PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm on a roll asking questions... Here goes another :wink:

I'm condersing trying a aftermarkt swingarem (2" longer) instead of shelling out $1,700.00 (that I don't have :cry: ) for a Superpro frame. I currently have an I-Shock w/res on the stock frame. I will have a aftermarket fork before I get a swingarm.

I quess my questions are:

1.) Does the longer arm make the rear suspension work any different (more plush, harsher, more travel, etc.)?

2.) Does the longer wheel base affect the straight line stability and or handling very much?

Thanks again,

Cory

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
The new sano swingarm is 2'' longer. Any swingarm, which is longer, will have more leverage, causing the shock to be softer.

The only effect it has on straight line stability is the fact it goes straighter because the longer wheel base. So your not as squierrly.

The 2'' is a good medium, so your corner radius is still short so you can rail corners, while some swingarms are 3'' longer, it may make it a little longer. Probably not much noticeable, but...Its still there. Also, it LOOKS COOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hey my pro rider purchased a Lahaya set up that includes the shock for his bike and he sais it works awsome he has much quiker lap times and it handles the whoop sections better than anything on the market we have tryed .it is 3 inches over stock and makes your bike look pro plus my rider hits the table top finish line at Perris (53 foot) and clears it and the rear end just soaks it up . Josh at Lahaya is a way cool guy and his product performs check it out trust me you won't be sorry

PS. it includes a Ishock that is resprung and has new vavleing

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
We have tryed everything out there and I mean everything. the LaHaya set up works great and is a little less exspensive than the Reeg . I think the Reeg set up is sweet but I preferr the Ishock over the Paoli shock which is a rebound nightmare even BBR doesn't use it anymore on there pro frame

Good luck

·
Registered
938 Posts
so the reeg has a bad shock? have you tried the reeg kit? how is it compared to the lahaye kit? have you had any problems with the lahaye kit? sorry for all questions, theres just so many options out there, i want to make a good choice. thanks :)

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
the reeg kit is sweet except and the swing arm is much nicer than the Lahaya .the reeg is aluminum and the Lahaya is chromemoly .but that paioli shock sucks it bounces around like pogo stick I guess if you could get the new shock that BBR is using ( they use a Elka ) it would work better. I have not ridden a bike with this new shock but have been told it is much better . now back to the Lahaya I did have one problem installing it when we drilled holes to mount the shock mount they ended up being too hard to get the bolts threw I called Josh and he said normally it is a snap but I'am no super mechanic so I broke out the welder and welded it on but will have to cut it off to remove my shock since without removing the bracket you can not get to the upper shock bolt .but I must say the Ishock works awsome it has great travel much more than the reeg set up and heck that is what I wanted anyways . so I guess there are pro's and cons with everything . I guess my question is what kind of riding do you do and what kind of bucks you looking to spend?

PS. before you buy anything hit the local track to see if anybody has these set ups so you can check them out

·
Registered
938 Posts
wow thats a good deal for that rb kit.

skin do have any expirience with that kit? :p

i like to ride tracks mostly, im not a huge jumper or anything, i just want a rear end that will keep up with my bshells, i already have an ishock, but im just using the stock swingarm right now. money isnt to much of an issue, not that im loaded or anything, just a matter of saving up, just not really scared to spend money on the 50 i guess. :wink: thanks again

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Hey thor what I would do is save yourself some money and get either a Sano ,Five O ,or factory metals swing arm it works perfect with the bombshells and since you already have the Ishock why spend the extra money .

Since you only ride tracks and don't hit the big jumps 2 inches is all you need to extend your swing arm . all the above mentoined swingarms work great 6 inches of plush travel and great looks too

what kit are you asking if I have experience with ?

PS. the extended swingarm will make the rear end softer so you just crank up the preload on the shock and bamm it works great

·
Registered
938 Posts
oh i was asking about the red baron swingarm/ frame.

ya i dont want to stay with a stock style swingarm, i bottom the shock out way to easily with the stock swingarm, so an extended swingarm will just make it bottom easier. ill probably end up going with the lahaye swingarm, sounds pretty good. thanks for the info, you really helped me out, thanks again :D

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You'll bottom the lahaye just as easy. Sorry buddy, you your best bet is the SANO SWINGARM with ISHOCK ...

No shock is quite up to par with the bombshells. Ishock works great with a sano swingarm and a little stiffer spring.

·
Registered
938 Posts
you sure about that? i dont know but something tells me it will take more to bottom out 10.5" of rising rate travel compared to 6" falling rate travel... especially since the lahaye uses a resprung/revalved shock... :wink:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Not positive. But they both have the same ammount of shaft drive...

I dont too much about suspension, or even motor for that matter, just pointing out something, and I could be TOTALLY wrong. And if I am, explain why, its always helpful to know why.

Also, im pretty sure they respring / revalve there ishocks, not because the ishock doesnt work good stock, but because how they have theres almost vertical.

·
Registered
938 Posts
ya see, even though the sano and lahaye use the same shock, they use them in two completly different ways. a big bike setup(lahaye) yields much more travel that will be plush for small bumps, then stiffen up for big hits as it gets closer to the end of the stroke(rising rate), even with the same shock. also they probably revalve/spring the shock because that setup puts more leverage on the shock, so they probably make it stiffer.

if you look at a big bike's shock, they really dont have that much shaft stroke, an ishock almost has the same amount, but its the way the it is used that yields 12" of travel(which the lahaye's first design also had).

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Ok here is how the suspension works . there is what we call leverage ratios . now on a XR/CRF you see a cradle style swing arm with the lower shock mount distance from the swingarm pivot about 7 to 8 inches and the shock drive is almost level with the upper shock mount . if you notice on the up stroke the swing arm is using all the shaft length of the shock this why at first people installed longer shocks to increase travel . now to increase travel without increasing the shocks shaft length you move the shock mount point closer to the swing arm pivot point the closer it gets the higher your leverage ratio becomes now there is one more factor in leverage ratio the distance from the rear axel ito the the swingarm pivot point ( hence your shock feeling softer when you add a longer swingarm) but this distance is not as critical as the first . now you see in a BBR style pro frame that the lower shock mount is very close this is wy they have a beefy shock spring but if you look at the shock the shaft is very short but it still yeilds 6 " of travel . now they did have problems with the paioli shock because it was not properly valved for this high of leverage so the only way to stifen the shock is crank the preload up by tighting the spring but anyone who has half a brain knows this defeats the perpose of the shock. quiker rebound makes the whoop sections difficult and makes your rear wheel hop off the jumps not to mention making cornering harder .

Now to let you know why I like Lahaya's set up it has been properly sprung with the right shock and valving plus the pivot points were well thought out . look when you sit on your bike have you ever noticed that the rear sags and front just pops out more without the front forks even moving a inch that is a sign of improper suspension when you sit on your bike it should go up and down in the front and rear . I use Bombshells on our pro riders bike and they work well with the Lahaya set up .No offence KJ but Sanos swing arm (that is made by Billetware) only has 5 inches of travel . it is a excelent swing arm but we get faster lap times with the Lahaya set up You can ask Ken Johnson how fast our riders are he will tell you. so if want my opinion proper valving with more travel is always he way to go

Yes dude I know how to spell but my typing needs work

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yes you are right we did have a problem with the shock (we lost rebound control) . I spoke to Brian today ( owner of Ishock ) he said Derrin (the technical Guy at Ishock) would give me a call .It looks like the valving Josh did had some type of failer . but I beleive this fixable . you know there is always R&D for any product and I'am sure Ishock will solve this problem . so I'am still behind this product .

Josh is a great guy and I'am sure once this problem is solved he will fix it on his new set ups

Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.