PlanetMinis Forums banner

A challenge to Suppliers -- TDC Device

1K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  geezer 
#1 ·
50 years ago when I had a 1954 AJS, we used a dial indicator to go through the spark plug hole to indicate when the piston was at TDC.

We that are interested on performance want to know the real TDC, not what the marks indicate. They could be wrong.

How many of you would buy one of these?

I'm ready to buy one.

Don

#5 ·
I too have built a few of them.

It is easy in theory, but not so easy in practice for these engines.

The problem is the angle of the spark plug. The angle is so shallow that the indicator wants to bend instead of deflect. You really need a bent tip (in a bent tube) on the end so that when the pistons pushes the indicator retracts instead of bending.

It only took me a half hour to adapt one for my dial indicator, but you would need a friction free one to work good.

So which commercial ones work good and which don't.

So which ones are in your tool box and which ones are in the trash bin?

How much are the marks off on your engine?

Don

#14 ·
Since these are just pitbikes and not formula one race engines, 99% of those here will be fine using that little"T" mark on your flywheel.

And a dial indicator if read and used propely will work very well at finding TDC.

The same way as the "stop" method, just pay attention and split the difference.

#16 ·
All due respect to Geezer, that is not actually the only true way to do it

To use a dial indicator, and note the pointer reading at about 1mm before tdc, and 1mm beyond tdc, measured in piston travel. Then the pointer position exactly halfway between these readings is exact TDC.

#18 ·
Matified said:
All due respect to Geezer, that is not actually the only true way to do it

To use a dial indicator, and note the pointer reading at about 1mm before tdc, and 1mm beyond tdc, measured in piston travel. Then the pointer position exactly halfway between these readings is exact TDC.
I thought that was what he said. I build drag race engines and use the piston stop-both directions,and split on degree wheel. also use duration@.050 when degree cams.On race car engines that is. Im in the 1%.Sure you can get really close shoving a wire in the hole and see how far it comes out too.Its all good.I dont know these engines-Yet.Or how close factory is what i mean. Is there something i missed on the piston stop split method?

#19 ·
geezer said:
I thought that was what he said. I build drag race engines and use the piston stop-both directions,and split on degree wheel. also use duration@.050 when degree cams. Im in the 1%.Sure you can get really close shoving a wire in the hole and see how far it comes out too.Its all good.I dont know these engines-Yet.Or how close factory is what i mean.
I guess FPM was trying to say a dial indicator was not accurate for finding TDC, and only the stop method was the end all , I agree that is a solid method and most practical.

Since the OP was referring to a dial indicator, I was confirming that , Yes one can find TDC with one properly set up and used.

#21 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

I made one that has an adjustable length. The adjustable length came in handy so I could get a reasonable length.

The picture shows the double locknutted inner part set up for the length I used. It sticks out about an inch.

As best as I could tell, TDC on my Chinese large flywheel is about 1/16 inches off. That translates to about 1.6 degrees off. If the marks show you have 20 degrees lead, then you have 21.6

Not a lot, but if you are on the ragged edge, ...

Does any else know how much some flywheels are off?

Don

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.