PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right.

I have a close friend of mine designing one right now. He does CNC machining for a living and designs a lot of things for industrial use. He definitely knows what he is doing.

At this point I don't plan on selling them. You can email me at: yeadoodeyerokATaolDOTcom.

But, I wanted some input on what you guys would change on the stock frame.

So far I have told him:

-Make it 1 inch longer

-Cradle made into the frame

-Make it much lighter than the stock frame

-Chain roller mounting spot

And these are things I am questionable about suggesting:

-Changing the rake (just not sure how drastic of a change)

-Detachable subframe

-Mono swingarm mount or leave standard mount so it can run A-Style as well?

What grade aluminum should we use for it as well? He is doing the designing of it, and there is another guy doing the initial fabrication work to it. So they are teaming up on this project by what they specialize in.

Should be pretty sick though, and super light weight. Let me know what you guys think, all input is appreciated. :)

We are shooting for a finish date on the first frame by mid February.

ATTENTION!

(Mods if I am doing something wrong, please don't lock my thread or erase everything, please notify me of what I need to change. This is a serious topic, I am not trying to sell my products here. Thanks.)

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Hm well what forks will he be running?

Detachable subframe for sure.

Make a stock mount for a-style but have bolt in plates for a mx swinger.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
357 Racing said:
Hm well what forks will he be running?

Detachable subframe for sure.

Make a stock mount for a-style but have bolt in plates for a mx swinger.

Well you can run whatever forks you want. Same as the KLX style, just a matter of swapping out bearing races. I want to make this A-style friendly as well. I know not everyone wants a mono setup, so I will get similar copies of my Reeg MX swingarm adapter made, but change a few things to that as well.

As for the detachable subframe, the only reason I EVER take mine off is for shipping lol not sure why they even make a detachable subframe. Serves no purpose.

chasetheface123 said:
sounds sick!

not that i know anything about alluminium but should you use 6061?

yeah, that's what I was thinking. wasn't for sure though.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
What would you do if you total smashed in your sub frame? Replace it of course. I think that's one of the main reasons for it to be removable.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
mannn man man.. should of kept it secret. and then just came out with it

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
why dont you get some swingarms made also!?!?!?!? like reeg copies? and if you got a crf 70 frame i would pick one up fer sure if i had the cash!

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
five21racing said:
What would you do if you total smashed in your sub frame? Replace it of course. I think that's one of the main reasons for it to be removable.

Good idea, but no sense in making a KLX frame detachable subframe because you barely see the subframe, and I doubt there's anyway for it to be broken off lol

Unless I make it go all the way to the fender. What do you guys think about that?

TLDRIDER120 said:
mannn man man.. should of kept it secret. and then just came out with it

Haha, well I needed some input on what I should change. No worries, no pictures will be released until it's completed.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
chasetheface123 said:
why dont you get some swingarms made also!?!?!?!? like reeg copies? and if you got a crf 70 frame i would pick one up fer sure if i had the cash!

There's too many companies with sick ass swingarms already. Not much more you can do that hasn't been thought of.

There's only BBR's outrageously priced perimeter frame as a substitute for the stock frame right now.

Catch my drift?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SUZUKIRM12594 said:
Make that perimeter...Not like bbr style but yamaha style.

Pointless lol

The design of the KLX frame is good as it is, it just needs a cradle.

IMO, perimeter is simply a bling factor. I had one so I can voice my opinion on it. Yeah it was cool looking, and change the riding style, but all in all, I liked my Reeg setup 3,000 times better.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
stunt-ur said:
There's too many companies with sick ass swingarms already. Not much more you can do that hasn't been thought of.

There's only BBR's outrageously priced perimeter frame as a substitute for the stock frame right now.

Catch my drift?

no just make 0ne thats like 500 bucks

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
stunt-ur said:
Pointless lol

The design of the KLX frame is good as it is, it just needs a cradle.

IMO, perimeter is simply a bling factor. I had one so I can voice my opinion on it. Yeah it was cool looking, and change the riding style, but all in all, I liked my Reeg setup 3,000 times better.
Ehhh...I find that perimeters are easier to ride through the rough stuff so I have something to hook my feet to, the frame...It doesnt have to be full on perimeter...Maybe something simple like what Pitsters done to their LXR. The stock KLX setup just allows my boots to slide around up against my plastic side panels. And hey, since your doin a one of a kind frame, may as well add some bling to it.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SUZUKIRM12594 said:
Ehhh...I find that perimeters are easier to ride through the rough stuff cus I have something to hook up my feet to, the frame...It doesnt have to be full on perimeter...Maybe something simple like what Pitsters done to their LXR. The stock KLX setup allows my boots to slide around up against my plastic side panels. And hey, sinc your doin a one of a kind frame, may as well add some bling to it.

I like the style of the stock frame like I said. I am real loose with my feet so I have no need to grip it against the frame. But everyone has their own riding style I understand.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts