PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everyone might remember my journey in giving the Z50 a big makeover many years back (conversion into a monoshock, KTM Marzocci forks, 88cc).
Well my kids aren't kids anymore, and we are using the bikes (xr50 & Z50r) commonly for long trail adventures, so round 2 of conversions about to take place. I've also been inspired by Uncle Voodoo's adventures on his Monkeybike on Youtube, though he's more into Royal Enfields of late.

Thinking of the following upgrades now for long term use for the minis as trail or camp bikes that we can carry a full backpack and overnight gear. I have lots of great hike gear like jungle hammocks, cooking stuff etc and do many 3-4 day self sufficient hikes so we can carry all that we need camp wise in our backpacks nicely.

My potential bike mod list so far is :
  • Baja hand guards
  • Contemplating a 10" front alloy front wheel for the Z to fit a skinnier narrower knobby ... like the XR50. Narrower seems to steer better.
  • Lighting coil, lights, battery storage & a power outlet for camp lights. Z so fuel frugal could almost run at idle at night for lights rather than having a battery !
  • Retrofitting a Honda Grom rack. Seems better priced to modifying a new Grom rack to fit the Z
  • Fitting a Sprindex rear spring. Then I can alter the spring rate to deal with a heavy backpack, wind back if we are back to normal riding.
  • Fitting canister tubes somehow for rods, tools etc

Anyone think of any other mods that might be useful let me know ? Thanks in advance if you can help.... and of course will do a thread on the new mods when I start !
Cheers
Darrie

·
Registered
675 Posts
4 speed and stroker crank/race head so the engine wont be wound out all the time. Other than that I think your list is pretty solid. looking forward to seeing the next level.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
4 speed and stroker crank/race head so the engine wont be wound out all the time. Other than that I think your list is pretty solid. looking forward to seeing the next level.
Cheers ... Stroker crank/race head would really give it some life, but worried then about losing the low end torque & fuel economy. Keeping it quiet also, would be criminal to not change the exhaust after those mods !
But great call on the 4 speed though. When I went to 88cc it needed a re-gear so went one tooth up in the front. 1st is still incredibly low, pulls hard in top gear but revs a lot so I might start with a trying a smaller rear sprocket.

Does a 4 speed give you a taller top gear ? I remember reading some aftermarket 4 speeds just tend to give you closer ratios and not much variation overall. Great call to investigate gearing though, most often on the trail I'm in top gear, 2nd climbs just about everything.

Edit ... I now see the AHP 4 speed gives you yet another taller gear which is great, but requires case splitting. Think I'd be mad not stroking it if I split the cases !

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thinking also of a long range tank off an XR250 and a possible seat upgrade to match !
Logo Carmine Toy Symbol Plastic

Think it would suit the Z or is that sacrilege adding an Xr logo ?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Cheers ... Stroker crank/race head would really give it some life, but worried then about losing the low end torque & fuel economy. Keeping it quiet also, would be criminal to not change the exhaust after those mods !
But great call on the 4 speed though. When I went to 88cc it needed a re-gear so went one tooth up in the front. 1st is still incredibly low, pulls hard in top gear but revs a lot so I might start with a trying a smaller rear sprocket.

Does a 4 speed give you a taller top gear ? I remember reading some aftermarket 4 speeds just tend to give you closer ratios and not much variation overall. Great call to investigate gearing though, most often on the trail I'm in top gear, 2nd climbs just about everything.

Edit ... I now see the AHP 4 speed gives you yet another taller gear which is great, but requires case splitting. Think I'd be mad not stroking it if I split the cases !
Ha, see that is why I said stroker crank because you are splitting the cases to put in the 4 speed. And engine spinning at lower RPM making more torque will give you better fuel economy than a smaller engine wrung out.
Your builds tell me that you are competant enough to adapt a larger stock muffler to gain flow with less noise.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I like the fat tires. How about a 10/12" fat tire setup.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Don't look for Baja specific hand guards, you'll never find them. Go with some that are the same style - XR250350/500/600, easier to find.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like the 4 speed is a good call ....its just like an extra gear, but I've first gone first for a cheap 32T rear dropping from the 37, will see how that impacts on 1st gear and top speed (will be a 14T/32T combo) before heading down that path.

I now like the idea of a stroker kit, but thinking how that impacts on clutch and starting. Trying to keep the Z semi auto box so friends can ride.

And I see the point re forget looking for Baja handguards ! Struggling with any handguards as they all seem to be for full sized bikes, whereas bars on the minis aren't as wide so retro fitting is an issue. Even my XR600 guards are way to big. The issue is the handlebars and lever size ... about 10.5" of flat before dropping on a fullsize but 7" on the minis. That makes fitment an issue, you need a much smaller brush guard. Still researching.

Re springs, gone for a cheap $35 450lb out of Taiwan before going for the Sprindex variable rate which is a lot of pennies ($188). I want to confirm 450lb is the ideal spring weight first with the rear rack and adult on board before adding an expensive adjustable spring. I will move the 450lb to the XR50 & use the variable spring on the Z if that rate works. The good news is with that variable spring you can dial up the rate & can take a child pillion on the Z or a backpack. I miss that with the standard Z .. dual shocks enabled an adult and child on a Z together, just can do that at present with the mono & 400lb spring. BTW the 450lb can be dialed up to 490 (11%) ( or rather starts at 490 and is dialed down to 450), not sure what base spring rate after mods and if 40lb of adjustment will cut it. A second spring altogether as a spare to cycle in for trips might be the go.

re 10" front, thinking not so fat but rather a really curved good 10" rear knobby on the 2.5" rim alloy rim. Too fat and steering is just not so nimble. The difference between a chinese knobby and the snowhog up front is chalk & cheese... snowhog 4.80-8" way slower at turning. thinking the biggest rear knobby for a crf50 should be a good steer tire on the front of the Z if I can get a good pattern. Still researching this option.

·
Administrator
10,460 Posts
I don't think the 88cc will be enough engine with a 14/32 final drive setup, even with a 4-speed trans IMO

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
For your purposes, I wouldn't add a stroker crank. I think 50cc would actually be enough...geared low.
Typically the stroker crank adds torque, and speed...but it also adds a oil cooler, carb, and exhaust. You're just lookin for a mule, to haul your gear, slowly, up and down a trail. And a fuel mizer power supply.
I'm not sure a longer stroke is necessary. For me, I would just be tempted to go too fast all the time...just because I could.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For your purposes, I wouldn't add a stroker crank. I think 50cc would actually be enough...geared low.
Typically the stroker crank adds torque, and speed...but it also adds a oil cooler, carb, and exhaust. You're just lookin for a mule, to haul your gear, slowly, up and down a trail. And a fuel mizer power supply.
I'm not sure a longer stroke is necessary. For me, I would just be tempted to go too fast all the time...just because I could.
I'm running the 88cc and yes WOT on the blacktop has become common practice ! The Xr50r is slightly faster than the Z so hoping the regear through the sprocket change helps keep them at similar top speeds.

dirtbkr188 ... that sprocket change is a bit of a planned gamble...will try the 14/32 & if it fails & wont haul at top then I have the 13/32 to fall back on (I have my original front sprocket). From the web speed calculators the new 14/32 gives me roughly a 6mph top speed gain above my 14/37, but if too much I can go back to 13/32 and its about 3mph more than the current. The best planned approach I could come up with so I don't have a shelf of sprockets !

Currently I seem to never be in first & always in top gear on the trails, but that may change with additional weight. Funny it was the opposite with the stock 50cc ... took forever to get to top gear & you were constantly shifting to hold speed & it would hardly pull top gear. Hopefully I can find a nice balance.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
And I see the point re forget looking for Baja handguards ! Struggling with any handguards as they all seem to be for full sized bikes, whereas bars on the minis aren't as wide so retro fitting is an issue. Even my XR600 guards are way to big. The issue is the handlebars and lever size ... about 10.5" of flat before dropping on a fullsize but 7" on the minis. That makes fitment an issue, you need a much smaller brush guard. Still researching.
Sorry, didn't consider this. I know they make bark busters for minis, but they aren't handguards like you desire.

These just came up, you could always buy them via Buyee or another third party service.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry, didn't consider this. I know they make bark busters for minis, but they aren't handguards like you desire.

These just came up, you could always buy them via Buyee or another third party service.
Thank you, may try that Buyee as suggested.

We have vines in the rainforest here in North Queensland that hang down razor claw tendrils called wait-a-whiles as it takes a minute to dehook yourself. Looking for the plastic guards that keep them off your gloves !
God knows how early explorers forded through our forests !

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Gathering the goods ...
Handguards
Bark busters
A rack to modify given no such thing other than unobtainable Baja racks:
Pack
Tank bag still in question ! Need space for my knees, so something like these may become my pannier bags.
An easy "Adventure" build on an already top platform, can't wait to share my first serious adventure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts