PlanetMinis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a little more grunt - considering installing the BBR or similar 88cc kit w/ stock head/exhaust/carb (w/ uni filter)

On a tight budget - would this provide pretty good bang for the buck or is there anything else for cheap power yall would recommend?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the links @dirtbkr188, and @tmas.

Reading up on it, it seemed the jury was still out on the HD oil pump although I'm leaning towards doing it while I'm in the motor.

My stock carb works well, so I'll explore I guess a bigger jet or going up on the clip (never done before).

What are yalls thoughts on a little bit taller drive gear to get some use out of first gear? Also, does the CDI help as mine seems to rev to the moon already?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Piggybacking here. If you shop around, you can get a BBR 88cc kit, with cam for around the same money as the TB kit when you add a cam. Assuming you want to keep the stock carb, is adding the cam the way to go for this and is there any difference between the 2s offerings.

I have read that BBRs kits are made in Taiwan, as is TBs. the real difference between the two is when you get a kit with a carb as the bbr comes with a gen carb. I’ve run TB parts with great success (108cc race head in my street Z50) but since the prices are so close, wondering which way to go on a new dirt build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
578 Posts
The 88cc kit will leave you disappointed. For most power for the price the way to go is get a Chinese 110 or 125 engine. Or wait until BF for the tbparts 25% off sale.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I get it but I’m not looking for a huge gain. This motor needs a rebuild so I wanted to add a bit of punch to it without getting carried away. I prefer to keep it Honda where I can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
more basic question...define budget?
@fatcaat

Just bang for the buck without dropping a ton of money on the bike. OK with doing it in couple hundred dollar increments but don't want to turn this into my other toys where I doubled the purchase price in mods:LOL:

If I go 88/108 w/ race head then I'm getting into a whole 'nother animal of power. And then I'll need to upgrade exhaust, clutch, etc. to handle the extra power...

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Looking for a little more grunt - considering installing the BBR or similar 88cc kit w/ stock head/exhaust/carb (w/ uni filter)

On a tight budget - would this provide pretty good bang for the buck or is there anything else for cheap power yall would recommend?
@fatcaat

Just bang for the buck without dropping a ton of money on the bike. OK with doing it in couple hundred dollar increments but don't want to turn this into my other toys where I doubled the purchase price in mods:LOL:

If I go 88/108 w/ race head then I'm getting into a whole 'nother animal of power. And then I'll need to upgrade exhaust, clutch, etc. to handle the extra power...
It is good you are familiar with how easily these things spin out of control! The 88cc kit with stock head and performance cam will give you a big improvement over a stock 50. Seems like that is what you are leaning towards anyway, and then you could add a bigger carb and pipe later.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My take is a T/b 88cc barrel kit, next main jet size up, one tooth larger front sprocket and then adjust needle clip to tune. Bigger oil pump not necessary unless your racing it hard.
Yes, not a rocket ship, but such a huge improvement over stock. Makes the bike pull with adults far easier, doubles the torque, makes you lazy as you dont have to change gears so much, improves top speed, no change in induction or exhaust noise (pods make a bit more noise), remains as bullet proof as the original Honda as really you just have bigger cylinder & piston.
Not a downside, but starting the bike becomes different. With the extra compression and the way the kick mechanism goes through the centrifugal clutch you need a different smoother starting approach where you roll the kick starter down. Kids (and adults) just need to get used to this !

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pulled the trigger on the 88cc kit, 20mm carb, and race cam for stock head. Opted for the oil pump as well.

Figure I'll put the 88cc kit on first while keeping everything else stock, and doing a comparison between the stock and 20mm carb to test how I like the throttle response.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I ended up going with the BBR 88 kit with cam. Found it for $160 bones. No oil pump. I’m excited for the added torque.

The TB kits are great. My road bike went from their 88 with race head to the 108cc stroker and have zero complaints and no issues.

Probably a good idea to really check the stock head while the bike is apart. All this work slapped onto a bike with a leaking valve isn’t going to be amazing:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts