spin.

Thinking of lowering the forks a touch 10-20mm and wondering the best way to go about it? Is it possible to simply cut the coils or better off chopping and re drilling the chromed fork legs?

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Daytona makes shorter legs too. (with dampened inserts)
Congrats on 2000 posts!

dampened inserts would be so nice! but more than im willing to spend haha

Does anyone know if the regular lower forks kits are shortened via the chrom stanchions or by the spring length?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the rims fitted, nothing crazy just 3.5 rear and 3.0 front, also got a new rear sprocket, lowest I could get is 25t. Slapped on some temporary honda stickers.

Took her for a quick test ride and top speed is at exactly 70mph on gps, I expected more seeing as my last bike had the same gear ratio yet managed 77mph on flat ground with a yx140, I can only think the carb on this 170 is restricting the top end a bit.

IMG_20201014_124352.jpg
IMG_20201014_154502.jpg
IMG_20201018_101525.jpg
IMG_20201015_125330-05.jpeg

·
Registered
980 Posts
What carb are you running? I'm going to be following this closely, as I mentioned I picked up a 170 recently as well. Idk if I'm gonna throw a 25T on my Cub but I like your style.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If cutting the fork legs to lower, just be sure to redrill the hole that the split pin goes in that holds the spring to it in the right location. I got a pair of legs off a 197? Z and the hole was 90° different.

And here is my dirt beater with a +1.5” swingarm. Every little bit helps if you plan on higher cruising speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Too too fast for me, but I dig it!!!! Bike looks great.
thanks buddy!

What carb are you running? I'm going to be following this closely, as I mentioned I picked up a 170 recently as well. Idk if I'm gonna throw a 25T on my Cub but I like your style.
haha 25t on a cub! im not sure what the carb is or what size, id imagine a 26mm, the inlet valve on these engines is 28.5mm i think so unsure whether to go with a 28mm or 30mm (i was running 28mm on my last yx140)

If cutting the fork legs to lower, just be sure to redrill the hole that the split pin goes in that holds the spring to it in the right location. I got a pair of legs off a 197? Z and the hole was 90° different.

And here is my dirt beater with a +1.5” swingarm. Every little bit helps if you plan on higher cruising speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the headsup! I did notice that the split pin holes aren't even drilled directly through the tube, they're slightly offset too, chinese I guess!

That bike looks awesome! perfect geometry! If I do extend the swingarm I think I'd only go +1 but that 1.5 with the wheel slammed would be spot on!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts