PlanetMinis Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still slowly working on my Z50 project. I'm getting ready to paint the frame and have another question before it is painted.

There is a "tab" welded to the frame on left side above the drive sprocket. It was bent at some point so I kinda straightened it out thinking that it was for the wire harness coupler. Now after more thought I'm not so sure about that. Does anybody have a picture of the correct shape of this tab? Or can you tell me should it be bent or straight?
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Hood Wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
4,387 Posts
Kind of hard to see, but it is bent at a ninety degree angle. The bracket is used to hold the plastic electrical connector block.This is a picture of a 1980 frame. I would suggest heating the bracket carefully with a torch till the little peaks where it is supposed to bend turn bright red, then let it cool and bend it. Because the metal is so thin, it won't take much heat to do this, so be gentle with your heat. Doing this will take any work hardening out of the bend, and make it less likely it will stress-crack when you bend it back.
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You davmo. So I was wrong in bending it straight. But right to ask before painting. Haha. Good advice to heat it before bending, I was concerned about breaking it if I had to straighten out my error. I will do as you say.

Thanks again,
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
4,387 Posts
Thank You davmo. So I was wrong in bending it straight. But right to ask before painting. Haha. Good advice to heat it before bending, I was concerned about breaking it if I had to straighten out my error. I will do as you say.

Thanks again,
Cheers
They are usually mangled at best, and busted quite often, but yours looks salvable. The 1979 is a really cool bike in my opinion. Still has the big wheel hub/ brakes, and lighting stator like the models before it, and adjustable high handlebars. The still available Monkey exhausts are very similar in appearance to the 79 one should you need a replacement, or chrome cover. I am working on a restoration of one right now.

·
Super Moderator
4,387 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts