PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons got the Takegawa Hyper R stage kit on his CRF50, the bike runs well when it gets moving but on some starts if the throttle is pulled open quickly it bogs and stalls? The carb is a VM26! He is running the heavy duty auto clutch. It's currently running a 17.5 pilot and a 150 main, what are you guys running? I've tried tuning with the air screw but that hasn't worked either.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
try something smaller. a 26mm carb may be to big.

try a 22 or a 20.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes they come with the 26mm, yes they do fly with it on there... yes you will get bog...

I suffered 18mths refusing to admit the carb was too big on the very same setup....But they are too big for most tracks.. Bloody good top end.. but Crap low down.. i then changed to a 22mm mikuni and it flew..

I now run a crf70 bottm end with a stage r top end.. ****** inner rotor and a pukka Keihn 20 carb.. and it the best i've ever had any 88.. Rips..

but back to your prob.. i used to run a 17.5 and a 180 main i think..lightened flywheel does help if you want to stick with the vm26.. i ran one on mine with it..and just down to trial and error with the needle and air screw then...

Rup

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rupx said:
Yes they come with the 26mm, yes they do fly with it on there... yes you will get bog...

I suffered 18mths refusing to admit the carb was too big on the very same setup....But they are too big for most tracks.. Bloody good top end.. but Crap low down.. i then changed to a 22mm mikuni and it flew..

I now run a crf70 bottm end with a stage r top end.. ****** inner rotor and a pukka Keihn 20 carb.. and it the best i've ever had any 88.. Rips..

but back to your prob.. i used to run a 17.5 and a 180 main i think..lightened flywheel does help if you want to stick with the vm26.. i ran one on mine with it..and just down to trial and error with the needle and air screw then...

Rup

I'm running the same pilot but the main is slightly smaller, have you still got the engine, can you check your air screw and needle valve setting?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
Bear in mind Tak's kits are targetted towards STREET riding, where you generally don't thwack the throttle at low speed. They expect users to be willing to sacrifice low speed fast throttle response for ultimate top end on the road.

·
Registered
333 Posts
26 is toooooooo big for an 88. My 88-r stage used a 22mm and i thought that didnt have enough bottom end. no amount of tuning that 26 is gonna get rid of your low end bog. 20mm is really the way to go, but the 22 will work good, especially on out door tracks. I know some people try the 24 and have had a real hard time dialing them in on a 88-r.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
mxstar1 said:
26 is toooooooo big for an 88. My 88-r stage used a 22mm and i thought that didnt have enough bottom end. no amount of tuning that 26 is gonna get rid of your low end bog. 20mm is really the way to go, but the 22 will work good, especially on out door tracks. I know some people try the 24 and have had a real hard time dialing them in on a 88-r.
gotta agree with that... i ran a 24 just to see what it was like and although the thing would scream in the top end, there was little to no low end power to speak of, even when jetted correctly... I went to a 20mm, run the stock pilot, 87 main and needle in the 2nd clip from the bottom and it runs flawlessly

how are you guys getting away with such huge main jets on 88's? i've jetted 124 SE's with big carbs and race pipes that only needed 105-110 main jets *shrugs*

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Mikuni jets are rated different.

Flow # rather than an actual size.

On my Keihin copy (Shengway) 20mm I run a 90 main. Switch to a Mikuni VM20 same 88, I run a 120-130 main.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.